Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a bunch of tiny scratches in my car. There are alot on the piece right between the driver side window and the roof and some on the top of the trunk and spoiler. They are not noticeable unless you are right up on the car but you can see them and it bugs the shit out of me.

Any way to get rid of them, cover them or something?

Will a good wax job help it out at all?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, after I washed mine I noticed I had alot, but atleast they aren't very visible...also I had a bunch of little scratches (like the scratches on the trunk from the poorly designed trunk lid) on top of one of the rocker panels. Strange place for scratches if you ask me. :confused:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
redline14 said:
Yeah, after I washed mine I noticed I had alot, but atleast they aren't very visible...also I had a bunch of little scratches (like the scratches on the trunk from the poorly designed trunk lid) on top of one of the rocker panels. Strange place for scratches if you ask me. :confused:

The rocker panel is the piece right above the door that goes from the windshield to the rear panel by the trunk, right?

If so, that's where I have the most of them and you are right, that is a strange place for scratches and I still wonder how they got there. :confused:

·
Registered
532 Posts
JPK said:
The rocker panel is the piece right above the door that goes from the windshield to the rear panel by the trunk, right?

If so, that's where I have the most of them and you are right, that is a strange place for scratches and I still wonder how they got there. :confused:
No, I believe it is the "cool" looking thing at the bottom of the car that sticks out on the side. They are called side-rocker ground effects. It is below the door, and goes from wheelwell to wheelwell.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
redline14 said:
No, I believe it is the "cool" looking thing at the bottom of the car that sticks out on the side. They are called side-rocker ground effects. It is below the door, and goes from wheelwell to wheelwell.

Those are fine on my car. It's that area I described above that has all the "mystery" scratches on it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
how are you washing your cars? If you use the manual washer that takes quarters w/the wand, stay away from the brush. That thing will put spider-web scratches on your car. Best to use a clean soft cotton mitt. Also if you hand-dry the car afterwards you have to be careful what you use to dry it. I used to use Cotton Diapers (clean n washed of course) on a black truck I had. Good wax job as BlackRedline04 said would help too

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If you're in an area with a lot of sand and gravel, check and see if the scratches are following the 'airflow' around your car. You could just be driving though enough sand or dust or salt to be picking up scratches as you drive. I'm always worried about that during the winter months, those salt trucks really cover the road.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well I love black, and this is not my first black car. They are simply a pain in the ass to take care of. Dirt, even light dust in general will leave stupid small scratches. That is why you never want to lean on your car. Simple fixes are good waxes. Watch how you wash it too, use diaper soft towels to dry it and what not...

Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's a couple of things the road grit and grim that fallows the air around your car, and the way you wash it. Stay away from the brush like someone already said and car washes that are not touchless. The spinning cloth act like a buffer with no compound on it. with no uniformidy. You can get rid of them by buying a buffer with a foam pad and buffing compound not wax.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the swirls in the paint you see are small micro scraches in the clear. while waxing is like the band-aid for the problem. it covers the scraches up untill the car gets washed or in about a week when the wax wears away you see the swirls again. the only way to truly fix the swirls is to buff them out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts