Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the results tonight were fairly dissapointing. I could only muster a 14.9 even after the new pulley and the W/A injection. At this point many of you may be scratching your heads confused. Tonight was 94 degrees and just shy of 90% humidity. Within 5 minutes of being outside my air conditioned car my shirt was soaked with sweat and my hair was matted. This was from just standing around. The Density altitude tonight was 3800 which last time it was 800. My buddy came out with his 03 gt that traps 99-100 mph almost like clockwork and he was only trapping 92-93. Unfortunately all I can do is try and fathom a guess at what the car will do when presented with better conditions again. If there really was 7-8 mph to be picked up then my car would be trapping 99-100 as well. I did a couple runs after a while with the alky kit turned off. It was an immediate drop in performance. I ran a 15.6 followed by a 15.7. I turned it back on and was running high 14's low 15's again. Me and the Stang did race, I got him off the jump and had him until I missed 3rd gear for just a second. He pulled a car length ahead and held it until the end. He beat me by .1. So sorry to any who hoped for better times, none of you could be more dissapointed than me. :(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW forgot to mention this in my original post, my boost was down to struggling to even get 12. With such hot weather I guess the air wasn't akin to making as much boost?????

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
First off, let me say, I'm bummed I couldn't make it, I would've made the 110-mile trek if it hadn't been for my ******* boss, who blocked me from getting the night off. He used the excuse, "X-person can't work 6 days" . . . strangely, I was on the schedule for 7 . . . explain that.

However, I'm kind of glad I wasn't there, because HEARING about the disappointment is a lot easier than being there to witness it. Let's get some runs in sometime closer to fall, like September, where it won't be 105 degrees & 100% humidity; then we'll get some better times. I can also SCHEDULE the time off work instead of begging, borrowing, and pleading.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
First off, let me say, I'm bummed I couldn't make it, I would've made the 110-mile trek if it hadn't been for my ******* boss, who blocked me from getting the night off. He used the excuse, "X-person can't work 6 days" . . . strangely, I was on the schedule for 7 . . . explain that.

However, I'm kind of glad I wasn't there, because HEARING about the disappointment is a lot easier than being there to witness it. Let's get some runs in sometime closer to fall, like September, where it won't be 105 degrees & 100% humidity; then we'll get some better times. I can also SCHEDULE the time off work instead of begging, borrowing, and pleading.
well lets make a day of it then :) BTW it looks like I am going there on July 16th with some friends who apparently rented the track.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
July 16 is perfect; I requested the weekend off because the sort-of girlfriend's grad party is the next day, so the time off for THAT is already done, and my Saturday is free. Let's do it! Thumbs up!

Let's get a thread going in the near future for all the MI guys, I know it's a slightly longer trip for the metro Detroit & ann arbor guys, but only by 25-30 miles. Maybe we can even convince Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio guys to come, and make a big show of the Redliners; who knows, some may even have Psi-Fi's kit by then, and hopefully yours will run better.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
July 16 is perfect; I requested the weekend off because the sort-of girlfriend's grad party is the next day, so the time off for THAT is already done, and my Saturday is free. Let's do it! Thumbs up!

Let's get a thread going in the near future for all the MI guys, I know it's a slightly longer trip for the metro Detroit & ann arbor guys, but only by 25-30 miles. Maybe we can even convince Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio guys to come, and make a big show of the Redliners; who knows, some may even have Psi-Fi's kit by then, and hopefully yours will run better.
cool, I have I might bring my Firebird with me to insure a better run next time. How would bringing my Bird insure a better run you ask? Because if I can't run better I will tow the fucker down the track with my bird :eek:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I hope it was some kind of fluke because I managed a 14.6 at Lapeer (in Mi.) last Saturday at about 3pm and it was damn near 100 degrees out, humid as all hell and I am bone stock including the air filter. I'm very excited about the H2O/alky kit but the track results have been less than impressive so far. :(

Were you at Milan?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Some days you just don't have great luck at the track; I'm sure a variety of conditions conspired to kill the 1/4 times, we could probably talk all day about it. Just hope for better next time. It would've helped if I'd been there, because at least we could've compared Clownhair's times to the stocker's times (granted, I've never been to the strip, so maybe it WOULDN'T be a good comparo).

Clownhair - you never mentioned if it was a bring-more-redlines event; if it is, I say we get the word out ASAP!

Dazed - if it is a bring-more-redlines event, are you down for the haul?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Some days you just don't have great luck at the track; I'm sure a variety of conditions conspired to kill the 1/4 times, we could probably talk all day about it. Just hope for better next time. It would've helped if I'd been there, because at least we could've compared Clownhair's times to the stocker's times (granted, I've never been to the strip, so maybe it WOULDN'T be a good comparo).

Clownhair - you never mentioned if it was a bring-more-redlines event; if it is, I say we get the word out ASAP!

Dazed - if it is a bring-more-redlines event, are you down for the haul?

I'd be down for it. Hopefully I can have my brace on by then.

I watched some kid in his RL (obviously his first time out) progress from a 16+ to a 14.8 after a few runs. You'd be surprised how easy it might be for you to pick up the 1/4. I've only been to the strip twice and managed a 14.5 on my first day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
clownhair said:
So the results tonight were fairly dissapointing. I could only muster a 14.9 even after the new pulley and the W/A injection. At this point many of you may be scratching your heads confused. Tonight was 94 degrees and just shy of 90% humidity. Within 5 minutes of being outside my air conditioned car my shirt was soaked with sweat and my hair was matted. This was from just standing around. The Density altitude tonight was 3800 which last time it was 800. My buddy came out with his 03 gt that traps 99-100 mph almost like clockwork and he was only trapping 92-93. Unfortunately all I can do is try and fathom a guess at what the car will do when presented with better conditions again. If there really was 7-8 mph to be picked up then my car would be trapping 99-100 as well. I did a couple runs after a while with the alky kit turned off. It was an immediate drop in performance. I ran a 15.6 followed by a 15.7. I turned it back on and was running high 14's low 15's again. Me and the Stang did race, I got him off the jump and had him until I missed 3rd gear for just a second. He pulled a car length ahead and held it until the end. He beat me by .1. So sorry to any who hoped for better times, none of you could be more dissapointed than me. :(

Heat can be a killer at the track, but notice the time drop from alky and without. to drop from 15.6 or 15.7 to 14's without nitrous is a pretty good change in anyones book.

Density altidude plays a pretty big role in your times as well. 800 vs 3800 can mean as much as a second off your times, You will loose 3% HP per 1000 ft. So if your car dynos at say 215 WHP @ 800 feet and the air is the equivalant of 3800 feet you have lost 12% of your horsepower or over 25 horse power.

That's why your times were were slower. But like I said a the only mod that can drop .7 off your times would be a small shot of nitrous. If you would have had the same 800 as before you could have touched 13's. or very at least 14.00's. What were you 60ft times by the way?

Play with this horse power calculator and get a good estimate of the horse power with the system off vs on using your times. Post them if you don't mind.
http://www.corral.net/tech/horsepower.html

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
jpapa said:
Where is this track?
It's called Stanton; it's a bit of a hike from us over here by D-town; it's north of Grand Rapids. Here's the map-quest from my house to the town where the track is . . .

It says 110 miles from Hartland, so tack on another 25-40 for those of you closer to Detroit.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
dvldoc said:
Heat can be a killer at the track, but notice the time drop from alky and without. to drop from 15.6 or 15.7 to 14's without nitrous is a pretty good change in anyones book.

Density altidude plays a pretty big role in your times as well. 800 vs 3800 can mean as much as a second off your times, You will loose 3% HP per 1000 ft. So if your car dynos at say 215 WHP @ 800 feet and the air is the equivalant of 3800 feet you have lost 12% of your horsepower or over 25 horse power.

That's why your times were were slower. But like I said a the only mod that can drop .7 off your times would be a small shot of nitrous. If you would have had the same 800 as before you could have touched 13's. or very at least 14.00's. What were you 60ft times by the way?

Play with this horse power calculator and get a good estimate of the horse power with the system off vs on using your times. Post them if you don't mind.
http://www.corral.net/tech/horsepower.html
my 60s were 2.2 60 ft times which was also pissing me off, I usually run 2.1's :(

I put in my numbers in the HP calc and without the system on it estimates 197 hp and with it 217 hp.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
It's called Stanton; it's a bit of a hike from us over here by D-town; it's north of Grand Rapids. Here's the map-quest from my house to the town where the track is . . .

It says 110 miles from Hartland, so tack on another 25-40 for those of you closer to Detroit.
Just got word!! Invite EVERYONE!!!!!! Track opens at 8 am we are out by 3 pm.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
I hope it was some kind of fluke because I managed a 14.6 at Lapeer (in Mi.) last Saturday at about 3pm and it was damn near 100 degrees out, humid as all hell and I am bone stock including the air filter. I'm very excited about the H2O/alky kit but the track results have been less than impressive so far. :(

Were you at Milan?
don't worry man, like I said I had a hard time even boosting to 12 psi and I can usually move the vacuum lines and hit 15 (car freaks out of course). I am on the west side of the state. I goto a track called Mid Michigan Motorplex.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Remember also that the track is greatly affected by the heat, times are also affected by how well the track was preped. It's for this reason I never go to the track on an open track day. I will pay a bit extra and go on a race day when the track is well prepped.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
MotorMouth said:
Remember also that the track is greatly affected by the heat, times are also affected by how well the track was preped. It's for this reason I never go to the track on an open track day. I will pay a bit extra and go on a race day when the track is well prepped.
that's an interesting thought

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MotorMouth said:
I was wondering about track prep since only about 30 cars total went. Figured they didn't care as much since they werent making as much moola.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts