Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm headed down the interstate on the way home, and I slowly passed 3 kids in an SRT-4. I looked over, gave them a little nod and smile, and all I got back was the snotty sneer. The kid mashes the gas, of course there was a car 30ft in front of him, so he slowed back down and I continued on by. As traffic was thinning out near the end of the interstate, I see him coming hard. It dosen't take a genius to know that if I mash the gas and take off into the clear lanes, he gonna blow past me since he's already going 30mph faster than me. So I make him run right up on my ass, now I've been planning this meeting for a while now. I held the car at 70mph, just right for the 5th-3rd downshift and max boost. The instant he lets up to stop from hitting me, BAM, it's on! Strategy can pay dividends! His, now unspooled turbo, and my always ready supercharger. I know that he had 2 other people, but I pulled away from him steady, and faster than I thought. Maybe it was an older one? He got killed bad, true it wasn't a line up and race, but after about a car length or so some traffic came up, and that's where his real problem came. This thing looked like a roller skate in my rearview, I could see the car rolling all over the place while he was trying to cut through traffic, and then locked his brakes up HARD, enough for me to see smoke from 3-4 car lengths, before skidding into the emergency lane to avoid traffic. Maybe he was a real bad driver, but he only needed one shift and some turning, maybe that's too hard for some people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Good kill, even though he had 2 other people in the car. They are quick cars but not as quick as everyone says they are. In my own personal experience. I was on the way back from knoxsville TN and i had this lowerd blue srt-4 with an overly done blow off valve haul but to get behind me, i quess he thought he could pick on a stock lookin eclipse. He was wrong. :cool:
Oh yea, i met up with one of the fellow ion guys in here, SaturnIONredline, (rick) cool guy. I like the redline, very well built car. Just wish i could of paired the cars off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
So from what I understand you can hang with a slightly modded Evo VIII....
Cuz from what it sounds like you pulled 4 car lengths on a stock SRT4, which means you should be able to hang with a slightly modded EVO VIII....
Because I crushed an Evo VIII running 22 psi with just stage one.....
Please clear some things up for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Man, it all depends on the drivers when it comes to kills. Some people might not know how to drive their car to their full potential when they have the better car, so we're given the opportunity for us to kill them would arise and which is why we're posting on here. The numbers on the engines and everything says that your SRTs and Evo VIIIs definetely say that we'd be losing every race. But it all comes down to each driver in both cars. So it IS possible for us to beat the faster cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
I beat a stock SRT4 in a 04 civic SI (mugen air box, exhaust, header, throtle body, ECU, and mugen radiator). The neon got no launch after missing the green light and second gear. He was also granny shifting at low RPMs (i think it was around 4500). Not a win to be proud of but it proves the fact that a slower car with a good driver and beat a fast car with a shitty driver.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueSRT said:
So from what I understand you can hang with a slightly modded Evo VIII....
Cuz from what it sounds like you pulled 4 car lengths on a stock SRT4, which means you should be able to hang with a slightly modded EVO VIII....
Because I crushed an Evo VIII running 22 psi with just stage one.....
Please clear some things up for me.
Yea, no problem. If the guy driving the Evo is as dumb as the kid in the SRT, and as long as the Evo handles like a grocery cart, no problem. You never 'crushed' an Evo with stage one anything. You're a liar. Maybe you should race cars that aren't parked in parking lots.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rip_vw32 said:
Hooo Raaahhhh Spooner!!!
These motherfuckers, I'm used to arguing with the smart people on here, these guys better bring it hard. Else, we'll keep making them look like total idiots. Not that they aren't doing it already, but I do enjoy venting sometimes. Most of the people on the forum have some smarts to 'em, hard to belittle 'em here. After going back and forth with people like Goofy and Blu these guys are like shooting ducks in a bathtub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Like shooting monkeys in a barrel, huh spooner?

Well just remember, when mommy and daddy decided to buy junior a new car, junior wanted a neon. So that is what junior got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
dipolley said:
Like shooting monkeys in a barrel, huh spooner?

Well just remember, when mommy and daddy decided to buy junior a new car, junior wanted a neon. So that is what junior got.
I don't know if that was totally called for, we need to be making friends with our fellow American "muscle" ;)

Trust me I have alot of experience with EVO's, STI's and SRT-4's (stage 0 - Stage 2+)

In an even head to head, with the same skilled drivers ......

a stock SRT-4 will beat a RL

a stock SRT-4 will not beat an EVO or STI

a stage 1 SRT-4 can catch up to a stock EVO or STI after launch, a rolling race is pretty even, and could go either way.

The fastest 1/4 mile time w/0ut a time slip (I don't like it when people post times w/out time slips) on the list is a 14.2, but the fastest with a slip is 14.9 .... lets say the redline runs an average of 14.3 - 14.4 in the 1/4, the SRT runs an average of 14.0 - 14.1. My friend even pulled a 13.9 in his totaly stock. Now he runs mid 12's and I don't have a prayer to keep up, I've tryed ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
BlueSRT said:
So from what I understand you can hang with a slightly modded Evo VIII....
Cuz from what it sounds like you pulled 4 car lengths on a stock SRT4, which means you should be able to hang with a slightly modded EVO VIII....
Because I crushed an Evo VIII running 22 psi with just stage one.....
Please clear some things up for me.
Its a shame i didn't know that someone else from this forums lived in Knox. i would have loved to do a comparison. Not doggin on the srt but from what ive seen the best i seen with a stock srt(k&n) run was a [email protected] he didn't have lsd so maybe he had traction problems like the rest of us, my friend with his evo with an injen intake ran 8.80'[email protected], he was knockin on my talegate all nite long. I have yet to see a quick srt-4, granted i haven't seen hardly any srt's around this area. You must be dousing the thing with gas to be running 22psi. I stuggle with 17psi with the gst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
I had a SRT and did every mod up to Stage one, with a greddy prefec II ebc, WGA, UPP, Short ram, and on and on and on. And I was happy as a pig in shit when I saw 19 lbs. Granted i did spike to about 34 when i was dialing it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
BOOSTED said:
Not doggin on the srt but from what ive seen the best i seen with a stock srt(k&n) run was a [email protected] he didn't have lsd so maybe he had traction problems like the rest of us, my friend with his evo with an injen intake ran 8.80'[email protected], he was knockin on my talegate all nite long. I have yet to see a quick srt-4, granted i haven't seen hardly any srt's around this area. You must be dousing the thing with gas to be running 22psi. I stuggle with 17psi with the gst.
Hey guys, I'm Sinister Redlines Bud ..... it's my SRT you see in his sig.

I thought it was about time to sign in and add to the discusion ;)

just alittle back ground: I was one of the very first SRT owners. I've had my car now for over 2 years. I've been tuning on this car since way before there was any upgrades to add easy HP to the car, not too much unlike the RL owners are dealing with right now .... I feel for you.


BOOSTED .... I aggree, this guy is running 22PSI on Stage1 he won't be too much longer, it isn't too safe to run over 17-18psi on Stage one, it leans out way too much after that ;) I am running Stage 2 and am hitting between 17-20 psi, be it I have alot more stuff on my car to make more power at that boost level, but the stock turbo is only efficient till 20 psi, after that it starts to hurt you instead of help ;)

When I ran my 13.981 @ 98.85 when the car was stock, my 1/8 mile time was 9.089 @ 80.63 mph. My 60 ft time was 2.156 ( about the best I could get with stock tires) That shows us how much quicker an AWD car is off the line, but it also shows the SRT is making up ground since it is going about the same speed at the 1/8.

I never ran a STI or EVO while I was stock because they weren't out yet, but I did run STI's with Stage one and pulled mid 13's just like them, it all depended if we got a good launch or misseed any shifts. I use this illistration of the STI because I thinkl the EVO and STI are pretty evenly matched at stock level.

So did this kid crush an EVO w/just stage 1, no way ... I can't even crush an Evo with my car, but I can walk away pretty nicely most of the time. But there is always going to be a faster car than yours out there.


Sp00ner said:
So I make him run right up on my ass, now I've been planning this meeting for a while now. I held the car at 70mph, just right for the 5th-3rd downshift and max boost. The instant he lets up to stop from hitting me, BAM, it's on! Strategy can pay dividends! His, now unspooled turbo, and my always ready supercharger. I know that he had 2 other people, but I pulled away from him steady, and faster than I thought. Maybe it was an older one? He got killed bad, true it wasn't a line up and race, but after about a car length or so some traffic came up, and that's where his real problem came. This thing looked like a roller skate in my rearview, I could see the car rolling all over the place while he was trying to cut through traffic, and then locked his brakes up HARD, enough for me to see smoke from 3-4 car lengths, before skidding into the emergency lane to avoid traffic. Maybe he was a real bad driver, but he only needed one shift and some turning, maybe that's too hard for some people.
Come on Dude I don't care what kind of car your driving, if you get in front of a Ferrari and make him slam on his breaks then take off you'll also gain a couple few car lenghts on him too .....

and then raceing while swerving between cars is plain STUPID that's how people get killed, and it's not just the racers.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is great. I love how someone outruns an SRT in traffic and all of a sudden here they come. You guys crack me up! Lemme guess, next you're gonna start in on the 'is it a neon or isn't it a neon fight'....
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just curious, do you pay people to hit up every forum imagineable to check for anyone that claims to have outrun an SRT? Is there a phone list for people to start the attack? I'm just curious since you guys seem to have organizational skills that would make the U.S. military jealous...
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and one last thing all you guys, thanks! We seemed to be bickering like idiots on here between ourselves, me in particular. Thanks for bringing us back together as a pseudo team and giving us a reminder oh why we're on a forum together. Don't worry you'll see plenty of us out there, the Cobalts and the Ions are gonna be much faster, real soon. So just bring it, or shutup.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NIVO88T said:
we could beat a redline badly, but then again......:)
Hope one of you guys goes all out with your red Line.
Yea, but you're not an ass-monkey, so that's fine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yea, but you're not an ass-monkey, so that's fine!
damn it, i was wishing i could be an ass monkey!."i've been ripped" :eek:

I like the ecotec 2.0 but would have been better if they turbocharged the 2.4L hahahahah.

that way I could keep up with the misses SRT-4 :)
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys and your turbos!
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top