Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my dealer to see if they finally got any 05 Red Lines in. Sure enough they had one out front almost exactly how I would get mine. It was Chilli Pepper red with the Red Line wing and sunroof, only thing is I wouldn't get a sunroof. This color looks absolutely hot with the sun shining on it. Anyways I go to check out the car, as soon as I get to the car one of the salesmen I know tells me to check it out and he'll get the keys for it. Sweet :D I just started it up and reved it up a few times, unfortunately the were not letting anyone drive it yet since they just got it in. :( Sitting in it and revving it up a few times made me realize my car absolutely blows, and made me feel dissapointed as I left the dealer. What also sucks is that I can't decide what to do, get a Red Line with the Competition Package or wait until next year. Next year the Sky is going to be offered in a Red Line package, and it is supposed to have a turbo 2.0 ecotec with 245 HP. I have a feeling this engine might be used in the 06 Red Line possibly.

In conclusion, Chilli Pepper red looks sexy as hell on the Red Lines and I must have one. :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
matt said:
Next year the Sky is going to be offered in a Red Line package, and it is supposed to have a turbo 2.0 ecotec with 245 HP. I have a feeling this engine might be used in the 06 Red Line possibly.
Hearing stuff like that always makes me feel sorta left-out. Newbies will have a more powerful engine and we'll be stuck with a less-powerful, older engine. That's just how I feel but we'll no longer be on top of the game if this happens.

I guess I'm just bitter.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have 2000 miles on mine and it keeps getting better.I dont have a sunroof either but it is no big thing to me.You can wait and wait because there is always something new coming but you will never have anything either the choice is yours.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to wait until the end of the year anyways before I get one. That way I can get all of the 05 closeout discounts. Surely by then there will be a definate answer if the Red Line will get the turbo 2.0 or not.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My daddio (father) works for GM and he told me not to tell, but I'm going to anyway - the R/L IS going to get a different engine in a couple years (he said 2007, though), but he wasn't sure as to specifics; higher output is definite. However, I'm DEFINITELY going to agree with Chazb; if you want the car, have the finances, etc., buy it. Don't worry about what's coming next year, because if you're continually waiting and waiting for something bigger & better, you'll never have anything. Plus, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
My daddio (father) works for GM and he told me not to tell, but I'm going to anyway - the R/L IS going to get a different engine in a couple years (he said 2007, though), but he wasn't sure as to specifics; higher output is definite. However, I'm DEFINITELY going to agree with Chazb; if you want the car, have the finances, etc., buy it. Don't worry about what's coming next year, because if you're continually waiting and waiting for something bigger & better, you'll never have anything. Plus, you won't be disappointed.
Yeah, I knew the new engine was coming in '07 and it's getting quite a bit more power. My dad works for Saturn, so I get to hear about all the new cool things firsthand. I figured maybe they might put in the turbo 2.0 for 06, unlikely, but who knows. I'm not in a huge rush to have the car, so I'll see what happens at the end of the year.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
matt said:
Yeah, I knew the new engine was coming in '07 and it's getting quite a bit more power. My dad works for Saturn, so I get to hear about all the new cool things firsthand. I figured maybe they might put in the turbo 2.0 for 06, unlikely, but who knows. I'm not in a huge rush to have the car, so I'll see what happens at the end of the year.
I wouldn't count on seeing it with a turbo, GM has a serious distaste for turbos. Otherwise, there would have been alot less development time on this car, they would have used the Saab setup. It was already on the 2.0, they yanked it off to put a supercharger on it. I don't want a turbo either, I MUCH prefer the supercharger over the turbo. What I'm seeing, is more and more GM cars coming with superchargers, they might go the turbo route, but I'd be pretty dissapointed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
turbo is going in mine anyway ;) shhh

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like everyone has said, i doubt they'd go with the turbo. Saturns are (lets face it) for the "average" person. A turbo takes a bit more care than the "average" car driver is used to giving to their car (e.g. letting it warm up and cool down before and after hard driving). I would think maybe that they're going to go with the M90. 50% more supercharger displacement, and not a huge size difference.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i bet they'll be using a beefed up version of the 2.4 w/turbo as the HO version of the solstice/sky, and it will find it's way into plenty of other gm cars, but i'd prefer they stick to S/C their cars

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
05IsAlive said:
Like everyone has said, i doubt they'd go with the turbo. Saturns are (lets face it) for the "average" person. A turbo takes a bit more care than the "average" car driver is used to giving to their car (e.g. letting it warm up and cool down before and after hard driving). I would think maybe that they're going to go with the M90. 50% more supercharger displacement, and not a huge size difference.
Why wouldn't they just improve the engine under the hood already? People are convinced that this thing can handle 300+ horsepower. Why would they not just do it like the SRT's? Bump up the power another 20hp or so? The Cobalt and the Ion share the engine, and I seriously doubt they're going to scrap any part of it with less than 10,000 cars sold. It makes no sense economically. It has nothing to do with the turbos being for 'enthusiasts' either, else you'd have no turbos in Audi, VW's, Imprezas, or a host of other cars that 'average' people drive every day. GM dosen't like turbos, and they never have. It's just not thier thing, they prefer lower-revving, high torque motors, and thats not a turbos best area. If you see a turbo set up on the Sky, it's because they jacked the engine from the Opel Speedster. Turbos have been out there for decades, almost as long as superchargers, but how many do you see on GM cars?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I pray he wouldn't spend the money to replace the supercharger with a turbo charger... that would be the most expensive 10hp upgrade in the world..

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sp00ner said:
I wouldn't count on seeing it with a turbo, GM has a serious distaste for turbos. Otherwise, there would have been alot less development time on this car, they would have used the Saab setup. It was already on the 2.0, they yanked it off to put a supercharger on it. I don't want a turbo either, I MUCH prefer the supercharger over the turbo. What I'm seeing, is more and more GM cars coming with superchargers, they might go the turbo route, but I'd be pretty dissapointed.
From what I've heard from GM sources, GM is going to fade out using superchargers and go to turbos later on. Who knows how soon it will be tough. I don't see why they shouldn't, GM had much succes with turbos on the turbo Buick cars, Syclone, and Typhoon.

Vita said:
i bet they'll be using a beefed up version of the 2.4 w/turbo as the HO version of the solstice/sky, and it will find it's way into plenty of other gm cars, but i'd prefer they stick to S/C their cars
Nope. It's already been announced that the Red Line Sky will have a 253 HP 2.0 turbo Ecotec.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
matt said:
From what I've heard from GM sources, GM is going to fade out using superchargers and go to turbos later on. Who knows how soon it will be tough. I don't see why they shouldn't, GM had much succes with turbos on the turbo Buick cars, Syclone, and Typhoon.
Why retool when you have something that works just fine? Half the people here bought the Redline over something else, due to the instant power of the supercharger. You can say that they're phasing them out, but all I've seen so far is even more cars with them. So if they're going to phase them out, it seem kinds silly to build more and more cars with them. I just don't see them doing it without chaning their whole approach to making power. The day GM starts cranking out high revving turbos, is the day I start buying Fords...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts