Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm fairly new to the forum as I'm fairly new to redline ownership and was just looking around for anything interesting I might like to do to mine to enhance it. This car is a blast! I came across the hunting idle\throttlebody cleaning and wanted to make anyone interested aware that GM has just come out with a reflash to address the idle surge and a posssible PO171, bank 1 lean code, it's 12610924, I also found another reflash to deal with a PO449, evap vent solenoid circuit, it's 12616346, hope this helps - PJ

·
Registered
164 Posts
throttle body clean?

i just bought my redline in late january and my rpm's bounce after shifting to neutral whn driving at highway or faster speeds, would cleaning my throttle body help this problem????
and i am a new member so any help would be great :

·
Registered
27 Posts
AS I stated in my earlier thread, there is a pcm reflash to address that issue that just came out last month, but I don't think cleaning it will hurt, especially if it looks oily/carboned up, just be sure to use a specifically designed throttlebody cleaner and taking it off to clean it( if you can handle it) isn't a bad idea. If that doesn't work to solve your issue then take a trip to a dealer or if you can find an independent repair shop that can reflash for you, good luck-

·
Registered
325 Posts
The idle hunting sounds about right. See if you are throwing any codes yet or have a check engine light. For me, the idle hunting just kept getting worse. I was fine on the highway, once I got into town or pulled up to a light, my idle would hunt like crazy, and it started stalling at lights. I cleaned mine the other day, and my car is idling like new. It was weird for a couple of days pulling up to a light and not feeling like you had to keep the car in neutral and tap the gas a little so it wouldn't stall.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Brake Cleaner also works for this

·
Registered
43 Posts
im going to clean mine this weekend because it surges like crazy hopefully it helps. i should probably clean my cai too.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
At a moderate pace about a half hour. Faster if you've done it before and are booking right along. Slower if your not so sure what you are doing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just cleaned it and it hangs at 2k. I did a good clean job. Spotless. But Idk y it hangs.

Sent from my PB99400 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would a microfiber cloth work r what is the bed way to clean the supercharger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Throttle body hanging up

If you have access to any type of scanner that will show data and check your tps percentage. It should be less than 20% at idle. What your trying to determine is if the throttle is being commanded open causing your high idle speed or is the pcm commanding it correctly and the throttle is not responding. When cleaning the tps make sure when you push it open with your finger it springs back with some force. If you find the pcm is commanding a lot less via the tps reading , look for unmetered air entering the engine, ie. vacuum leak. Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
It only hangs when I'm driving like its got cruise control but when I stop it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
mine did the same thing. I cleaned my MAF with maf cleaner and it was the same at first. Within a few days it was running properly.

Keith-

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's kinda what I figured but I was unsure and a bit confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did mine, had no idea what I was doing and took about 40 minutes. I even wasted time trying replace air cleaner. Looked like new and I could see that was more than I bargained for so I left that for a different time. Car does seem more responsive. Time well spent!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
43 Posts
What did u use to clean the supercharger? If you did that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I only cleaned the supercharger inlet. Sprayed a lint free cloth with TB cleaner and wiped out the inlet with the throttle body removed. I also removed the SCIP sensor and spayed it with MAF cleaner. So far...no more CEL(P1182)! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

41 - 60 of 110 Posts