Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sp00ner said:
I can't believe Cali says you have to have your car to THEIR specs to drive it there. I didn't think they could do that? I was under the impression that one state cannot make a law that effect another state's citizens that are following the laws. Particuarly one that involves changing equipment on your car...
i too find that hard to believe, can anyone in cali confirm this?

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
sheek360 said:
i too find that hard to believe, can anyone in cali confirm this?
I am really sure it is BS, there is some clause in some national document where every state must honor any others states licenses, accreditations, and such.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
snobrdrdan said:
I thought in Florida it was legal to have dark tint all the way around??

I lived down there for a year, and that's what everyone had on their cars (because of the heat)
everyone has it like that, and not many have gotten busted for it. I know in miami atleast, the cops here dont care for that. atleast not city of miami PD, metro dade PD cops have nothing better to do, theres barely any crime there and they are heavily over staffed. they will bust u for nothing. then were alpha and pup lives, the broward sheriff's office can really go either way. depending if its north or southern broward. some of the northern broward cops are anal assholes.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
NoRemorse said:
I am really sure it is BS, there is some clause in some national document where every state must honor any others states licenses, accreditations, and such.
i know there was a clause for military. in texas i never had to smog or register with them cuz i had and was able to keep my FL tag and registration. i didnt even have to put plate in the front bumper, my srt4 was the envy of all the tx srt4's lol, poor srt4's had hot intercoolers cuz of the plates... :mad:

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
just noticed the "any any" in the iowa entry... last i was told (a few years back) it was any amt on the back, nothing but factory ahead of front seat, nothing on windshield, and to the AS-1 line for brow tint

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Interesting....I'm registered in Fla and live in Va. I have 20% on all windows and have 50% on the windshield....I'm going to Cali in April and I am not about to pull anything off my windows.
The rule about enforcing laws on out of state drivers is correct. My buddy who happens to be a cop says that most of the cops won't bother since the tags are out of state, but if you decide to make an ass of yourself they'll look for everything and ping you on it. I believe he quote the local statute and it says something along the lines 'use of the vehicle for more than 6 months in the commonwealth of virginia constitutes a permanent resident and vehicles are required to comply with all said regulations set forth....and the vehicle should be registered in the commonwealth to be considered legal to operate' blah, blah, blah.....basically, don't be an ass and they won't give you a hard time.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
What are the regulations in Puerto Rico?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Been pulled over in PA a few times, and I have 35% mirror tint on all windows but the front. Cops never say anything. Probably cause I'm not a dick to them. Last pull over the cop mentioned it...would've been $106 a window fine, and I technically have 5 windows tinted.

But he just gave me a warning lol

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
rlinbatonrouge said:
What are the regulations in Puerto Rico?
pffft its a joke dude. u can spray paint ur shit black. the cops there are so damn incompatent its absolutely rediculous!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Nevada law is correct, except the windshield. Ntohing to do with the AS-1 line. It's actually a very complex measurement taken with the drivers seat in the full back and down (if height adjustable) position. The bottom edge of the glare strip must not be less than 29" in height as measured from the back edge of the drivers seat cushion. So, take a right angle 29" high, put your seat down and back, set it on the back edge of the seat cushion (don't compress the foam, lol), and wherever the angle stick hits the windshield, that's it. On some cars - last gen F-bodies of rinstance - that's a REALLY big glare strip. On others, it's almost nonexistant, lol.

Not that they enforce our tint laws anyway - all the cops personal cars have illegal tint, lol. You gotta be doin' something really dumb or they're lookin' for a reason to pull you over anyway.

The "applies to out-of-state cars" BS better have some more language attached to it. If I'm driving across country and back and get tickets in different states, they're basically saying I have to oass their state inspection to cross the state lines. I would be filing lawsuites all across the country!

CA are DICKS - and SoCal cops are a special breed of ******* fucking dick pricks not yet defined - when it comes to tint. You can bet your left nut they know the tint laws from your state and WILL pull you over if they sus[ect you're violating them. They'll pull you over for tint in a heartbeat, ESPECIALLY with out of state tags, and SUPER especially NV tags, lol. They know we all have illegal tint, and they can't wait to write that ticket. They don't make us comply with their law, they write unsfe vehilce tickets, make us drive down there to appear, and fine us. We can't fight it, 'cuz the car's illegal here and in order to beat it we'd have to prove it WAS legal here, and they damn well know it. Whoever posted about moving to CA from VA from FL - you're SCREWED, just so you know, lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the MI tint laws.. I read on tint sites that you can have ANY tint all the way around.. but I hear mixed things from people all over. I've heard no tints on fronts, only 35 on fronts, and I've heard numerous times from people getting pulled over and having to pay anywhere from 50-200 bucks a ticket. Does anyone actually know what's up with this? Or am I just not reading these right..?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the MI tint laws.. I read on tint sites that you can have ANY tint all the way around.. but I hear mixed things from people all over. I've heard no tints on fronts, only 35 on fronts, and I've heard numerous times from people getting pulled over and having to pay anywhere from 50-200 bucks a ticket. Does anyone actually know what's up with this? Or am I just not reading these right..?
Michigan law:

Nothing on the windshield
You can only have 4" of tint from the top, on the driver & passenger side windows (which looks dumb, IMO)
You can have however dark you want on the rest of the (back) windows

If you do get tint on the side windows (which I currently have & have had in the past).....it's just a gamble...you just run the risk of getting pulled over & having to pay a ticket and/or forced to remove it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Michigan law:

...you just run the risk of getting pulled over & having to pay a ticket and/or forced to remove it
Do you know how much the ticket is? I'm wondering if it's worth having my front windows tinted or if i should just leave them as is.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Do you know how much the ticket is? I'm wondering if it's worth having my front windows tinted or if i should just leave them as is.
Depends on who pulls you over

On my old Grand Am (years ago!)...I just had "remove it" tickets....they give you a ticket and then you get it taken off then go to a police station and have them sign off on it after they've seen it's been removed

Last year though when I had my GTI, I got pulled over by a Livonia cop and she said that she could've given me a $125 ticket but she just gave me a warning on it instead and didn't have to remove it or anything

The place where I just got my CC tinted in Troy (Sunshades Window Tinting)...they offer a $40 option where if you get busted for tint on your side windows....they'll remove it (so you can show a cop) & then retint them for free.

Whereas it'd cost you waaay more than $40 for them to remove it & then to retint it if you didn't buy that protection

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got Busted by State Police in MI

In MI, the only thing you can have on the front windows is a 4 inch strip from the top (unless you have a doctors note). That looks hideous as you can only imagine. When I bought my Redline last year, the previous owner put 5% all the way around. Well, my $500 radar detector did its job late Friday night but the brain (my brain) didn't. I figured it was just the township cop I've driven past a thousand times...so I didn't roll my windows down. Turned out to be a State Boy (gal actually) and those were flashing lights now in my rear view. I wasn't speeding so I knew what was about to go down. She said that MI now considers it Obstructed View and it carries a fine, as per usual, as well as 3 frickin points! Sooooo, I removed it with a product by Black Magic called Tint-Off. The stuff worked great and I would recommend it to anyone needing to remove tint for any reason. Cost 6 bucks and some change.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts