Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Clark I've been running 91 octane since I bought it new in '05. I think I may have put 93 or 94 in once. All sources I have checked say that the car requires 91 octane or better due to the low compression (9.5:1) that the car has due to the supercharger setup. The sources also stated that if you put regular 87 octane gas you can get pinging. My dealer told me that the TB was clogging because of the oil from the K&N air filter I put in the factory air box. (k&n p/n e1009) Like mentioned on these forums though, Saturn dealers don't seem to know ****all about the 2.0 LSJ and GM dealers know a bit more due to the fact that Cobalt SS's are much more common
That's what I had always thought. I hadn't heard of the TB buildup being caused by the use of a K&N filter though. The only problems I've heard of caused by the K&N is over-oiling the filter creating buildup on the MAF sensor and throwing codes that way. I realize that the buildup on the TB isn't from the type of fuel used, I just don't really know why it builds up so fast. In the two years that I've owned the car, I've fully removed and thoroughly cleaned the TB three times along with the SC inlet. It does seem that my dealer knows nothing about the LSJ. After all, I had to teach them how the two different cooling systems work and that they are in no way integrated. I guess since they likely only service three RL's none of which are modified at all (including GMPP stage kits, which is all I have), they just don't know much about the engine/car.

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Just to add, if u use steel wool to clean the TB it wont build back up, its like polishing it. I havent have to clean my TB in over 5k miles and i just check on Thursday and still clean the time i steel wooled it lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when you say dont t over tighten! how tight what should they be torqued to? thanks planning to do this this weekend as its running rough and rpms dancing

·
BECAUSE RACECAR
7,440 Posts
Tighten to 18ftlbs on the throttle body bolts.

Ull be gravy then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty sweet

3 rags and a whole lot of gunk later, my car is running smooth. I had 48,000 miles worth built up in there. I only had one problem. . .I couldn't get the damn connector off. Oh well, maybe next time.

-Thanks for the write up, very clearly done. Even for an amateur like me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the plug comes off, there is a little grey plastic piece that pulls out and use a flat head screw drive and push down on the tab it covered, then use the flat head where the grey cap comes off, just did this today and i have 15k miles and it looked like ur throttlebody

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great post!!!! Cleaned out the TB - now the car runs and idles like new. Now I just gotta do that to my '05 QC and my wife's '07 Sedan.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad this helped you guys out. As for the connector, it's just a PITA. No ifs ands or buts about it, that thing is difficult to get apart.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad this helped you guys out. As for the connector, it's just a PITA. No ifs ands or buts about it, that thing is difficult to get apart.
Actually, I found there is a trick to the connector. It's a standard GM click connector. You can either use a small flat-blade screwdriver at the front (closest to the throttle body) and pry it off that way, or there is a tab at the back (by the wires) that you can press down and with enough force, it'll come loose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
okay - I'm a newbie - I'm having a hard time getting the air hose off for some reason...i've loosened both aluminum rings but cant easily pull it off...does it just take some herculean strength to pull the thing off?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
gotta give it some strength and twist gently. Should pull loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great

great post. I took mine apart last night to reveal some nasties. It looked like the inside of an M16 after firing 100 rounds of blanks. After the cleaning, I have noticed quite a difference in performance.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I need a step by step with video on how to get that damn plug off the tb. Guess the previous owner glued it on with gorilla glue.

·
....Just A Saturn My Ass
1,222 Posts
Wow, I cleaned my throttle body and it works much much better. THe car has 87,000km on it and I would say its the first for being cleaned. The only thing that I can complain about is the stuppppid connector to the throttle body, I must of played with it for 15 minutes before I decided to clean it with it still connected. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Wow, I cleaned my throttle body and it works much much better. THe car has 87,000km on it and I would say its the first for being cleaned. The only thing that I can complain about is the stuppppid connector to the throttle body, I must of played with it for 15 minutes before I decided to clean it with it still connected. Thanks for the write up.
Every time I clean mine I try to get the plug off then give up and clean it with it connected.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for the info

I had these problems for a while now (Idle hunting). I came across this how-to, cleaned up my Throttle Body today (it was almost as dirty as my mom), and my Red Line doesn't idle hunt anymore. Check engine light stays off now. I'm not one to pull apart my car since it's my daily driver, but the how-two was easy enough for me to follow.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 110 Posts