Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend J has a 98 Grand Prix with the 3.8 liter v6 (non supercharged) and he's been talking about racing the Red Line. He knew that he was in for some trouble ahead of time as he has ridden with me a couple of times and knows that the Red Line is quick. But he is a good guy and wanted to see how quick the Red Line is in direct comparison to his GP so I gave him two chances.

First we went from a stop light. My start in 1st was solid with a smidge of hop as I neared 6000 rpms. I took it to the end of 2nd and had his front bumper at my rear. At that point we both shut down for traffic.

He shouted to me that he wanted to try from a roll. I lead him to a good road to do that sort of racing on and told him to get to whatever speed he wanted and I would match him. Once I was there he was to honk three times. On the third we go. He got up to 40-45 mph and started honking. He got the jump on me off the third horn, but his advantage didn't last for long. I was in and out of 2nd gear in a flash. As I pushed the Red Line through 3rd, J began to fall behind. He was well behind me as I got into 4th. I shut it down as he pulled in behind me.

So I beat a 7 year old car with 150,000 miles on it. Yay me.

After the "races" we met my wife and his girlfriend for diner. J is looking to get a new car and is trying to decide what to get. As we talked it was clear that he likes the Red Line a lot, but he is leaning towards a mid size car. J is a big guy and the Red Line is a little too small for his tastes. If he had the money, I know he would get the new GTO. But in the end he is leaning towards the Pontiac G6 or Chevy Monte Carlo.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The G6 Coupe that is coming out if freaking tiz-ight! I almost bought it instead of the Cobalt/Redline. Didn't want to wait though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sp00ner said:
The G6 Coupe that is coming out if freaking tiz-ight! I almost bought it instead of the Cobalt/Redline. Didn't want to wait though.
That's what J is waiting for. He wants the 3.9L, 240 hp engine with the six speed tranny. I hope he waits, cause that is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tell him if he wants the 05 GTO to wait a little since he will probably could end up getting one for invoice minus rebates like they were selling the 04 GTO and that will put right around the price for the 3.9 G6 since I think the base price in that one is $28,000 with some change so your budy could end up buying a 400hp goat for the price of a G6. a heck of a deal if you ask me. Or he could get probably and even lower priced GTO if he gets a low miles used 05.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yianco465 said:
Tell him if he wants the 05 GTO to wait a little since he will probably could end up getting one for invoice minus rebates like they were selling the 04 GTO and that will put right around the price for the 3.9 G6 since I think the base price in that one is $28,000 with some change so your budy could end up buying a 400hp goat for the price of a G6. a heck of a deal if you ask me. Or he could get probably and even lower priced GTO if he gets a low miles used 05.
Thats a good point. We didn't talk too much about the GTO since it's over $30K. But if sales don't pick up on it then they will be giving the 05 away like they did the 04 at the end of the model year. I will pass along the info.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
GTO COUPE
ENGINE,6.0L V8 SFI
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
MIDNIGHT BLUE METALLIC
TRIM COMBINATION LEATHER
STANDARD GMS VEHICLE PRICE $ 28,979.03
Exterior: Midnight Blue Metallic
Interior: Black Leather
***********Of course this is an Auto, who wants an Auto on this type of car?***********

Total MSRP:* $34,185.00

MSRP: $34,295.00
Color & Options: $-110.00
Total MSRP:* $34,185.00
GMS Price: $30,702.43
************************Six Speed manual fully loaded********************

Now if you can just find a GM employee who's willing to adopt you...........

·
Registered
28 Posts
yianco465 said:

The G6 starts out at around 19 I want to say. Used 05's are going for 28ish right now. Although you won't find too many of those... still too early. 04 or 05 it really depends on what your buddy would want to do with it. Mod wise, if he wants to dump the money he saves by picking up a 04 in mods I'd say that is the way to go. If you want to leave it stock... pick up a 05. There is just a huge aftermarket for the Ls1 engine compared to the Ls2. For now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.