Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

to install K&N or not install K&N, thats the question

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  nka 
#1 ·
So, My K&N arrived today. And I would like to install the psi-fi kit in the future when it becomes available. I have been reading the posts about codes being thrown and limp mode and so on. I was thinking, if the oil in the filter is the problem would cleaning it before installation and using less oil help any?

#2 ·
Yes...you are on the right track. A couple of the guys have cleaned the oil from the new filter, and then sprayed a very fine coat onto the filter. The purpose of the oil is to catch any dust that may make it through the filter. I talked to GM about this filter problem today, and was told that if you are going to the aftermarket CIA, you need to put a dry filter on it. All it takes to freak out the MAF is one speck of oil. Yes, it's that friggin sensative. The other thing I was told was to apply a small amount of sealant around all of the connections for the new system. This serves two purposes...one, it makes it a completely closed system, where nothing can get sucked in around the edge of the seals. Two, in sealing off any possible leaks, you now get better suction straight through the filter. I hope to have mine this week. Ordered it from Gravana about 10 days ago.

#5 ·
I don't know what it will cross over to as far as filter numbers go. Just get some filter cleaner and spray the heck out of it. Spray if from the inside out first. It will remove almost all of the oil put into the filter by the factory. That will save you a buttload of money too....those filters are expensive as heck.

#6 ·
Kevinedwards05 said:
I don't know what it will cross over to as far as filter numbers go. Just get some filter cleaner and spray the heck out of it. Spray if from the inside out first. It will remove almost all of the oil put into the filter by the factory. That will save you a buttload of money too....those filters are expensive as heck.

The oil is what stops the dirt from coming into your intake. If you take all the oil off without putting more on, you will get dust and dirt in your engine. No?

#7 ·
You may pick up dust....true. Actual Dirt....I doubt it. The filters are pretty good. I ran a K&N on my Cart at the local dirt track. If I didn't oil the filter I usually picked up a fine dust, but keep in mind that's a lot of dust flying through the air. That dust will actually glaze the inside of the cylinder...not good. However, the oil stopped it dead in it's tracks. Now, on my Ion, I am actually going to try and clean mine, and only apply a fine mist of the oil on the outer side of the filter. Coming from the factory, it is oil impregnated....Huge difference.

#9 ·
it only took me about 45 min. with a friend. and a six pack.

#11 ·
don't forget the six pack. lol

#13 ·
Ok I'll drink you wrench.

#14 ·
what type and where do u get the oil for the filters??

#15 ·
Nukem said:
what type and where do u get the oil for the filters??
K&N sells a kit, generally anywhere the filter is sold...

#16 ·
Just found out that Gravana didn't have mine in stock...Being shipped direct from the factory on the 9th.......Geez.....and I thought the Army was slooow. More waiting.

#20 ·
pretty interesing topic... I was about to buy a K&N filter and now I fear...

Those who have probleme have broken part of just error code ?

I think I'll wait a bit until the break in is finish so I won't broke the motor if something wrong happen!

Also, have you ever think of HKS mushroom filter?

Build for turbo/supercharged engine!

Not HKS, just for image :

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.