Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... I know, I know, there are lots of threads and I thought this one might be useful here rather than other spots.

My intent was just to create a thread to merge some information, while confusing, to point out the differences in the appropriate fluid for the lsj trans and hopefully assist some noobs if needed...if they search.

To begin with the master:
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/584985-post56.html

Also:
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/1983-thinking-swapping-out-my-transmission-fluid.html

Which also contains the TSB link that WOP discussed.

When I was researching about changing my own fluid I came across some inconsistencies such as:
Supersession Information
Part number 21018899 was superseded by part number 88862472.
#88862472 is the newer and slightly lighter weight trans fluid for the LNF's.

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/43172-flatgods-winter-build-8.html#post867002

The slight differences - shortbus:
the original stuff 05-07 balt and 04 07 rl are the same the new 08-10 is slightly different and better in cold weather
From Maven the guru:
"Gear oil part number 21088899 lsj

88862472 fluid is the fluid that is spec for the new F35s as used behind the LNF. Its yet another unique Castrol GL type fluid, the original stuff is "BOT 0063", the new stuff is "BOT 0402", the major difference being its thinner than the original. The 21018899 is roughly something between a 75w85 and a 75w90, the new stuff is roughly between a 70w80 and a 75w85."
To this end I think the appropriate GM replica number I have found mirroring the saturn number of 21018899 is GM #88861800. I am under the impression that 88862472 probably supersedes the GM 88861800 number also.

All of the fluids seem to be available. 2101899 is on gmpartsdirect.com in packs of 6 but they sometimes list things that are unavailable or not in stock and the local dealers here have the part number, it is a valid number, but can't order any of it, my dealers being gm folks.

88862472 is on gmpartsdirect, gmpartscenter.net and saturnparts.net

If anyone has any other information that might be useful to relate the fluids or specific properties I would appreciate knowing it. Also, I can't see why 88862472 wouldn't be an acceptable substitute for the original 2101** fluid unless someone knows otherwise?

F35 (MU3) transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thread.

Here is the stuff I used in my RL two weekends ago.

Damn, where did you snag it? I was unable to shell out the $85 for the six pack of partsdirect.

Given your experience, I don't think the newer, lighter version will be an issue for the trans, do you?

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Damn, where did you snag it? I was unable to shell out the $85 for the six pack of partsdirect.
I shelled out the money to gmpartsdirect.

Its takes 1.8qtrs to refill the transaxel. I am going to change my fluid every 30k. So I am good for a few more years.

Given your experience, I don't think the newer, lighter version will be an issue for the trans, do you?
I am not the best person to answer this. From my point of view...I understand that there needs to be a certain amount of friction in the transaxel or things can go bad.

That is why I went with the OEM stuff. Better safe then sorry.

I am sure there are plenty of guys who would argue the other side.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use that same fluid when filling the MU3's.

I'll check the part number on the bottle, but I'm pretty sure it's still a valid one.

I'll look into that new stuff you were talking about, and get to this thread tomorrow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little bit more info from some knowledgeable people.

Maven said:
Yes the new "2472" fluid is absolutely backward compatible with all F35's I consider it an upgrade actually.
S.Bretz said:
If the number superceeds, use the new number. Since there is a new number, that is now what the engineers at GM are recommending.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So is there an Amsoil fluid we can use. Cause I just rolled over 50k and want to change my transmission fluid.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As far as I can cross reference, yes.

Manual Transmission Fluid SAE 75W-85 GL/4 88862472 - Crate Engine Depot

Yes the new stuff is better for cold winter starts and shifting.
No the lighter the viscosity the better the lubrication especially on cold running start up even at 90 degrees outside; I have used for 25 years (!) in other applications a 75w90 GL6 lube. I have to buy it in 55 gallon drums. It was developed for rear axles in log skidders dump trucks and military stuff for serious minus temps, but it works better on the race track at high temps too.

The GL6 is regarded as an "obsolete" spec as it has so much additive in it for extreme pressure lubrication and stuff it stinks and is an ugly brown color.

If GM come out with a newer lube its worth using it for sure. Most of the synchro wear happens #1 on cold start up even in warm weather and #2 downshifting at too high a speed for the gear ratio causing serious wear not on the synchro itself but on the blocker ring behind it. #3 speed shifting, see #2
1) its a very unique low viscosity GL4 type fluid. Dont replace it with anything but the stock fluid which is actually PN88862472

2) see #1

3)No, its not, GM doesnt use any wet clutch manual transmissions, I dont know of anyone who does.
All from shortbus....

So is there an Amsoil fluid we can use. Cause I just rolled over 50k and want to change my transmission fluid.
From the information I have gathered especially since the people encouraging the use of the gm specific have serious knowledge, it is not recommended to use anything other than the gm fluid. What did wop say, YMMV?

·
16,889 Posts
So liamrh. How do we clean this all up and make it easy to understand for anyone reading it? Do you want to edit your first post and put all the good info in there and sort of break down the whole thread?

Or I can do it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on how you want to organize it I guess. Normally I just leave the threads alone since people can see the progression of the initial question through to the general consensus/answer. I'm open to suggestions though.

However, how much sludge is have people seen on the lower plug? Just over 70K on mine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
depends on seals, are they rubber, or synthetic? from what I see thus far, Amsoil and rubber doesn't appear to mix.

The question is whether the synthetics will deteriorate the factory seals, and what exactly you have installed.

·
16,889 Posts
Depends on how you want to organize it I guess. Normally I just leave the threads alone since people can see the progression of the initial question through to the general consensus/answer. I'm open to suggestions though.

However, how much sludge is have people seen on the lower plug? Just over 70K on mine.
I think what I am going to do is make a "How to change your trans oil thread" and then add this info in that thread. There is some very good stuff in here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, well to add, I think it is an 8mm allen wrench/socket needed or you can use a Torx T-50 if I have that correct. Taking the drivers side wheel off does help a lot if you have a funnel and tubing, WHICH you should already have on hand.

Once again, how much metal "goo" has been found on the lower magnetic plug by folks on here?

·
16,889 Posts
Okay, well to add, I think it is an 8mm allen wrench/socket needed or you can use a Torx T-50 if I have that correct. Taking the drivers side wheel off does help a lot if you have a funnel and tubing, WHICH you should already have on hand.

Once again, how much metal "goo" has been found on the lower magnetic plug by folks on here?
Yeah. I got pics. :)

There was not a lot of shavings on the magnet on my lower plug. But I have no way to compare that to "normal".

·
16,889 Posts
Ok, how many miles and what would you estimate to be "not a lot"?
32k. The second part is hard to answer. There was shavings on the magnet but it did not totally cover the entire plug. When I pulled out the plug I could still make out the shape of the magnet inside the plug.

I then pulled out the magnet and clean it up.

Does that help?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I guess so. I had about 1/3" of "goo" on the top of the magnet. It did have have fluid mixed in so it wasn't compacted. I can't see anything wrong with the transmission or how it acts except that it is smoother with the new fluid. However, I don't know how chris or the other owner drove this car....

Oh and it didn't have hardly any shavings, just fine powder like substance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Need help please. I got an 04 ion redline and I need to get some tranny fluid but which do I buy???

Gear oil part number 21088899 lsj
or
this stuff 88862472??

Please help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts