Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To wing or not to wing that is the question..

I'm kinda interested in the huge shopping cart wing that Saturn offers for our Redlines. Does it make any difference with downforce? I have the small spoiler lip like spoiler right now on mine. I want the wing because I want to attract more attention and have people pick on me but I want it to have some functionality with it. So the question stands, to wing or not to wing?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
until you're going 140+, functionality is not part of the equation with this wing, even then, i doubt it really is. i've read on it shuddering at speed. basically, it's just for looks

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
i am unsure if I want to add it or not. Its just for looks but I dont like wings. But I like the fact it makes the redline easier to spot. What to do. . .

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i have the same thought i have the small spoiler thing going but i dont know if i want the big wing

i dont like the import look so i dont know

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Eh.........

Personally, I like the trunk lid spoiler that mine has on it. I don't really care for really high wings. I like to look in my rearview and see more than just my cars spoiler.

·
Registered
87 Posts
JPK said:
I like to look in my rearview and see more than just my cars spoiler.
That is a good call. I have the the rear wing. I do like it, mostly for the looks. It's annoying when you are trying to reverse or check out a hot chick behind you in traffic. I like trunk lid spoilers. I'm looking at buying a drag wing for my car, so I may sell the rear wing.

It's not functional & doesn't compare to my friend's corrodo's wing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wing

I purchased a Redline Ion a week ago and I just had to have a wing the one I purchased had a regular spoiler . So after waiting a week for someguy who works only on Thursday to install the unit I get it home only to have my kids tell me that they scracthed the paint to hell when they removed the double sided tape that is under the original spoiler and got buffing compound all over the decklid . That is only half the story after driving the car home I realized this thing although it looks cool is dangerous if you have to change lanes you have to double and triple take just to make sure you are clear to the right . Lastly this thing rattles and shakes not to mention makes the trunklid slam due to the weight . Needless to say I am not a happy guy . Thats the Bottomline ...

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's the one I want too. I like the low profile look of it. If I remeber correctly you had that installed at the dealer as a perk didn't you?

·
Registered
810 Posts
if you have a silver one and would like to get rid of yours. ill even give you mine (the small one). it has to be silver. also i found some on ebay for like 350 already painted.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I made sure the RL I was buying didn't have one. they don't really function untill you are going about 150mph, and I really don't like the look of them. The little spoiler makes it more of a sleeper too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
myredline said:
I love my drifter's type wing. I'm not a huge fan of the large wings. Although I do have one on my MR2, but it came that way.

Feel free to take a look.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/713629
That's the one I want.

The wing cuts right in the middle of your field of vision, it's really annoying.

There were two Redlines left at the dealership. One with no spoiler, and one with a wing. I took the one with no spoiler. All I have to do is give them a call when I want to get the spoiler, and they'll sell it to me painted, at cost.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the ion 3 wing you can get from the dealer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cole said:
That's the one I want too. I like the low profile look of it. If I remeber correctly you had that installed at the dealer as a perk didn't you?
Yes I had it installed by the dealer along with the body kit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I thought that having non-functional components on your car = RICER! At least that was my impression when people ripped on Hondas and such for having spoilers or whatever.
I've got the stock wing on mine now but would be much happier without it...as soon as I can find some one to remove it and not destroy the trunk in the process its gone.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i have the high wing and imho i love it.

i mean, if it comes factory thats not really rice is it?

who is gonna go out and call an sti or evo 8 wing ricey? some people, i guess...

i love the wing and yes it does obstruct rear view vision, but it also blocks out headlights.

i think it complements the car nicely, the only thing nicer than the wing, i think is the front end......i love that front end.

but anyway, thats my .02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts