Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home today, and at a light, decided to gun it. Well, first gear was fine, but then the tires lost traction, and the car started to buck. I shifted into second gear and the RPM's went right towards redline, but still no pickup, so I shifted into third, and I still just never really engaged the gears. Am I stripping the gears? Or is the clutch the problem. Oh yeah, this all resulted in a lovely burning smell, not quite like rubber... :confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can't really "strip" the gears, that word/condition can't actually exist. Sounds like your clutch is going. Sorry, dude.

That smell was your clutch disc heating up and frying....

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like the clutch might have actually broke. You may have never got into second or third due to the clutch failing to release fully - maybe a broken spring or something.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
....clutch.......

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
You can't really "strip" the gears, that word/condition can't actually exist. Sounds like your clutch is going. Sorry, dude.

That smell was your clutch disc heating up and frying....
I agree it's the clutch. (love that smell)
But on a related note...
Speaking of "stripped gears" had a regular ION3 recently- "no move" in first gear (reverse was fine) Getrag F23 was removed , inspected, nothing found- back together, same condition. Damn!
OUT it came AGAIN for another and more detailed look-see. Turns out the "toothed" ring that the syncro locks onto (on the 1st speed gear) broke/cracked all the way around the laser weld and if you forced it with a brass punch 'n' hammer (you couldn’t turn it by hand) it would spin on the speed gear. (and the crack along the weld line was so indiscernible you couldn’t even notice turning when it moved/turned) Hmmmm
IN ALL MY YEARS-NEVER SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE!

WOT

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
WOW THATS INTERESTING ***!! IVE NEVER SEEN THAT EITHER. makes you wonder

·
Registered
762 Posts
Actually guys hold on I've had this happen to my Red Line but HERE IS WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH. IF in 1st gear you are spinning tires and HIT the rev limiter the cars ECU WILL NOT let you shift into any other gear until its RPMs have dropped to it looks like 2500. I have verified this numerous times and yet my clutch when driving normal is still perfectly fine and still shifts like butter. Yes doing it numerous times was probably a bad idea but it came to me while I was launching at the track and I've played around with it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Actually guys hold on I've had this happen to my Red Line but HERE IS WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH. IF in 1st gear you are spinning tires and HIT the rev limiter the cars ECU WILL NOT let you shift into any other gear until its RPMs have dropped to it looks like 2500. I have verified this numerous times and yet my clutch when driving normal is still perfectly fine and still shifts like butter. Yes doing it numerous times was probably a bad idea but it came to me while I was launching at the track and I've played around with it.

I hit limiter at the track in first and i got it into 2 gear way before it went back down to 2500 rpm's

·
Registered
762 Posts
Maybe I'm not pulling it back hard or far enough then?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made a post about this exact same problem awhile back. You might want to look it up. A few other people complained of clutches frying early. This car did one good burnout and that was it. Now when you hit second with the tires spinning on dry pavement the clutch slips like no other. The first time it happened I thought it was just the wheels spinning so I ran it through 4th gear. Then I smelled clutch and realized the car was just coasting so I let off and put it into 5th. When I went to get on the gas easy the RPMs shot up and the car didn't even move like it was in neutral. So I let the clutch out and then slipped it into neutral and coasted for a few seconds (at that point I thought there was no clutch or gears left). I put it back in 5th and tried again, and it continued on normally.

4,000 miles later the clutch is still fine (or as fine as it ever was) but you still can't hit second with the wheels spinning, but in all other cases it doesn't slip. I say these cars just have totally balless clutches, as mentioned in my topic about this, I've beat to death similar cars and never once had this problem with any of them.... maybe cuz they're japanese...... :D

Too much tire + too much power + not enough clutch = slippage ;)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Maybe I'm not pulling it back hard or far enough then?
I would say so...
Unless you have clutch or shift cable (or even internal) issues it SHOULD shift. There is no ECM controlled lock out or anything, is all I'm saying
WOT

·
Registered
162 Posts
planetSlowCar1 said:
I made a post about this exact same problem awhile back. You might want to look it up. A few other people complained of clutches frying early. This car did one good burnout and that was it. Now when you hit second with the tires spinning on dry pavement the clutch slips like no other. The first time it happened I thought it was just the wheels spinning so I ran it through 4th gear. Then I smelled clutch and realized the car was just coasting so I let off and put it into 5th. When I went to get on the gas easy the RPMs shot up and the car didn't even move like it was in neutral. So I let the clutch out and then slipped it into neutral and coasted for a few seconds (at that point I thought there was no clutch or gears left). I put it back in 5th and tried again, and it continued on normally.

4,000 miles later the clutch is still fine (or as fine as it ever was) but you still can't hit second with the wheels spinning, but in all other cases it doesn't slip. I say these cars just have totally balless clutches, as mentioned in my topic about this, I've beat to death similar cars and never once had this problem with any of them.... maybe cuz they're japanese...... :D

Too much tire + too much power + not enough clutch = slippage ;)
LOL I also find it funny that we (redlines) cannot spin the tires through all of second gear. Just maybe a little cherp then BOGGG way down. :( Not very "performance" like

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
have a 6 puck clutch on its way now, just like the rotors ill let you know how it works out. this should solve any problem we would have

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yay 6 puck! Where'd you get it and how much? What about the pressure plate? Lack of clamping force would do the same thing.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, that's not right man, I've hit the limter a few times, and it's never prevented me from shifting. I'm not sure how it would anyway.

On a related note, I've had one wheel spinning for quite a long time, thought my clutch was slipping. Even turned to my roommate riding shotgun, and said "Holy crap, my clutch just slipped all the way through second." He just looked at me and said "Well, for a slipping clutch it sure did a good job spinning this tire from the light till you let off of it." Since it was on the other side of the car, I didn't even hear it spinning, but I looked down the street and there was tire smoke all the way down it. Since then, I've had it happen at least twice. USUALLY, I can hear/feel it, but it tends to be the right tire alot. If nothing else, I can almost always smell it after a second or two, and it's not a clutch smell. So if you're sure that you're smelling the clutch, you might want to get that checked pronto...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts