Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back form the dealership yesterday after having my oil changed and they said that I needed to have my trans flushed, and my power steering and brake fluid changed. I have no idea how much that's going to end up costing me. I have a 2006 2 door Ion 3, and it just hit 56k miles. Any ideas on the price range?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
How many miles on the car? They tell you that because they have to. It might not necessarily be needed if you don't put a lot of miles on your car. But I can assure you to get that done at the dealership will be a painful economic lesson. Unfortunately, going anywhere else to save money increases your risk of it not being done right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just hit 56k miles. And I don't want to go to some local shop and have them screw up my car, but at the same time I need to save up for it. I'm worried that while I save up for it my car will end up being damaged.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
lol! tell them if they can show you where to put power steering fluid in, then you'll pay double for the rest of the services, but if they can't, then you want the trans flush and brake flush and coolant flushed for free.

anyway, you shouldn't NEED a tranny flush. i did mine at 75k and it was pristine. if you are road racing or autocrossing, it might be a good idea to flush your brakes, but honestly, most people never ever flush their brake fluid ever. you shouldn't NEED a coolant flush until 100k either.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
What ^^^he^^^said

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Haha yea I can't believe they tried to sell you a power steering flush! LOL!!!

But yeah I did my trans along with the blower oil at about 90K and both still looked ok.

I will do the brake/clutch fluid whenever I need a new clutch.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
the last tech inspection i went through required you to swear you had flushed your brake fluid within the past 12 months. that was last memorial day. if i ever get out to another track day, i'll probably flush it like a week beforehand.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
imho change brake fluid yearly. power steering bs. cooling system every 3 years. trans never (well er...except when you change clutch fix synchro's etc lol)
engine oil when lite tells you...that is all

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
ugh, don't wait till the light says change the oil. i know there's been a lot of research and testing of oil to come up with the algorithm that controls the light, but as i have said many times before, we're not worried about the oil.

worry if your oil filter up to the task. i have seen too many paper filters that have disintegrated with 8-9000 miles on them. even if it survives, how well is it filtering, or did it clog a long time ago? we don't know.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
brake fluid is a very important thing to have flushed, and should not be overlooked. It's very inexpensive and not hard to do, even easier with helpful tools like a powerbleeder, coolant, varies. If the coolant isn't added with water with minerals I can see it lasting. But dex-cool does last a while, but it seems all of a sudden, it's nasty! trans flush....I forget if you said it was manual or not. Sure it wasn't a rl. But if it's auto... always a good idea to do every other year or 30k. I belive in preventitive maintanance and I don't have alot of problems others have. Call me too preventitive but I'll stick to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's an automatic so I guess that's more prone to needing a flush sooner than the manual transmission. The guy didn't even tell me the stuff verbally, he just gave me a sheet after my oil change and it said that it "Requires attention" So basically: brake fluid resivoir= requires attention, transmisson= requires attention (trans flush), power steering= requires attention (power steering flush). That's exactly what it says on the paper. It said that my engine air and cabin flilters need to be replaced soon, I need brake system service, fuel system service, and then the two flushes. Though in the spot where it said they inspected my brakes it was checked off as good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brake fluid is a very important thing to have flushed, and should not be overlooked. It's very inexpensive and not hard to do, even easier with helpful tools like a powerbleeder, coolant, varies. If the coolant isn't added with water with minerals I can see it lasting. But dex-cool does last a while, but it seems all of a sudden, it's nasty! trans flush....I forget if you said it was manual or not. Sure it wasn't a rl. But if it's auto... always a good idea to do every other year or 30k. I belive in preventitive maintanance and I don't have alot of problems others have. Call me too preventitive but I'll stick to it.
See, I wouldn't have any problem doing that myself whatsoever, but I'm a girl and I don't know how to do any stuff like that on my own. It's not a red line, I wish it was though, and it is an automatic.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
So, it's an auto, ion coupe? What year? I still believe they have the same electric power steering as us, which still means there is no power steering fluid.

EDIT:
2006 2 door Ion 3, and it just hit 56k miles.
OK, reading > me. But still I believe you don't have power steering fluid.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
according to my haynes manual (but of course check your owners manual) automatic trans fluid should be changed every 100,000 miles, unless you frequently drive in temps over 90 or tow or in hilly or mountainous terrain.

if you frequently don't get top tier gas (mobil, shell, sunoco, etc) then perhaps a bottle of chevron techron fuel injector cleaner would be a good idea. that would take care of the "fuel system service" they're recommending.

if your brake fluid is clear and not cloudy or discolored, you could probably skip the flush if you're short on cash. of course, you could do a brake fluid flush with a big bottle of fluid and a friend and two wrenches if you like.

all ions use electric assisted power steering if they have power steering. no fluid neccessary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
according to my haynes manual (but of course check your owners manual) automatic trans fluid should be changed every 100,000 miles, unless you frequently drive in temps over 90 or tow or in hilly or mountainous terrain.

if you frequently don't get top tier gas (mobil, shell, sunoco, etc) then perhaps a bottle of chevron techron fuel injector cleaner would be a good idea. that would take care of the "fuel system service" they're recommending.

if your brake fluid is clear and not cloudy or discolored, you could probably skip the flush if you're short on cash. of course, you could do a brake fluid flush with a big bottle of fluid and a friend and two wrenches if you like.

all ions use electric assisted power steering if they have power steering. no fluid neccessary.
Well...I live in Louisiana so I take it that temps over 90 is me. I only fill up at Chevron and I put Lucas fuel treatment in my tank right before I fill up. I have no idea how to check break fluid. And I'm guessing I really don't have fluid for my power steering? My dad (whom I live nowhere near to otherwise I'd get him to do it) does stuff like that on his car and he told me that the break/power steering flush was a load of crap but I needed the trans. He said it was best at every 50k.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
On the firewall on the drivers side you will see a small tank/reservoir, on the lid it will say something about "Dot 3", that's the brake fluid, open it up and look inside to see how it looks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts