1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#05-08-62-001 (Apr 26, 2005)
Rear Fascia Paint/Finish Scratching or Scuffing (Install Rubber Bumpers) -
2003-2005 Saturn ION Vehicles

Condition:Customers may comment on scratch or scuff type marks on the top surface of the rear fascia directly below and in line with the decklid appliqué.

Cause:The scuffs may be caused by decklid "over-travel" during closing of the decklid. If the decklid is closed with excessive effort, the decklid appliqué may contact the fascia.

Correction:Install 3 rubber bumpers to the bottom side of the decklid appliqué.
;)
WOT

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you for that!

I took my Red Line in back in August or so and told them about it. They repainted my whole bumper - which was great since I had some bumper scratches.

However, the original scratches under the trunk were back in a week or so.

Now, I have another bumper scratch and I'm hoping they'll paint it all out again when they perform this TSB.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
WopOnTour said:

Condition:Customers may comment on scratch or scuff type marks on the top surface of the rear fascia directly below and in line with the decklid appliqué.

Cause:The scuffs may be caused by decklid "over-travel" during closing of the decklid. If the decklid is closed with excessive effort, the decklid appliqué may contact the fascia.

;)
WOT
Thanks for the heads up. Both of my RL are doing this.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I would like to point out that if you close the trunk with the absolute minimum force needed, it seems to stop. I have a few that I got in the first week or so, and since I started closing it like it's made of glass, there dosen't seem to be any new ones. Might just be mine though...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I haven't noticed any marks on mine..then again, I think the trunk has been opened a total of 4 times in 2.5 months.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sp00ner said:
I would like to point out that if you close the trunk with the absolute minimum force needed, it seems to stop. I have a few that I got in the first week or so, and since I started closing it like it's made of glass, there dosen't seem to be any new ones. Might just be mine though...
That's exactly what the extended details of the TSB seems to indicate Spooner. Only when slammed shut.

WOT

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jpapa said:
It seems that almost every single RL with a spoiler is doing this. Will they repaint our damaged bumpers and cover it under warranty???
The fine print in the bulletin suggests they should be able to "finesse" these marks out of the clear coat as they generally dont extend into the base coat.
WOT

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The traunk weighs a ton with it on there, and it sits so far back on it. I showed Vita when I picked up the intake, it's heavy...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I noticed now that I got a trunk without a spoiler it weighs nothing at all.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I originally had the flat-wing on my Red Line when all my scratches showed up. That spoiler adds very little weight to the trunk.

After my fix, with the flat-wing, the scatches came back. And I'm very conscientous of how I close my trunk - even back when I had my 93 SC1.

Now, with my aero-wing, when closing the trunk, I bring it down to maybe 4 to 6 inches from the bottom and simply let go. The weight of the trunk with the spoiler is enough to close it with a gentle touch.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kirtsky said:
Even if it is a weight thing, I don't think that the trunk should be able to touch the rear bumper at all.
That's basically all these 3 bumpers do, they stop the travel so the trunk lid wont hit. Some dealers had been doing it for a while now, but they made it official. Keep in mind it's NOT a recall.
WOT

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Kirtsky said:
Even if it is a weight thing, I don't think that the trunk should be able to touch the rear bumper at all.
Absolutley correct, not making excuses for 'em.

·
Registered
808 Posts
WopOnTour said:

;)
WOT
I took care of that 2 months ago on mine. I used the fuzzy side of velcro on the bottom of the trunk lid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts