Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 ION Red-Line 4 Door QuadCoupe - Bought it the first week of Februrary. About a month later ( approx 1,000 miles ) the gearbox sounded like it was starting to fail. The noise has gotten worse and I have taken it into the dealership.

A day later they called me to tell me the Transaxel is the cause and that the factory is working on a " FIX " for the problem.

Other than the gearbox sounding like it has no oil in it the car runs fine.

However the noise is getting worse.

I am approaching 2,000 miles and the dealership is still without a clue.

Is anyone else having this problem?

R

·
Registered
187 Posts
I not sure if I've got the same problem as you, but I'm hearing a noise too. I've got a little over 4k on mine, and I think I've heard it from day one. With the radio off and the windows down, I'll hear a light grinding noise. Mainly the first moments after each shift, when I apply power, I'll hear it. It sounds to me like gears meshing without oil. It's not very loud, but concerning nonetheless. If this case is similar to yours, let me know. I've been meaning to have it checked out, but I've been so bloody busy lately. Since no one's brought it up till now, I guess I just figured it was normal? After all, it's my first manual. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you have the " Grind " too.

Your description of the sounds, relating to the powertrain, are almost word for word I would have described it to the dealership.

While the dealer has stated that the problem is more of a nuisance. And that an impending failure of the part is most likely not going to happen.

However, if I was cruising down the freeway at 70+ mph and a component of the drivetrain failed/siezed.... It is likely that I would lose control of the vehicle and could have a serious accident.

R

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think I hear the same sound as you both are hearing. Whenever I accelerate, I hear a slight grinding noise, kind of like bike chains grinding. It is kind of faint, and I can notice it only with the windows up and radio off. It also sounds like wind noise, but it's the same at any speed, and only happens when I'm accelerating. I notice it in lower RPMs.

I took my RL to the dealer a drove a mechanic in my car to point out the noise, and he told me that it's a normal supercharger sound. It's the sound of the air being pushed into the intake from the supercharger. This would make sense since you only hear it when hitting the gas, and it gets a little louder when hitting the gas more (more air being pushed in). I don't know if that's what the noise is, but it would make sense. I'm still wary of the noise and will be listening to see if it gets worse, which it has not yet.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jpapa said:
I think I hear the same sound as you both are hearing. Whenever I accelerate, I hear a slight grinding noise, kind of like bike chains grinding. It is kind of faint, and I can notice it only with the windows up and radio off. It also sounds like wind noise, but it's the same at any speed, and only happens when I'm accelerating. I notice it in lower RPMs.

I took my RL to the dealer a drove a mechanic in my car to point out the noise, and he told me that it's a normal supercharger sound. It's the sound of the air being pushed into the intake from the supercharger. This would make sense since you only hear it when hitting the gas, and it gets a little louder when hitting the gas more (more air being pushed in). I don't know if that's what the noise is, but it would make sense. I'm still wary of the noise and will be listening to see if it gets worse, which it has not yet.
The first guy dosen't have a supercharger though, it's just a QC. Not sure about that one. My Redline has a bit of nosie under the hood, I drove a regular Ion for a loaner once, and it was quiet as can be. I have chalked it up to the supercharger as well, my buddy has a Camaro with a Vortech, and you can hear that thing makin all sorts of noise from a block away. I told him about the noise under my hood, he listened to it, and said that's the quietest blower he ever heard. I'll accept that as long as the noise stays the same.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The first guy has the RL, he just put 4-door in description. But at least there's another confirmation that it's coming from the SC. That Camaro's gotta be one quick car....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
My bad, I saw the Quad-Coupe thing and didn't read it right. Yea, the Camaro is beyond fast. Runs in the low double-digit 1/4's. It's a 350/383 Stroker with a bunch of crap, and the Vortech. Incredible car. His is so loud that he dosen't like the noise it makes at all, keeps thinking there is something wrong with the car, then gets mad cause he can't hear the engine. It sounds like a spooled up turbo from a block away idling in neutral.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same noise, during accel's and decel's. NOT the SC. Dealer has heard it but says it's normal. I say it's cheap sounding.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
This is a constant noise, not only during decel and accel. You may not agree, but my dealer says its the supercharger, his dealer does, a few of my buddies with supercharged cars say it's normal, and the one guy that I REALLY trust says its the supercharger. If it's not, please tell me what you think it is. The gearbox does make a noise, particualry during a 2-1 downshift, but every car I've ever owned has made some noise during 2-1 downshifts.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Katie's car has the same sound. It seems perfectly normal to me. Either the blower or the Saab tranny having semi-straight cut gears would make that sound.

You wanna hear a loud tranny? Listen to a T-56 with an aftermarket shifter. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the noise you are talking about sounds like penny's or somthing rattlying around in your tranny?
In 2002 they started having this problem in the Getrag tranny in the J body platform and the TSB from GM was to change the fluid to a thicker one. There was an explination as to why it was making the noise,but no complete solution was derived. No service problems to my knowledge,but annoying none the less.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This would be a great time to get the LSD!!! :) That is, if they plan on actually fixing it... I read another thread on this before and every dealer ended up telling them that it was "normal" because of the way the gears are cut... But I highly doubt that it is not fixable if they were willing to investigate more.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
RLnewbie said:
If the noise you are talking about sounds like penny's or somthing rattlying around in your tranny?
In 2002 they started having this problem in the Getrag tranny in the J body platform and the TSB from GM was to change the fluid to a thicker one. There was an explination as to why it was making the noise,but no complete solution was derived. No service problems to my knowledge,but annoying none the less.
It's not a Getrag transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2004/2005 Redline Recall

RDCOMPUTER said:
I own a 2005 ION Red-Line 4 Door QuadCoupe - Bought it the first week of Februrary. About a month later ( approx 1,000 miles ) the gearbox sounded like it was starting to fail. The noise has gotten worse and I have taken it into the dealership.

A day later they called me to tell me the Transaxel is the cause and that the factory is working on a " FIX " for the problem.

Other than the gearbox sounding like it has no oil in it the car runs fine.

However the noise is getting worse.

I am approaching 2,000 miles and the dealership is still without a clue.

Is anyone else having this problem?

R
It seems there is a Recall for the 2004/2005 Redline. The " Camshaft Position Sensor Housing Seal " needs replacement.

I knew I wasn't hearing things :)

However, I did also notice that there is an additional issue that may not be related. When at a dead stop (Brakes Applied) there seems to be some part, perhaps a cable that is under tension, that " Slips " causing a recoil and subsequent " twang " under the car.

I wonder what that could be. Sounds like the cable for the parking brake is slipping after applied.

Who knows!

R

·
Registered
196 Posts
tlake84 said:
This would be a great time to get the LSD!!! :) That is, if they plan on actually fixing it... I read another thread on this before and every dealer ended up telling them that it was "normal" because of the way the gears are cut... But I highly doubt that it is not fixable if they were willing to investigate more.
It's "normal" only in the fact that in affects all the Redline transmissions. The factory has already developed a repair procedure for the noise. They received a transmission back that a dealership had replaced in a customer's car because of the noise. They found that some of the gears were wobbling slightly and grinding or chattering against each other. All the techs need to do is remove the tranny, place a metal clip next to each gear to tighten it up, then replace the transmission.

The factory is not currently building any Redlines because of this issue. They are waiting to receive the "fixed" transmissions from Saab before they build any more.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i just bought my redline yesterday and it is a brand new one just built and i have the same noise. did they fix the problem or are they still fixing it. the last post was from march and said they stopped production on them because of this but again mine was built late april and has same noise??? any thoughts here??

·
Registered
196 Posts
zfactor said:
i just bought my redline yesterday and it is a brand new one just built and i have the same noise. did they fix the problem or are they still fixing it. the last post was from march and said they stopped production on them because of this but again mine was built late april and has same noise??? any thoughts here??
I'm not sure here. I was told that the Red Line production would resume in mid April. I assumed these would have the 'fixed' transmissions. I will check on it for you, though.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
thanks very much my vin ends in 5z162887 could you please tell me of any other recalls on this vin also it would be much appreciated!!!!! also i added another post of a very bad hesitation i get when hitting the gas a little harder than normal from a stand still or when just slowly taking off. new problem with these maybe??? my dealer just got 6 in all made in april. the sales mamager is a friend of mine we drove three of them and they all fealt this way. i drove a friends 2004 and hid did not do this at all??? thanks so much

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The case index indicates this "gear rattle" noise (around 1500-2500 engine rpm)may occur in almost any gear but may be more noticable in certain gears. The noise is apparently due movement/rattling of the blocker rings of the unloaded syncros (they are supposed to have 0.8-1.5mm "clearance") The noise may be more prominent cold and may dissappear when the transaxle reaches normal operating temperature.The noise may also appear to dissappear when the clutch pedal has been depressed, which has resulted in numerous cases of misdiagnosis that the noise was related to the clutch release bearing. (Wont do any good to replace it, it's just the "receptor"- part of the path the vibration/noise is being transferred to the operator)

Assuming this is the same noise you all are experiencing, your dealer was correct in that it wont have any negative effects on your transaxle, but as it is an annoyance Saturn engineering is apparently looking at a strategy to rectify this issue at the plant in Sweden. Funny thing is... the Saab 9-3 owners havnt been compalining about this issue, even with the exact same transaxle.

If they do make an internal change, IMO it will very likely appear as a bulletin sometime in the future. I doubt it would make it as far as a recall, but hey, you never know. :D

HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Quad Coupe Redline with a supercharger. Indeed I did describe it incorrectly. Anyway... CONFIRMED that the dealership had to replace a camshaft seal. It is a factory recall that only affects the Redline's (Because they have a different transmission) Additionally the tech who worked on my RL messed up the Camshaft Timing Sensor. Causing my redline to get poor mileage and misfires that were so bad it fooled the computer and would not allow the car to start. Lovely huh? But now that It has all been fixed it runs like a ROCKET! Using 92 octane also changes the way the car performs. Saturn documentation from the factory claims that after 3 tanks of 92 octane the car's computer will adjust the fuel and air mixtures resulting in additional horsepower and speed. Cool beans!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts