Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
SO i took mine to a shop and they said i had to replace the throttle body assembly, and if I did it my self, the car wouldn't run because once you change that you have to reprogram it.. is that true or is he full of it?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I do not believe any reprogramming would be required if you use the same size (model) TB. Change size or model, and reprogramming probably needed.

No reason you can't replace it yourself. Did you try cleaning it first? That fixes most idle problems. Or is there something else wrong?

Where you located? There may be a member nearby that would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well he told me that's what needs to be changed. I have the codes P0121, P1516, and P2101. I have not tried cleaning it or anything. Her cars engine light keeps coming on and off, and then the other light comes on with the down arrow, and her car then wont quickly accelerate, it takes awhile and wont go over like 35.

and i live in Las Vegas, NV

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Go see the how to section and try cleaning the TB. I find it needs cleaning about every year, two at the most to keep it running at peak performance. There were a couple of members in LV. I don't know if they are still there or on the forums.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How far down the inlet should you clean?

I recently had the same problem. For no reason whatsoever the car will go into that damn limp mode. I usually just pull over and shut it off for about 2-3 minutes then when I can start it back up without the transmission (with the down arrow) light coming on then I can drive it fine. Then it usually takes about a day for the check engine light to go out...I ended up cleaning the throttle body, which was incredibly dirty, and that fixed the problem for about a month. When the lights came on again coming home from work one day I checked again and the inlet to the SC was dirty as hell already.

How far down the inlet should we be cleaning with the rag? I can only get like half a hand in there and get maybe 6 inches into the inlet cleaned but I can see so much more dirt that goes like 14-18 inches into the inlet.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I reuse the gasket. It is pretty sturdy, but like anything can be damaged if not careful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oil catch can, it will do wonders trust me:D

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just did the TB cleaning today and now it is idling high before it drops and it i hit the gas or in between shifts, it will rise to 1750 rpms before it drops back down to about 800. But I noticed it was smoother when it was not surging. I also cleaned my K&N, could be a little wet still. On top of that I went to NAPA to get spark plugs and they didnt have 4644 or the original NGKs so i bought ACDelco and they are terrible, gotta switch back asap

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The high hanging can be normal for a day after the cleaning it seems

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm about to install a Typhoon this weekend. And while I'm at it...figured I would take the extra lil bit of time to clean my TB as well as the MAF . I bought the dedicated CRC cleaners for each type. But I have a question...car is an 06. And I have read many articles about NOT moving the butterfly valve on the TB while it's off the car or you will need a re-program of the PCM. It always states later model vehicles but never really gives any specific years. So is the 06 IRL late model enough?? Or will it be ok to take it off and move the flap inside ? I already know not to get any of the cleaner inside the SuperCharger...no worries there, just use a damp rag on the inlet only. But any clarification on the TB rule would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I never heard that before. Im pretty sure I moved mine the last two times I cleaned it with no problems afterward. Its spring loaded so it fully closes itself I find it odd that it would cause a problem but maybe I got lucky. Mine is an 07 btw.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was told by a tech once not to mess with it while its still plugged in and the key is in the acc/run position. I dont see how that could ever happen unless one just forgets to take the keys out of the ignition before removing it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You should always take it off to clean it anyway.
Well obviously. The point he was making was not to remove it, or open or close the valve manually while the TB has power going to it. I dont know if you've ever noticed, but the TB valve opens slightly when you turn the key to acc/run.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I'm glad to see a post I wrote so long ago is still proving to be helpful! I never had issues about resetting anything. As was mentioned earlier, completely disconnect the TB from the car before cleaning. The valve is spring loaded, so it will return to a closed position.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well obviously. The point he was making was not to remove it, or open or close the valve manually while the TB has power going to it. I dont know if you've ever noticed, but the TB valve opens slightly when you turn the key to acc/run.
Unplug your tb before doing this. If it has power to it and closes on your finger it will either bend the throttle plate or nearly remove your finger. Unplugging and cleaning (even moving the plate) will only serve to clean your tb. It will NOT mess anything up.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts