Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I want your honest to God opinions about the Sprint Springs. I personally think the drop is absolutely beautiful and looks perfect. However, I want to know if they are bouncy. I've heard from one individual they are bouncy on the Redlines, is this true? Just want a heads up, don't want to sacrifice ride quality much.

BTW, I heard the progress springs are not good. They apparently drop the rear lower than the front and screw up the handling. I also heard they are really stiff, just an FYi...

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
Guys, I want your honest to God opinions about the Sprint Springs. I personally think the drop is absolutely beautiful and looks perfect. However, I want to know if they are bouncy. I've heard from one individual they are bouncy on the Redlines, is this true? Just want a heads up, don't want to sacrifice ride quality much.

BTW, I heard the progress springs are not good. They apparently drop the rear lower than the front and screw up the handling. I also heard they are really stiff, just an FYi...

Tom
The sprint springs do feel bouncy to me in the Red line, and a bit stiff ..... but that is comparing them to my coilovers in my SRT.

honestly, any drop springs you put in are going to be feel more bouncy than stock. But thats my opinion ......

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaytonaGTS said:
honestly, any drop springs you put in are going to be feel more bouncy than stock. But thats my opinion ......
Yup, you are right, that is how I feel too. This wont be the first car I've lowered. I just don't want a really bouncy ride that is uncomfortable or starts to get annoying after awhile.

XtremeSC2, I was not refering to JPK when I said it was bouncy...

Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is the fifth car i've lowered and I like them over Eibach and Koni, but not over Tein, You will be happy with them

·
Registered
391 Posts
you do feel i little more bumps in the road but thats what a performance suspension gives you. the car really didnt change toooooo much ride wise, but i only have 400 miles on my springs.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The ride has improved immensely since I put the springs on Sunday. Just a little bit rougher than stock, but that was expected.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've had mine on for 2 weeks now as of yesterday. The springs have seem to have finally settled in. I live in PA and work in NJ and let me tell you some of the roads I drive on are pretty bad. With that being said I've drivin in cars once there lowered and of course you feel a little bit more bounce and whatnot I don't think the redline has anymore bounce in the ride then you would notice then with any other car being lowered. I think the 1.8" drop is a perfect drop for my area. If I lived in say florida or somewhere where the roads are all flat I'd maybe would have gone with the 3" drop but I am very VERY happy with my springs and would recommend them to everyone!

·
Registered
411 Posts
matt said:
No

The Sprint springs are not really bouncy, just stiff IMO.

If the springs make your car bounce then your spring rate is to high for the car struts.

The strut is designed to smooth out the spring compressing and decompressing. If your car bounces back and forth the strut doesn't have enough damping power for your spring rate. Your spring is overworking your strut and shorting the life.

Since the struts are designed for the stock spring rate, if you put a higher rate, they will degrade the handling of the car. So if you plan on putting different spring in there I would make sure they are the same spring rate or close.

PS:
Since someone mentioned progressive springs.
There are two types of spring:
1)Single rate- the amount of force required to compress the spring is constance.
2)Progressive rate- the amount of force required to compress the spring increase as the sping is compressed.

Progressive springs are nice in that they can cushion small bumps but still absorb larger suspension movements without fully compressing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am curious about the sprint springs as well. I have wondered about getting them for a while, but around my area Sprint Springs (not on the ION Red Line) have a reputation for being bouncy. Keep this thread going, the only way to find out is to have people with experience with the springs on our cars speak about them.

Also where can you get the springs? Are these the only ones being made? Are they made in different drop rates? :confused:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here is where you can get the Sprint Springs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960913199&category=33586&sspagename=WD1V

If you order make sure they send you the right ones, I apparently got ones for the Scion :confused:

I'll be getting the right ones on Tuesday. Can someone do a little "how to" on installing the front springs. I know I need an air gun and a special socket for a star shaped bolt (from what I have read), but what else should I know?

I can do a "how to" on the back springs if anyone wants.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I like my sprints.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My sprints are better than yours! j/k
It's kind of convenient that they and my car are blue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am very happy with my sprints. I put them on the same day i drove 5 hundred miles. No problems at all..!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've had the springs on for about 6 months now, they were advertised to drop 1.8 in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Looks great, feels great and I swear that they lowered it 2" in the rear and maybe 2 1/4" inches in the front. I bought mine from Saturn, they were for the Ion quad coupe, but the car they were on the guy hated them so the dealership took them off and resold them to me for about 25 bucks a piece. Didn't have fit problems and did it myself in my garage in about 2.5 hours. All I need (that I didn't have) was a strut spring compressor that I had to borrow from my dad. It's a Snap-On jaw type compressor, not the screw type that you will find in most auto parts stores......I'd say do it and you will never have to worry about it, and love it!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
It's a Snap-On jaw type compressor, not the screw type that you will find in most auto parts stores......I'd say do it and you will never have to worry about it, and love it!!!

Are you saying that the threaded type won't work or just bragging about your cool tools?
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts