Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets begin. After being under my hood for 4 hours and refunding 6 of you I decided on a few choices.

1. make Rev 1. much safer by adding a support to block the system if it comes lose. Although such and incident can be avoided but simple use of Locktite which will be on every order that is included for Rev1 style setup. And with Rev 1 you will be required to drill one hole behind the headlight. Its simple 5 people have done it with no complaints at all. Rev 1 must use caution to doulble check all the bolts nuts and parts to make sure there is no way for it to come loose.

2. make rev 2 more specific. Rev 2 aparently take a little more know how under the car than I expected. With the variations you guys are telling me the revision needs some background before it will work. Rev 2 in my opinion is better in the long run mostly if its not installed 100% there is no way in can harm anything. Although it was goodin desing Saturn decided to keep that from happening.

3. Quit. I could but for some reason Im dirven to continue.

As for all the other models of cars like the other Ions (sedan, QC) non redlines there will be a simple verification to how you buy becuase you can have 1 of 5 differnt motor mounts according to the saturn dealership. The SL/SC series all use one bracket and I will make those as they are needed. If you have one and need a setup for those cars. I can only make them in REV 2 style so I hope your ability to drill a hole is up to PAR.

I have a few pending orders on payment. They know who they are. If you 4 would Emial me asap so I can figure out which bracketry you want and what to ship out I would like to know. Or even know if and when you will Pay.

On the front of making them simple to install. Everyone I have installed took no longer than 20mins and using all hand tools. Except the drill for the holes. If anyone has any questions ask them here. All other questions or comments go to the other Flaming thread.

As well all who have installed thiers either A/B setup post all your reslults and trials here. What would have made it easier to install. How has it worked for you. And what is the biggest problem you see with the setups.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
so goofy am i getting the brackets for the new mounting?

goofy you are not allowed to quit, because i need more stuff, like a 3 gauge pod.

·
Registered
425 Posts
dont quit

hey goofyguy,
As with all production lines there is a learning curve, as you have found out! I had to wait for my brace to arrive for a week or two due to it having to clear through Canadian customs at the border (and had to pay duty) By the time it got here you had released version 2. It took one PM to you to get you to send me the updated brackets, and you had no problem with that. I have the utmost respect for the way you do your business and highly recommend your product and service. Please do not quit. There are very few people/companies that are doing and R&D on any products for the RL. You have taken the initiative and produced something that will help alot of people out. That wheel hop is a pain in the ass, it is nice to see it gone.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i haven't installed, and don't see a problem as it's as simple as could be, but i'll be doing it this weekend.

one thing that may help those less inclined to start drilling holes in their car, would be a template for the holes to be aligned with the abs clip hole, and some line in the car, to make it more assuring for those that are worried about doing it wrong. just a thought

·
Registered
27 Posts
just installed mine as rev. b , i had a hard time with getting the upper hole drilled ( i didnt take the tire off, but did jack up that corner) due to the spring. what worked for me was to make the 1st hole, positioned as instructed, then put the bolt thru & drill the upper hole from the inside. there was just enough room to get the drill in to make a straight hole(careful of the wires on the other side).

and i think 1 more step should be added before "do burnouts" and that would be to turn your ac controls to 'recirculate' or your cabin fills with tire smoke.

other than this, it was easy to install and does exactly what its supposed to do very well. i did notice that the whine of the supercharger does seem to be transmitted to the cabin just a little more, but this is a good thing IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so far a few have done. It jacked up the car with the tire on and had some trouble with the upper hole. But total time?

·
Registered
289 Posts
wolfie said:
hey goofyguy,
As with all production lines there is a learning curve, as you have found out! I had to wait for my brace to arrive for a week or two due to it having to clear through Canadian customs at the border (and had to pay duty) By the time it got here you had released version 2. It took one PM to you to get you to send me the updated brackets, and you had no problem with that. I have the utmost respect for the way you do your business and highly recommend your product and service. Please do not quit. There are very few people/companies that are doing and R&D on any products for the RL. You have taken the initiative and produced something that will help alot of people out. That wheel hop is a pain in the ass, it is nice to see it gone.
Agreed. Don't quit! I have been eye-balling this for some time. I can say that with any new application there are going to be issues, but hang in there. I really appreciate the work you are doing for the RL. Take care!

·
Registered
27 Posts
goofyguy said:
Ok so far a few have done. It jacked up the car with the tire on and had some trouble with the upper hole. But total time?
about 30 minutes...but i also hit the L-bracket with primer & black enamel for appearance ;)

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice. Give those ends a little twist to even them out. Other than that use the bracket as a guide why in the hell didnt I think of that.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Goofy,
I have the utmost confidence that you would have come up with the drilling the hole thing eventually. When I get mine I garauntee you won't be hearing from me except to praise you. Mostly because Max Boost lives 5 minutes away and I already looked at his this morning. I don't undestand why people are haveing so much difficulty. This is not hard at all.

BTW is "bracketry" a real word?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
dipolley said:
Goofy,
I have the utmost confidence that you would have come up with the drilling the hole thing eventually. When I get mine I garauntee you won't be hearing from me except to praise you. Mostly because Max Boost lives 5 minutes away and I already looked at his this morning. I don't undestand why people are haveing so much difficulty. This is not hard at all.

BTW is "bracketry" a real word?
It's derived from the french word "braketracion", meaning, "to brak". Same thing though.

There's also a latin version, "brashion". Different meaning though, can't remember.

Goofy took some french in high school.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neat. I'd like to see this. You can help me install yours. Nice.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ill be there in a few hours. Im going to take the BUSA. Ill beat the brace. Hell they wont get there till next week.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
yrethguad said:
It's derived from the french word "braketracion", meaning, "to brak". Same thing though.

There's also a latin version, "brashion". Different meaning though, can't remember.

Goofy took some french in high school.
Pulled that one out if your ass did ya? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps he did. The word is real though. as for what yrethguad said. Got me beat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I haven't installed mine, seeing as how my car hasn't even been built yet. But when the time comes i know i will be able to pm or call goofyguy and get any info i need to "get 'er done". Goofy it would be a damn shame to see you give up just because a few ppl didn't have the patience or mechanical inclination needed to get the brace on. I don't know how hard it is to run a business, but i do hope to know the feeling someday soon. I can only hope my customer service and support can be as good as yours.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
dipolley said:
Pulled that one out if your ass did ya? LOL
Not really.

I looked up that latin version, "brashion", it means "to form inequivacly", or "out of emotion". Sort of like making up a story based on something emotional. I guess sort of like a "quick fix" for now, like I can't get this to work so I'll make a bracket for it so it will for now. Obviously it carried over into permanent solutions over time. I guess they got lazy and didn't come up with a new term, heheh.

But, yeah, I pulled it out of my ass. My assyclopedia yrethanica.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well I just put mine in. I have to admit the spring being in the way kinda baffled me at first however, I did my drilling from under the hood and it was no big deal. I have not tested it out yet. Results to follow after "Spirited" drive.

Also, I think I have the first custom black model. Thanks again Goofy.

By the way Goofy, does everything look ok with my install ??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.