Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2006 Redline with 93k miles. When I got the car I installed the updated chain tensioner, but should I be thinking about replacing the whole chain soon? I know they tend to fail.....

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
I had failure on one car at around 140k. And on another car it lasted me until 300k. Really depends on how often you change your oil. But general consensus is between 100-150k

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mileage varies. I replaced the stock chain and gears around 120000 miles, and I have since replaced the timing set again around 170000 miles because I had a coolant leak and I found that it had stretched beyond spec.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Normally, If you hear any chain rattle on startup, you're on borrowed time. GM dealerships always said to have timing chains replaced at 150K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any rattle on start up, just when the motor is good and hot when revving in neutral at around 2k rpm. As the revs fall, I hear the light rattle sounds.....

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
Chain may be stretched then

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just my own personal opinion, but I wouldn't really want to exceed much over 250,000 miles on a chain. You can have a car throw a chain even earlier than that though. You should check the timing chain stretch when you adjust your valves, assuming you have a model that requires manual adjustments. That will give you a good idea of the amount of stretch/wear. That still doesn't rule out the possibility of catastrophic failure of the chain due to guide/tensioner failure, etc. It's probably not a good idea to push life on chains.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have replaced chains here in Vegas since 2006 and its just like stated above: life of chain is directly linked to oil changes.

Often they fail without any prior symptoms (or at least none that owners noticed). Changing prior saves big bucks. Once they fa and wipe out valves it's a whole new set of woes.

I recently changed out a timing set on a 2.4 Equinox (same timing set as Redline) with 140K that was rattling. Owner had only owned it for 4 months. I explained that the oil was nasty and needed changed far more often. They claim they followed the oil life monitor on dash. 15K later it was back with noise again. I pulled the chain and it was stretched and tensioner was almost maxed out. Oil system was down 3 quarts. I had the talk with her again and explained that oil must be changed more often.

Both services I used GM chain kits and and fresh 5W30 oil w Dexos. The chains were stretched to tensioners max. She was very close to an expensive failure.

There are lots of videos out there that can walk you through the process of replacing the chain before failure. Or find someone that can help.

Anyone that wants a trip to Vegas, I would love to help.

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
My 2003 base model, I'm the original owner, first oil life monitor message didn't come on until somewhere in the 52k mile range.
I still change my oil every 3k in all my cars. I don't care if its 5k or 10k oil.
Ecotecs timing chains have taught me to be overly cautious 😂

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm glad to know there arw some who care! So many I encounter just add gas and expect car to last forever.

·
Super Moderator
1,498 Posts
Exactly. My 2016 jeep cherokee is supposed to be every 10k. Nope. Still 3k. The amount of people telling me I'm wasting money is silly. Oil still comes out looking used

1 - 12 of 12 Posts