Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had everything blue except for the right side of the tach. I couldn't leave well enough alone though.

I decided to try and finish. Well, let's just say that now the right half of my tack does not light up at all. I tried to trouble shoot by taking the bulb out of the fuel and temp and seeing if it would work in the tach side. Well it didn't.

Not only that......now, whenI put the bulb back in the fuel temp side it doesn't work now either.

I'm very frustrated with this whole thing. I should have just quit when 3/4 of it lit up blue. Now I only have the center two bulbs working, which lights up the entire speedometer and the first half of the tach. :mad:

I'm just gonna call saturn tuesday and see how bad they are gonna rape me on a new set of stock bulbs, I guess.

This was supposed to be an easy mod too. :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
JPK send me your bulbs I will fix them. Send the old one and new I'm going to use the terminals from the old with the new bulbs. I tried that on a set that I had and they work great. No bend slide them in and they work. Of course the do change color. They are the 7 color ones. Send them to me and I'll get them fix and back out to you the next day.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is not funny I am always rebuilding my computers overclocking and trying to get the last mhz out of them and screw them up once in a while but you know what things can be fixed.I do know how you feel though. :mad:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already took the led bulbs and put them in the stock housings.

I think I fucking fried something in my cluster. I went back out to try again. I just jiggled the bulb a little and turned the lights on and FUCKING SMOKE STARTED COMING OUT OF BACK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY CLUSTER!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

Dude, this is totally fucked up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
what voltage were the LEDs you got from radioshack rated at? If you put 12V through a 5V LED, you can get the smoke to come out.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
bbrazil said:
what voltage were the LEDs you got from radioshack rated at? If you put 12V through a 5V LED, you can get the smoke to come out.

No, it was a 3V led and I had a 470 ohm resistor soldered in there. The resistors that came in the leds that Rick ordered for us were 430 ohm. Radio shack only had 470 ohm.

I thought it was safe to use a 470 because it is not below 430 and is the next closest tolerance.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Shit man, sorry to hear that. Now I'm just worried and don't think I'll even try this. I'm thinking about going and buying some spare stock bulbs, and send them to Rick so he can solder them...

Tom

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my plan.

I'm gonna try and buy some stock bulbs from Saturn. I'm just gonna put it back stock with white lights.

Hopefully, everything will work like normal again.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tricky messing with these LEDs. I'm using 1K ohm resistors in my 10MSD LEDS in the ones I made. If you guys want to send them to me and I will make them for you. I'll test them on my car before I send them to you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Heh, yeah, the little resistance calculator I found online sez... For a 3V LED to sink 12V at 20mA, you should use a 430 Ohm resistor. And sinking more should be okay. So, weird.

Did all the LEDs light? You may have been shorting across the resistor or something...

·
Registered
703 Posts
saturnd00d said:
or play it safe, and buy some gauges which light up blue from blackcatcustom.com, and leave your stock gauge lighting alone.
$89 dollars seems a little pricey. Those are for the regular Ions also, they only read up to 120. Redlines got to 140 right? :confused:

Although you get what you pay for and those "appear" to be a good quality product.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I bought some of the stock bulbs from the dealer (4 for $14) and everything is back to normal and working.

I actually thought that the blue made the numbers very hard to read at night. I think you'd need to get a brighter LED to make them able to read at a glance. I found myself having to strain to read the numbers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried to put my red ones in tonight, and none of them would work without any tweaking of the tabs. luckily, i didn't break any. But i agree, the leds in these bulbs are very very dim. I had to strain really hard to read the red numbers afterwards. I ended up putting the stock ones back in. I was hoping it'd light up bright red like all the other red lights on the console. :( :(

JPK said:
Well, I bought some of the stock bulbs from the dealer (4 for $14) and everything is back to normal and working.

I actually thought that the blue made the numbers very hard to read at night. I think you'd need to get a brighter LED to make them able to read at a glance. I found myself having to strain to read the numbers.

·
Registered
762 Posts
So obviously the LEDs are not the best choice but the best choice would be to have blackcatcustoms make these gauges. It's been stated he'll make them if we get a buy in. So lets maybe put something together.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
D3XXFR said:
So obviously the LEDs are not the best choice but the best choice would be to have blackcatcustoms make these gauges. It's been stated he'll make them if we get a buy in. So lets maybe put something together.

Do they all have to be the same or can everyone in the group buy get something different?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts