Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a boost gauge and a mounting cup to put on the steering column, much like the one in the competition package.

i was wondering, how did you guys mount them to the steering column, does the plastic part come off easily so i can drill the holes??

id appreciate the help and enlightenment on it, even though i havent looked at it yet.

also, where did you run the wires, is it pretty easy to hide them?

anyone who has any experience or knowledge on the subject can feel free to chime in as well, thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The steering column is just two plastic pieces put together, it should pry apart with a little force. You could just drill a hole in the top column piece to run the wires through.

·
Registered
535 Posts
matt said:
The steering column is just two plastic pieces put together, it should pry apart with a little force. You could just drill a hole in the top column piece to run the wires through.
Pritty much what he said. I decided to not drill so I have the option of moving the hole setup later. All in all, it was about a 30 minute install with a freind and I.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you put the wires through to the engine bay and where did you tap into the power supply for the light on the gauge?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I tapped power from the power window fuze in the fuze box inside the center console. To reach the engine bay I went though a small hole behind the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now here is the amateur in electronics in me coming out........my guess is that there are 3 wires, the boost "signal", the positive, and the ground wire......am i correct? the only wire i truly need is the boost wire, since the gauge will be mechanical, am i correct in saying this?

i am by no means an auto electronics expert......im better with body and mechanical work.....but still no professional :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
all I did was take the top of the steering column off and you will see a white wire connector with about five wires in it. I simply put the positive wire in the second hole which controls you head lights and the negative to the closest screw, that way the guage light turns on and off with my lights. The wire stays in there pretty good and has never came out. I also went through a small hole near the brake pedal to reach the engine bay. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot, ill be ordering the parts tonight so hopefully the install ill be done by next weekend. i appreciate the help....

either way if i cant get the power connected to the gauge yet, at least itll be working...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
now here is the amateur in electronics in me coming out........my guess is that there are 3 wires, the boost "signal", the positive, and the ground wire......am i correct? the only wire i truly need is the boost wire, since the gauge will be mechanical, am i correct in saying this?

i am by no means an auto electronics expert......im better with body and mechanical work.....but still no professional :p
I've been trying to create some detailed instructions for doing this for a while. I've been waiting to actually 100% confirm the ECM calibration on the Perf Pack equipped Redline is identical, but I've yet to be able to do that. So there's still some unknowns. Sounds like others have managed to make the ladder tach work but the boost gage may be a problem (if the ECM is not sending out the signal). In any case here's what I have compiled to this point.Like I said it's still a bit incomplete, but should be enough for most to use as a starting point.(Has to divide it into 2 pdfs as per forum max size limit)
Enjoy
Regards
WopOnTour

*BE FORWARNED* USE THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS GAGE UNIT WILL EVER WORK IN 2004 or 2005 REDLINES THAT WERE NOT EQUIPPED WITH THE COMPETITION PACKAGE FROM FACTORY.

*EDIT:6/10/2005 Changed info on connecting backlighting in PDF#1

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn't install my gauge on the steering colum, but did tap into the wires that are running under there. The steering colum is held together by 2 screws and then just snaps apart in 3 different pieces. Very easy to remove and re-install.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Please Be Aware
That after a number of gage unit installations from forum members now have confirmed that the shift lights work OK BUT the boost gage does NOT work- at least on the 2004s (2005 is still unknown). Hopefully that is something that can be rectified via programming somehow. (we couldnt know until someone tried) I am pursuing this with GM-Techline to see if there's a way to reprogram the cars w/o the Competition Package to work. But there's no guarantee it will ever be something they will support.
For now I guess you could either put in a different boost gage or maybe something like the Aeroforce unit.

PLEASE
If anyone has installed these parts on a 2005 OR has purchased an 05 WITH the Competition Package (or a Saturn Tech that has access to a RL with the Comp Pac) -Please PM me, maybe we can help the 04 guys to make it work.
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you are talking about the competition package boost gauge right?

cuz i mean im planning on installing my own autometer one, i already have it ordered.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how did you guys get at the tube that you fed through the brake area, seems impossible for me to grab it and pull it up to hook up to my vacuum line.

also, exactly where did you hook your's up to the headights?

like i said, ive never really dealt with electric this much before, but ill be ok as long as i know exactly where to do it.

also, last question, how'd u hide all the wires, especially goin down to the brake area?

thanks alot guys!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
how did you guys get at the tube that you fed through the brake area, seems impossible for me to grab it and pull it up to hook up to my vacuum line.

also, exactly where did you hook your's up to the headights?

like i said, ive never really dealt with electric this much before, but ill be ok as long as i know exactly where to do it.

also, last question, how'd u hide all the wires, especially goin down to the brake area?

thanks alot guys!
Brake area? Not sure what you mean exactly there... where are you putting it through the firewall at? Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, they said they were putting it through the firewall around the brake pedal....sorry i was just kinda being lazy and not thinking about what i was saying.

i know how to find holes in the firewall and feed wires through it, i used to do that alot while hooking up systems and such.....

my question is exactly where you guys fed it through and led it up towards the vacuum line without danger of it being near heat or being crimped while driving. plus how did you grab it to lead it up towards the top of the engine bay?

another question is exactly which wires were tapped for the light in the gauge....that way i dont have to use a voltmeter or search around.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I pushed a new hole into one of the rubber grommets around a wiring harness. It's up, slightly to the left of the pedals, you need to pull the carpet and padding out of the way a bit. I need to go back and check mine for crimps too, I'm only hitting like 11.5 on it, or it could just be off .5 psi... I hooked into the fuse box for the lights, my light is always on, on the boost gauge.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
i may just do that. did you use the fuse tappers?
No, but I have to go back and clean up the install, I'm lazy, and find a permenant home for that stuff.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you and me both man, haha......the lazy part that is

ya just want it working and ull be happy right? thats what i usually think before i install stuff, and then afterwards ur like...damn, i shoulda done it the right way the entire way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts