Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a list of TSB's and Recalls that I could find. If you have more to add, please add the problem and TSB/recall # only, as I would like for this thread to be a place where someone can look up a problem they are having and have the info immediately available. Thanks. Any moderators want to sticky???

TSB's
Bumper scratches TSB# 05-08-62-001
Intercooler Wiring Reversed TSB# 05-06-02-003
Headliner Separation/Sagging TSB# 04-08-110-006
Gear rattle when cold TSB #05-07-29-004
Rear Driver side door creak TSB# 1866-599-4227
Engine Cranks with No Start or Engine has Extended Crank(Greater than 3 Seconds) Before Starting TSB# 04-06-01-026
Premature and/or Irregular Tire Wear (Set Front Sum Toe and Rotate Tires as Necessary) TSB#: 05-03-07-001
Engine Runs Rough After Extended Crank, and/or Engine Hesitation on Acceleration after Initial Cold Start During Ambient Temperatures Below 10° C (50° F) (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM]) TSB# 05-06-04-006

the #05514 Campaign was Enhanced Oxygen Sensor Response Diagnostic (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM]) and was for 2004 Only

Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0128 "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature" Set (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM])-2005 Models Only #05-06-04-038 - (Jun 2, 2005)

Recall #'s
CAM seal recall completedRecall # 05522
PCM Upgrade CAL Recall # 05514
Fuel Feed Assembly Recall#04053001 (04s only)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
defiant1 said:
Here is a list of TSB's and Recalls that I could find. If you have more to add, please add the problem and TSB/recall # only, as I would like for this thread to be a place where someone can look up a problem they are having and have the info immediately available. Thanks. Any moderators want to sticky???

TSB's
Bumper scratches TSB# 05-08-62-001
Intercooler Wiring Reversed TSB# 05-06-02-003
Headliner Separation/Sagging TSB# 04-08-110-006
Gear rattle when cold TSB #05-07-29-004
Rear Driver side door creak TSB# 1866-599-4227
Engine Cranks with No Start or Engine has Extended Crank(Greater than 3 Seconds) Before Starting TSB# 04-06-01-026
Not sure what this is for TSB# 05-06-04-006

Recall #'s
CAM seal recall completedRecall # 05522
PCM Upgrade CAL Recall # 05514
Fuel Feed Assembly Recall#04053001 (04s only)
Here's a few additions if you or the mods want to just edit the initial post?
WOT

TSB# 05-06-04-006 Engine Runs Rough After Extended Crank, and/or Engine Hesitation on Acceleration after Initial Cold Start During Ambient Temperatures Below 10° C (50° F) (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM])
And you can also add:
#05-06-04-038A - (Jun 2, 2005)
Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0128 "Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature" Set (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM])-2005 Models Only

And
the#05514 Campaign was Enhanced Oxygen Sensor Response Diagnostic (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module [PCM]) and was for 2004 Only

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
What's the website to look at the tsb documents?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Be forwarned
The majority of the TSBs in the ALLDATA list DO NOT even apply to the Redline, but to the regular IONs and OTHER GM cars and trucks. (Saturn just gets grouped in with the Divisional bulletins and Alldata does not appear to be able differentiate)
For instance note how many of them refrencing A/T?
That stands for Automatic Transmission (VT25)- ever seen a Redline with one?? :p Those are TSBs for the "regular" IONS that definately DO NOT apply to the Redline, yet ALLDATA claims they do!...

There's a difference between knowing that a bulletin EXISTS and being able to use that bulletin as a "KNOWN FAULT"
Many of the bulletins in the ALLDATA list are GM Coporate bulletins and applies to all cars and trucks, not specifically the Redline (Like the ones on Coolant, and OnStar) These dont outline a PROBLEM but are issued to communicate a revision to dealership documentation on those systems.

THE MAJORITY ARE NOT ANY SORT OF FAULTS SPECIFICALLY IN THE REDLINE!!

WOT

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Shift Control Knob Loose or Detached from Shift Control Lever (Secure Shift Control Knob with Adhesive and Fastener) #05-07-29-006 - (Sep 16, 2005)

Shift Control Knob Loose or Detached From Shift Control Lever (Secure Shift Control Knob with Adhesive and Fastener)
2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

2004-2005 Saturn ION Red Line

with 5-Speed Manual Transaxle (RPO MU3)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
This bulletin has recently been released for the IONs and Cobalts and can be added to the main list

Clunk in Steering System at Slow Speeds While Turning and/or Driving Over Bumps (Replace Intermediate Shaft) #05-02-32-005B - (Oct 28, 2005)
Repair: replace steering intermediate shaft assem

WOT

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
#04-08-45-005B - (Nov 16, 2005)
No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Body Control Module (BCM) and Ignition Switch, If Necessary)

No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Body Control Module [BCM] and Ignition Switch, If Necessary)
2003-2006 Saturn ION

Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

Please make notte that this is a BULLETIN not a recall, so to qualify for the recommended repair the vehicle must have experienced the NO START (as many here have reported) AND have either of those 2 DTCS stored in the BCM

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
RedlineKid said:
okay sorry but im a noob what is a TSB and if there is a recall then what do i do take my car in and get it fixed
Correct me if I'm saying anything incorrectly...

TSB = Technical Safety Bulletin.
A TSB is basically a 'mini-recall'.

A recall is when something is wrong over a lot (all?) of cars produced. Basically it's something that you can more or less take to a dealer and be like hey fix this, and it's pretty much something that should be fixed as soon as you can.

A TSB is an issue with a car that only affects some cars, not sure what the cutoff point is between a TSB and a recall in terms of the number of cars that must show the problem. But basically if you can signify to your dealer that you're having a problem that is affecting the driveability to a car, and it's a TSB. You know, one, others are having the problem, and two, as long as you can duplicate it to the dealer, you shouldn't have a problem having them fix it for you.

Basically TSBs and recalls are things that were produced poorly/wrong from the factory and have affected a significant amount of other cars. And the fix is covered regardless of warranty status, etc.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Alot of the difference, is based on safety. If its something that can injure you, they're alot more likely to make it a recall than if it's something else.

You'll probably never see a recall for the bumper scratches, but you did for the fuel rail leaking. Even though the scratches are more common. Ya know?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Freakazoid said:
Correct me if I'm saying anything incorrectly...

TSB = Technical Safety Bulletin.
A TSB is basically a 'mini-recall'.

A recall is when something is wrong over a lot (all?) of cars produced. Basically it's something that you can more or less take to a dealer and be like hey fix this, and it's pretty much something that should be fixed as soon as you can.

A TSB is an issue with a car that only affects some cars, not sure what the cutoff point is between a TSB and a recall in terms of the number of cars that must show the problem. But basically if you can signify to your dealer that you're having a problem that is affecting the driveability to a car, and it's a TSB. You know, one, others are having the problem, and two, as long as you can duplicate it to the dealer, you shouldn't have a problem having them fix it for you.

Basically TSBs and recalls are things that were produced poorly/wrong from the factory and have affected a significant amount of other cars. And the fix is covered regardless of warranty status, etc.
Well actually this all a bit innaccurate, let me attempt to clarify...

TSB is an acronym for "Techncial SERVICE Bulletin" (it usually does NOT have anything to do with SAFETY or a SAFETY system, but it MIGHT)

TSBs are NOT a recall or mandatory repair, and in fact may not even be indicating a cause>correction scenario that applies to ALL cars, even if they are listed in the TSB title. A TSB is released "TO THE DEALERSHIP" in order to provide updated information which MAY include additional diagnostic or even repair information that is not specifically outlined in the factory service manual. They are intended only for PROFESSIONAL TECHNCIANS and this is stated as such in the fine print on each and every bulletin
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
So just because a TSB exists for your car, it doesnt mean it applies. However IF (and only if) your vehicle can be confirmed as having the exact syptom as outlined in a bulletin- the dealership would (in all likelyhood) utilize the revised dianostic/repair information to fix your car. They may not inform you this was the case (nor are they obligated) however your copy of the repair order MAY include a copy of the TSB# used to (hopefully) rectify your scenario.

A RECALL (aka CAMPAIGN) on the otherhand is a voluntary repair made to a range of vehicles in order either meet some sort of regulated compliance (emissions, safet etc) OR purely to achieve improved customer satisfaction. You dealership will automatically know if your vehicle is in need of any RECALL repairs, the instant they enter it into their system. Otherwise, the owner of record would receive a letter indicating a RECALL repair is neccessary on their vehicle. Sometimes the RECALL would result in no repair at all, other than an inspection of some part, component, serial number or date code in order to determine if further repairs were neccssary.

In the end, KNOWING the potential existance of a TSB is useful in that it recognizes that your symptom MAY have an unusual but documented diagnosis and/or repair. But one must always acknowledge that they WONT be able to bring a vehicle in and say "THERE'S A TSB- FIX IT" as only a qualified techncian will be able to determine if in fact that vehicle exhibits the outlined symptoms and whether or not the TSB applies.

HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
way2slo said:
HEY just dropped car off at dealer this morning due to the fact i think my clutch is F*%$D. I asked if there wasany new recalls. AND he said they justgot one posted three days ago for the ecu... on the 04
Good One! (seen it on the 24th BUT was waiting for the actual calibration to become available)
They were correct and it's potentially significant, especially as the TSB #05-06-04-038B is actually the same one issued LAST year for the P0128 on the 2005 LSJs but (for whatever reason) didnt include the 2004 Redlines. However it was REVISED to include the 2004 Redlines!
So this looks to be the update to the 2004 OS we have all been waiting for.
HOWEVER
Dont RUSH to go get it as it may be a while before the calibration is actually available in the TIS software, as according to my check this AM- you would STILL be getting the same old software if you had it done TODAY

I will keep checking and will report once I see it change in the calibration database

I suggest If you get your 2004 FLASHED in the next couple weeks ASK THEM to record your calibration ID numbers BEFORE and AFTER the reflash to confirm there actually was a change

WOT

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does the bumper TSB also include the front bumper. I've noticed if I remove the passenger side Head Lamp Assy, the paint has been scraped off by the Head Lamp Assy and you can actually see the frizz from the bumper material.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
A while ago, I thought I remembered seeing a post about a TSB regarding window scratching in the ions (qc's), where the window gets scratches when rolled up and down and they fixed it with some intallation of something inside the door pannel. I figured if it actualy existed, it would be in here, but I didn't see it. WOP, is there any such TSB, or am I just making things up in my head again?:eek: :D
Subject: Aftermarket Window Tinting Scratched or Torn (Replace Side Door Window Inner Sealing Strips)
#03-08-64-038A - (10/01/2004)

Models: 2003-2004 Saturn ION Vehicles with Teflon Coated Side Door Inner Sealing Strips Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 4Z216369

Cause:The side door inner belt sealing strips are manufactured with a Teflon coated strip instead of a flocked strip. With the addition of aftermarket window tinting applied to the inner surface of the glass, the interface between the tinting, debris, and the Teflon® coated strip may scratch or tear the tint.

Correction:Replace all side door inner belt sealing strips with the new design service parts which now contain flocked material.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Recall? There is no recall of the 04 PCM (not sure where you got that from)
But the TSB that I THINK you are referring (as mentioned in a few posts above) was recently updated to include the 04 models. (up until recently it included only the 05 models)
This is actually for a PCM REFLASH in the event of a CEL combined with P0128 fault code. However I STILL dont see any change in the 2004 calibration CVN listing in TIS- so I'm not sure what's up.On the 05 it resulted in an all new set of files for the PCM. Perhaps they merely recompiled the same files to improve the "layout" somehow? Not sure at this point- still looking into it. In the end if you are getting an MIL and a P0128 on an 04 model- there's a new official fix for it.

WopOnTour
Is this the same reflash for the cold weather stalling? if not what symptoms would I have to go in with complaining about and when should I do this to get the update. Rod said it helped his intense equipped cobalt...a 06

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Subject: Aftermarket Window Tinting Scratched or Torn (Replace Side Door Window Inner Sealing Strips)
#03-08-64-038A - (10/01/2004)

Models: 2003-2004 Saturn ION Vehicles with Teflon Coated Side Door Inner Sealing Strips Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 4Z216369

Cause:The side door inner belt sealing strips are manufactured with a Teflon coated strip instead of a flocked strip. With the addition of aftermarket window tinting applied to the inner surface of the glass, the interface between the tinting, debris, and the Teflon® coated strip may scratch or tear the tint.

Correction:Replace all side door inner belt sealing strips with the new design service parts which now contain flocked material.
I love you. lol, I had to deal with a new service writer today (the only one that doesn't know me by name) and he told me to go get it retinted because there is a lifetime warranty on the tint. I told him this would happen again because it's not the tint, but he didn't understand. I will bring this to one of the other service writers, they love it when I come in with TSB in hand instad of them trying to search for it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
#04-08-45-005 No Start>ignition Switch Revised 03/15/06

Subject: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch) #04-08-45-005D - (03/15/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Saturn ION
Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

This bulletin is being revised to modify the Correction Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-45-005C (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that their vehicle will not start. This comment is referred to as "no crank, no start with complete power."

Additional customer comments may be as follows:

• A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.
• The "Security" light may flash immediately after trying to start the car along with the message "Service Vehicle" in the Driver Information Center.
• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and or B3033 may be set in history in the BCM.

Cause
When the key is rotated from RUN to START there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK resistor in the ignition switch. This voltage signal may have an early ignition switch bounce (when going from RUN to START) that the BCM interprets as a failure in the PASSLOCK system and disables the starting circuit.

Correction
Verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. If the switch HAS been replaced previously with P/N 10392423 - Replace the BCM.
After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Good News for 2004 Redlines (Now Official)

2.0L LSJ Engine SES Lamp Illuminated with DTC P0128 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature Set (Reprogram PCM) #05-06-04-038D - (04/13/2006)

Models: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

2004-2005 Saturn ION Red Line

with Supercharged 2.0L Four-Cylinder Engine (VIN P - RPO LSJ)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Subject: Water Leaks Into Front Driver and/or Passenger Foot Wells Near Front Speaker Grill Area After Sustained Heavy Rain (Seal Speaker Drip Cover to Speaker Frame)
TSB #03-08-44-012A Released 04/19/2006

Models: 2003-2006 Saturn ION

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being updated with additional model years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the front foot well carpet is wet after the vehicle is exposed to sustained heavy rain.

Cause
After sustained heavy rain, water may accumulate between the speaker frame and the speaker plastic drip cover. The accumulated water may wick through the lower speaker attachment bolt hole and run down the inner door panel and leak into the interior compartment under the doorsill trim plate.

Correction
Remove the drip cover from the speaker frame and apply KENT® HIGH TECH SEAM SEALER - CLEAR TRANSPARENT, or equivalent, to the back of the speaker frame where the drip cover contacts the speaker frame following the procedure

1 - 20 of 86 Posts