Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Subject: Engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated with DTC P0171, Fuel Trim System Lean, Set (Reprogram ECM) #06-06-04-033 - (06/21/2006)

Models:
2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt SS Supercharged
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2004-2005 Saturn ION Redline
2005-2006 Saturn ION
with Ecotec™ 2.0L or 2.2L I-4 Engine (VINs P, F - RPOs LSJ, L61)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customer may comment that the MIL/SES lamp is Illuminated. Further diagnostic investigation with a scan tool may reveal a DTC P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean. No other driveability or performance concerns may be reported.

Cause
The most likely cause of this issue may be that the engine calibrations need to be updated to correct a variation in the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Correction
DO NOT replace the MAF sensor, the ECM or any other parts.
Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this DTC P0171 concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in SI for reprogramming procedures. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version

Important:
• Chevrolet/Pontiac Dealers: The ECM calibration is available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 6.5, which was broadcast to dealers June 12, 2006 or later. For the dealerships that use CDs, they were mailed out June 2006 or later.

• Saturn Retailers: Before installing the new ECM calibration, make sure the Saturn Service Stall (SSS) version is TIS 6.5 2006 or later.

• While the ignition is OFF, apply the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights (DRLs) prior to starting reprogramming procedures

• The technician must select the "Reprogram" option in order to reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No campaigns or recalls but there are a few TSBs for some minor issues

These pertain to ALL IONS including 2007 models:
#05-08-57-003B Waterleak at Front Door Window Frame (Fill In/Refinish Step Area on Door Frame) - (Dec 15, 2006)

#06-08-67-020 Water Intrusion/Leak Into Passenger Compartment When Opening Sunroof (Install Drains) - (Dec 12, 2006)

#06-08-67-019 Headliner Wet at Center Map Light/Sunroof Switch Area (Adjust Sunroof and Apply Lube) - (Dec 5, 2006)

This one just 2006-7 ION (2007 Only for Redline w/o Recaro)
#06-09-41-008 Airbag Readiness Light ON with DTC B0081 or B0092 Set in Passenger Presence System (PPS) SDM (Remove PPS and Passenger Seat Cushion and Allow to Dry) - (Dec 21, 2006)

HTH
Wop

·
Registered
271 Posts
How do reflashes effect HPTuners? I am hoping to get HPTuners on my car very soon and am wondering how it works out if i take it in to the dealership for a reflash or other warrenty work. Will the reflash erase any changes made by HPTuners (fuel maps and rasied rev limiter)? Also, is the HPTuners detectable by the dealer?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Premature and/or Irregular Tire Wear (Set Front Sum Toe and Rotate Tires as Necessary) TSB#: 05-03-07-001
my second set is near wore out at 21k...

·
Registered
61 Posts
My new 07 has been doing the clunking sound while turning in one of the recalls. I wonder if mine would be on that as well??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey is there a TSB for the Dip Stick popping?? the car just started doing it recently. I have KN CAI Stage 2 2.5" with Stock Muffler. Or is there a way to fix this?

·
The Flintstone
815 Posts
Bumper scratches TSB# 05-08-62-001

Can you post the data for "Bumper scratches TSB# 05-08-62-001" please? I am having the trunk scratching paint on bumper problem on my 2007 Ion 3 and I am going to have the dealer fix it, just wanted to be prepared before I go in.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Subject: Intermittently Unable to Read Radio Display During Daylight Hours (Reprogram BCM) #05-08-44-037A - (06/15/2006)

Models: 2006 Saturn ION 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being updated with revised Correction and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-44-037 (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
Is there a TSB for the Radio not always getting power during start up??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Steering noise

WopOnTour said:
This bulletin has recently been released for the IONs and Cobalts and can be added to the main list

Clunk in Steering System at Slow Speeds While Turning and/or Driving Over Bumps (Replace Intermediate Shaft) #05-02-32-005B - (Oct 28, 2005)
Repair: replace steering intermediate shaft assem

WOT

Does this TSB include 2006 RL, I have heard this but Saturn say looks ok.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
ok i've never had a car repaired for a problem listed under a tsb, so this may be a stupid question. If i take the car in and have them fix some of the stuff mentioned in the tsb do I have to pay anything or is it covered?

·
The Flintstone
815 Posts
TWoods450 said:
ok i've never had a car repaired for a problem listed under a tsb, so this may be a stupid question. If i take the car in and have them fix some of the stuff mentioned in the tsb do I have to pay anything or is it covered?
Depends on if your car is under warranty still or not. You can't just take it in and say "This TSB is out there so can you fix it on my car?" Your car has to exhibit the problem. If it's under warranty and the problem you take it in for is under a TSB, it won't cost you anything and they will find the TSB themselves. Otherwise, you pay for it yourself; TSB is not a recall, so it's voluntary if you take your car in.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
FlintIonQC said:
Depends on if your car is under warranty still or not. You can't just take it in and say "This TSB is out there so can you fix it on my car?" Your car has to exhibit the problem. If it's under warranty and the problem you take it in for is under a TSB, it won't cost you anything and they will find the TSB themselves. Otherwise, you pay for it yourself; TSB is not a recall, so it's voluntary if you take your car in.
that makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
54yroldkid said:
Does this TSB include 2006 RL, I have heard this but Saturn say looks ok.
The TSB I may previously posted regarding the "intermediate steering shaft" (#05-02-32-005x) has been officially cancelled and replaced by:

Subject: Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns - Clunk, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration (Diagnosis and Perform Necessary Repair) #04-03-08-006B - (08/27/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007-2008 Pontiac G5
2003-2007 Saturn ION
In short, the new bulletin outlines various diagnostic and repair techniques for a 6 different potential steering and/or suspension conditions.(it includes color photos and stuff so it's difficult to post here) Providing your dealership uses it during the diagnostic phase, they should be able to rectify ANY of these types of issues you might have.

The intermediate shaft issue, is actually listed in the bulletin as "Condition #3" here is the actual text for "Condition #3" so you might be able to better determine if you actually have THIS particular issue (or at least better describe it in words THEY want to hear ;)
Condition #3
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition can also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Typically, the clunk noise will be heard once for every 90° of steering wheel rotation in either direction. This clunk noise may also be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

The following are characteristics of this noise:

• This noise is very random.

• This noise is independent of the steering wheel angle and independent of the bumpiness of the road.

• This noise is a low frequency dull one and can be felt in your feet.

• This noise can normally be heard from the driver seat.

• This noise can be felt upon touching the steering gear from outside of the vehicle.

Note that you might also notice a slight scrub-type noise when turning the wheel back and forth. This type of noise is considered normal and repairs will not eliminate it.

Cause #3
This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft.

Correction #3
Important: DO NOT replace the steering gear or steering column assembly.

Replace the intermediate shaft.

Important: If the vehicle has already had a steering intermediate shaft replaced for a similar noise concern that the dealer duplicated, determine from the customer if the noise went away for a period of time and came back, or if the service shaft made no change. If the noise was gone for a period of time and came back, have the dealer replace the shaft again to verify we do not have a defective service shaft.

If this does not eliminate the noise, continue to diagnose the vehicle according to the diagnostics in SI.
HTH
Wop

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
is there a TSB or recall (should be a safety recall) for the passenger seat belt not releasing? I can't remember how many friends have been stuck in that seat.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hey wopontour I have had this shaft changed once while still in warrenty. Now that I am out of warrenty will I have to pay for it again even though they had replaced it before?

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
For people showing p0442 and p0455 codes. Check your gas cap.

Subject: EI07238 - Fuel Cap May Not Seal, MIL/SES Light Illuminated with DTC P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected and/or P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected #07-06-04-022A - (10/03/2007)

Models: 2005 Buick Rainier
2005 Cadillac STS, XLR
2004 Chevrolet Express
2005 Chevrolet Corvette, TrailBlazer
2004 GMC Savana
2005 GMC Envoy
2004-2005 Pontiac GTO
2004 Saturn ION
2004-2005 Saturn VUE
with 2.2L, 3.5L, 4.2L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.7L or 6.0L Engine (VINs 4, A, F, G, S, U, V -- RPOs L61, L66, LH2, LL8, LR4, LS1, LS2)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in the published Service Information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL--refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering Information Bulletins.

This bulletin is being revised to remove the Canyon and Colorado Models from this Engineering Information Bulletin. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-022 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System)
Condition

Some customers may comment on a Service Engine Soon (SES) Light illuminated on the IP cluster and the fuel cap does not seal or tighten. Technicians may find DTC P0442 and/or P0455 set.
What Action to Take

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause for fuel caps not sealing and/or setting codes P0442 or P0455. GM Engineering has a need to obtain information first hand from the dealer technician during diagnosis and before repair. As a result, this information will be used by engineering to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix. Please follow the instructions below regarding the requested information.
Instructions

Important: If a vehicle is encountered with the above concern, complete the following steps; making sure all the information is documented on the Repair Order.

1. Verify that the VIN and mileage is accurate.
2. Accurately document the customers concern. If the SES light is illuminated, record the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) using a Tech 2®.
• If DTC P0442 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected is stored, proceed to diagnosis DTC P0442 in SI.
• If DTC P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected is stored, proceed to diagnosis DTC P0455 in SI.
• If diagnostics lead to repair other components not related to the fuel tank filler pipe neck or fuel cap, repair accordingly and disregard this bulletin.
3. If the diagnostics lead to a leak at the fuel tank filler pipe neck or the fuel cap area, inspect for the following conditions:
• Inspect the condition of the fuel cap by looking for small cracks or any damaged components.
• Inspect the fuel cap seal for distortion or cuts.
• Inspect the fuel filler neck sealing surface for gouges or dents produced accidentally by a fuel nozzle.
4. Contact the appropriate GM Engineer once the vehicle has been diagnosed and before repairing the vehicle for further instructions.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I did a search for the passlock problem ( keep getting shut out of starting your RL) I recall a TSB but after a half hour turned up no #
anyone know?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
637 Posts
kombi731 said:
I did a search for the passlock problem ( keep getting shut out of starting your RL) I recall a TSB but after a half hour turned up no #
anyone know?
thanks in advance

Subject: No Crank or No Start, DTC B2960 and/or B3033 Set (Replace Ignition Switch) #04-08-45-005D - (03/15/2006)

Models: 2003-2006 Saturn ION
Built Up To and Including VIN Breakpoint 6Z147837

This bulletin is being revised to modify the Correction Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-45-005C (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Condition

Some customers may comment that their vehicle will not start. This comment is referred to as "no crank, no start with complete power."

Additional customer comments may be as follows:
• A clicking noise may be noticed when the key is first turned to the START position, but no noise is heard after the initial start attempt.
• The "Security" light may flash immediately after trying to start the car along with the message "Service Vehicle" in the Driver Information Center.
• The vehicle may not start for at least 10 minutes after the first attempt to start the vehicle. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B2960 and or B3033 may be set in history in the BCM.
Cause

When the key is rotated from RUN to START there is a voltage signal sent to the BCM that goes through the PASSLOCK resistor in the ignition switch. This voltage signal may have an early ignition switch bounce (when going from RUN to START) that the BCM interprets as a failure in the PASSLOCK system and disables the starting circuit.
Correction

Using the chart below, verify that the ignition switch has been replaced at least once using P/N 10392423. After replacement of the ignition switch or replacement and reprogramming of the BCM, perform the 30-Minute Learn Procedure found in Programming Theft Deterrent System Components.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts