Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
NOOOOOOOOO, that would be a sin, and it'll likely not work out because of the rear bumper cover

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Smurf said:
anyone know if they make one to fit the Red Line?
I'm sure they don't as of yet, but I would assume that if you look for some that are meant for the regular Ion or Cobalt, there might be some way to mod it up a bit. If the rear bumper is too low though, like Vita said, it might be REAL hard though.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Ummmmm, why????? For the love of God, why?????
I was thinking of getting either a dirt bike or a wave-runner this summer and was actually wondering what the possiblity of it was as well. I'd hate to tow things with a sport compact, but I'd hate to buy a truck even more. I wouldn't feel too bad about towing 3-500 pounds with it, just nothing more.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I'm sure they don't as of yet, but I would assume that if you look for some that are meant for the regular Ion or Cobalt, there might be some way to mod it up a bit. If the rear bumper is too low though, like Vita said, it might be REAL hard though.
yeah, if they make them for the ion, it'll fit, you just need to cut up your bumper, or get a different one.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Vita said:
yeah, if they make them for the ion, it'll fit, you just need to cut up your bumper, or get a different one.
Yea, I don't have alot of faith that it would work right. You could get fancy and build a bracket that would lower the hitch a bit, but then the trailer might be slanted forward as you drive or something, that's not good! I would assume that if you look around for a while, one will show up. I see alot of people around here towing small boats, wave-runners, dirtbikes and ATV's on cars sure don't look like they should be towing anything. I even saw a Vette or a GTO or something last week pulling a pretty decent sized boat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
C'mon guys, you hafta have friends with trucks, or older, heavier cars. You really do not want to do this. Look at your GVW (gross vehicle weight) then at GAWR (Gross Axle weight rating) the difference between the two is what the car can tow/hold. Don't forget about you, the gas in the tank and passengers. Go over this limit and bad stuff might happen.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
you can always contact a u-haul place they will be able to tell you if they make one or not... that would be the first place i would look, they do install them on alot of different cars...

Xau

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
C'mon guys, you hafta have friends with trucks, or older, heavier cars. You really do not want to do this. Look at your GVW (gross vehicle weight) then at GAWR (Gross Axle weight rating) the difference between the two is what the car can tow/hold. Don't forget about you, the gas in the tank and passengers. Go over this limit and bad stuff might happen.....
You're totally right, but I'm thinking that a trailer and a dirt bike can't possibly be that heavy! We had a buddy that towed 2 jet skis around in his 90 something Civic. I would prefer to never do it, like I said, I was thinking about getting one this summer and wouldn't want to depend on someone else to tow it. My only other choices are to use my Corvette or the Camaro. Neither of those are good choices either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most 6 cylinders run a GVW for trailers at 3000-3500 lbs and a max tongue wt of 300 to 350 lbs. Most four cylinders aren't tow rated (at least not cars) and if they are they are usually rated for about 500 to 1000 lbs max. I wouldn't want to pull 3500 lbs with a 4cyl.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
weasel_j66 said:
Most 6 cylinders run a GVW for trailers at 3000-3500 lbs and a max tongue wt of 300 to 350 lbs. Most four cylinders aren't tow rated (at least not cars) and if they are they are usually rated for about 500 to 1000 lbs max. I wouldn't want to pull 3500 lbs with a 4cyl.
I'd like to tow it with a Chevy Avalance with 450hp and a 10" lift sitting on 36" Super Swampers... I'd just like to know what's actually possible, something tells me I can get away with a dirt bike and a trailer big enough to two it. I wouldn't be that suprised if I was completely wrong though, trust me, I don't think it's going to be towing any Bayliners to Florida or anything...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I'd like to tow it with a Chevy Avalance with 450hp and a 10" lift sitting on 36" Super Swampers...
Make it 40 inch super swampers and it sound good to me!!!! One of my other vehicles is a GMC Longbed that can sit on 38's. Anyway, on a real note, it would depend on if it will affect the supercharger. I know for turbos they strongly encourage you NOT to tow anything. The RLs have the balls to do it, but at what expense to the s/c? Maybe John might know about that.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
weasel_j66 said:
Make it 40 inch super swampers and it sound good to me!!!! One of my other vehicles is a GMC Longbed that can sit on 38's. Anyway, on a real note, it would depend on if it will affect the supercharger. I know for turbos they strongly encourage you NOT to tow anything. The RLs have the balls to do it, but at what expense to the s/c? Maybe John might know about that.
No doubt, I used to have to dodge 36" and 40" equipped trucks in my Camaro reguarly, when I still lived in Florida...

If it can't tow, I have a buddy that will load it into his van and ride along with no questions asked. He a psycho though, I'd hate to let him on my new 250cc Kawi, might be the last time I see him or the bike!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sp00ner said:
He a psycho though, I'd hate to let him on my new 250cc Kawi, might be the last time I see him or the bike!
I get your point (lol). I would seriously look into the possibility of s/c problems from towing.

Like an idiot, I just happened to have the owners manual here...it states: Max tow load 1000lbs, do not tow under 1000 miles on the odometer, first 500 miles towing stay below 50 mph, after that max speed 55 mph, don't tow if over 100 degree temps, tongue wt should be between a max of 10 to 12% of trailer load weight which equates to a max of 100 to 120 lbs tongue wt. then the book goes into the standard "I've never pulled a trailer before" instructional period. Keep in mind, the manual makes no mention of the s/c and therefore I believe the manual is referring to non-forced induction Ions as the s/c isn't even mentioned in the appendix in the back of the manual.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Jet Ski thats just been sitting up since last summer....I'm trying to sell it but I need to take it to the shop to be serviced and all....also I'm moving at the end of the summer and I dont have enough stuff to rent a whole truck.....none of my friends around here have trucks or anything with a towing hitch

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
JPK said:
You know, you can rent a regular pick up truck at places like U-Haul or Home Depot.
Yea, that's what I wanna do, load up the crew and head to home depot at 9am with a bunch of loud, easily distracted friends. I'd end up leaving by 2 in the afternoon with $3,000 in tools. We'd realized later that we forgot the truck....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
get a truck.......................

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about trading my Red Line in for a Vue but its just wayy too hard......maybe once I get moved I will be able to afford a second vehicle and buy me a truck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts