Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ion RL with the limited slip diff, I am only able to get it to go into 2nd and 4th gear right now if i try really really hard. there’s nothing wrong with the linkage or cables, i tried manually putting the trans in 1st and 3rd on the transmission, the shifting mechanism is as far as it can go and the counterweight on top is hitting the top trans mount but yet it wont go. i can get it to go into 2nd if i pull really hard on it and hold it. something obviously broke in the trans... any ideas what happened? also since it seems i need a new trans, or a used one. i found a used one with about 32,000 miles on it out of a saab, but im not sure if it has a LSD. how hard would it be to take the LSD out of mine and put it in the other trans? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I'm not aware of an American Model Saab that has the LSD in it. But, I could be wrong.

I do have a used LSD F35 transmission for sale. In the southern WI/Madison area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya that sucks. my trans only has about 53,000 miles on it. how many miles are on your LSD trans for sale? how much are u asking and are u willing to ship?

does anyone know how hard it would be to put a LSD in our trans? any special tools needed?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Everything I have read on here about LSD install is forget it. If you need to ask you can't do it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I only remember reading about 1 person who could do it. Most people that have the dealer take the transmission apart end up worse than they started. It takes some real specialized tools and knowledge.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
its probably the roll pin in the shift linkage at the trans, the levers move but not correctly as the roll pin is broken and jamming...imho without seeing the car

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the lever that shifts the gears goes beyond how far it should go.

so i guess it sounds like it would be easier to just find a used trans, but there are very few ones around where i live in southern cali... i found a trans out of a saab in connecticut for $700 but its not a LSD :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need some help, does anybody know what would be broke when the lever with the big brass colored counterweight will just spin without going into gear, it wont lock in and will just go far beyond how far it should go. here is a picture of the lever. it never locks in and wont go into gear. i couldnt find any transmissions in the are with limited slip and reasonably priced and since i got fired and have no income my only option is to repair it myself. i am pretty knowlageable with auto repair and allways did my own work, i put the stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel in, but i have had no expierience with transmission repair. any help with what part could be broken or where to find a repair manual for the inside of this transmission would help alot. thanks guys.

http://www.geocities.com/ca9281/F35_MU3.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if i take it apart, i am putting it back together, i will use my whole brain unlike some people. i have tools and know many people with specialty tools. how about the ****** people dont post anything here from now on...

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
if i take it apart, i am putting it back together, i will use my whole brain unlike some people. i have tools and know many people with specialty tools. how about the ****** people dont post anything here from now on...
If you do not have any transmission repair in your background, you're going to be learning on one that is more difficult than most to deal with. You'll need to purchase quite an amount of specialty tools, and you're going to get very frustrated with it.

If you're fine with that, more power to you.

But, it really is a lot less hassle and frustration to swap in a used unit. Even then, you'll get pretty pissed off with trying to bleed the slave cylinder out properly.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
With what you describe in your last post, I agree with Qwik. It sounds like it could just be a roll pin.
Cobalt SS Network
Try that.

You are NOT going to be able to take apart the transmission and fix it. Most transmission shops won't even try - it requires a lot of specialized tools.

·
Registered
637 Posts
heres the list of tools you need to take it apart.

* Tools Required
* 87-91-188 Screw Press Support
* 87-91-204 Output Shaft Bearing Race Sleeve
* 87-91-261 Output Shaft Remover
* 87-91-287 Puller
* 87-91-295 Puller Arms, 300 mm
* 87-91-303 Puller Arms, 150 mm
* 87-91-410 Output Shaft Protector
* 87-91-972 Assembly Ring
* 87-92-103 Output Shaft Assembly Tool
* 87-92-129 Lifting Eye
* 87-92-202 Output Shaft Bearing Race Sleeve
* J 25031-A Three Jaw Puller
* J 43483 Impact Driver
* J 43707 Transaxle Support Fixture
* J 43964 Engine Stand Fixture Adapter

and now to put it back together
* Tools Required
* 78-41-067 Sleeve, Inner Drive
* 83-90-114 Sleeve
* 87-90-867 Input Shaft Bearing Ring
* 87-91-204 Output Shaft Bearing Race Sleeve
* 87-91-261 Output Shaft Remover
* 87-91-311 Sleeve, Bearing Driver Shaft
* 87-91-428 Driver
* 87-92-053 Companion Flange
* 87-92-061 Output Shaft Nut Socket
* 87-92-095 Kilogram Weight
* 87-92-103 Output Shaft Assembly Tool
* 87-92-137 Milled Bearing Race
* 87-92-202 Output Shaft Bearing Race Sleeve
* J 43707 Transmission Support Fixture
* J 44362 Input Shaft Support
* J 7754-C Inch Pound Torque Wrench
* SA9179NE Dial Indicator

so thats what ive been doing wrong all these years, i have to use my whole brain?! to much work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can only find a few transmissions, and none are limited slip. I have no problem bleeding the slave cylinder, i have replaced it already and took took it off another time. Thank you guys for your help. I have a few of the tools and friends that own a machine shop and a Mercedes shop that have many tools and would let me work on it there. I still need to buy the used trans and then tow my car to where i will be working on it. thanks again!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or buy my brand new for a steal, with the LSD. I have a post in there about it in the Sale forum. I had the same problem as you with my trans, car is at the dealer now, they are trying to get GM to fix it. I'm 1,300 miles over the warranty and like 2 monthes :( so I doubt they will be cool. I found a good deal on 2 brand new ones, one for me one for possible you. Please buy it, I got to sell it before the CC payment is due :( Sorry to thread jack bout the trans, but I'm scared I'll not get rid of it in time, and he needs one. 28 more days.... Help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts