Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuned Header for the Ion Redline

Anyone interested?

This will be a true tuned equal-length ceramic coated header designed specificly for the Ion Redline (though I imagine it would fit the Cobalt SS as well). The builder has proven himself with a product for the old Quad 4 I race in other cars, the header he built for us on that motor made 20 WHEEL HP on a stock motor with no other mods, and is of excellent quality. I have him willing to design & build for these if there's a market. Preliminary specs indicate it will be a 2 stage stepped primary, 4 to 1 design, most likely with a 3" collector (leaves you room for a little extra boost). This will not be some shorty Pacesetter style design, we're talking a race quality tuned header.

The cost will be $490 plus shipping - $25 in the lower 48. No, that's not cheap, yes, that is a fair price for what we'd get. I need 5 committed preorders (no, I'm not asking you to trust me with your money yet, but you need to be serious) to get it going.

Now it has been brought to my attention that SCDyne makes a shorty, so feedback on that product would be valuable as well....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
K - now I've read around a bit, seems that there are a few headers out there. Anyone care to comment on their experiences and effectiveness, and what kind of gains are the makers claiming? Anyone backed them up yet?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
ide be interested if there are big gains (15 to 30 hp) and proof (video & dyno graphs) I need power to beat my friend he has WRX so get the building :D
But yes i am serious i would have bought the scdyne if he wasnt such a creep ;)

scdyne claims 230 whp after dyno here is graph

keep us posted big bro :)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
BigBrother said:
...The builder has proven himself with a product for the old Quad 4 I race in other cars, the header he built for us on that motor made 20 WHEEL HP on a stock motor with no other mods...
HOLY CRAP!!! 20 dyno proven hp gain on a fully stock motor?!?! That just means the oem version sucked ass. 1/4" primaries with 90° angles, right?

And this one had no mods, so the rest of the exhaust was oem?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i may be interested in that keep us posted !!! i have a lot of customers with redline i may buy a few of these from you if you can show me the dtno's and a possible mock up of what it will be. i will pm you. if you can really show these gains i may alone buy 5 from you let us know thanks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i would like to see a test done i have more than a few waiting for headers. i will not order the scydynes for my customers though in fear of making them wait for a extended period of time which i am against and will not do to them. even if he says he can get them to me asap i dont know. so even though i have 2 companies in the line-up for the redline this will be a ways out still not to long but still a wait. so this may be a good things for us here

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Would those be coated headers or just SS? Is there any sort of MIL eliminator yet for the IRL? I would get a nice set of race headers if they were coated and I had a way to trick the 02 sensor.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i would be interested, seriously, if they truly have stepped primaries and a 3" collector, and prove to make good power gains. even better if full race eliminating the cat

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow - the interest seems to be there, lol.

Yes, they'd be fully CC, that's in the 1st post.

We could include an O2 bung, but you'd be on your own for a bypass.

The dyno gains for the Quad4 HO were on a completely stock motor, with a CAI and the header with a racing bullet muffler right off the collector. Thing is - those motors LOSE power with an exhaust that open - we've seen it again and again. Chances are if he'd stuck a 2.5" system back from the header, the gains would've been BETTER.

You can see the thing at www.quad4forums.com - it's a long thread, but there are pics and dyno results in there. The guys on that board are serious builders, no bs'n over there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, for those of you who are following this thread and are interested, I am the guy who made the Quad 4 Headers over on Quad4Forums.com. I have my own performance shop and I have done a lot of performance work with the Quad 4 and the Twin Cam engine, including developed a stroker engine (which was almost done before me, just had to finish where the guys left off). I got a phone call this afternoon from BB telling me to come and read this. Well here I am, and here I read some interesting things.

First off our Quad 4 headers made 20 WHP (at the wheels, which means it made MORE at the crankshaft than just 20 HP) The down side is that I do not have any flow charts or flow ratings for the Ecotec and right now it is expensive to just go and gobble up 2 engines of each size just to play with. I'm interested in helping you all out. While I can make headers, I do not make a "shorty" style of header. Most people have the mind set of "Anything is better than stock" and that is not always true. Some of the shorty headers have actually been PROVEN to choke your low end performance more than help. The headers that I have produced are tuned to the Quad 4. I have been around the GM community since 1992 when I broke into my first Quad 4 in a new 1992 Grand Am GT (before I could drive). The only thing that will truely help your power throughout all of the power bands is a TUNED FULL LENGTH header, not a shorty.

Also, I know that I am the FNG around here but that dyno curve that you see posted on the first page in here? I'm going to call someone on it. I'm sorry but you do NOT see a dyno curve like that on a header. It looks like it was just over laid and the line moved up. I have my dyno plots from the headers that I made up and they do not look like that. That looks like a "forged" dyno plot to help make sales.

Let me know who is interested in getting a set of headers for the ION Redline. I'm willing to eat the development costs if I can get enough interest. Just drop me an email or BigBrother can get ahold of me since he knows my number.

- Josh

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I can assure you that almost everyone that frequents this board, would be interested. There's alot of talk about headers and supercharged engines, and most of us would like to take advantage of that...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
TheWhiteKnight said:
Also, I know that I am the FNG around here but that dyno curve that you see posted on the first page in here? I'm going to call someone on it. I'm sorry but you do NOT see a dyno curve like that on a header. It looks like it was just over laid and the line moved up. I have my dyno plots from the headers that I made up and they do not look like that. That looks like a "forged" dyno plot to help make sales.
Wow I just looked at the dyno graph after reading this and it does look almost exactly like the dyno was photoshopped and just moved up. Some spots are exactly the same curve, others are very very close but different. I'm sure the SCDyne header made power but with his rep it is curious.

Also I am extremely interested. This would eliminate the cat? I have my RL mod fund still stocked nicely and would definately consider your product.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Im trying to keep cat if possible? delaware inspections are assholes they also charge you a 2000 fine for no cat "killing atmosphere" and i am trying to get everything i need from you so can you make sure the sensors (if any) have spots to go like in the stock header? ;) No sure how the stocker is cuz i pay for everything to get put on anyway :(

thank you

all we need is dyno graphs and probably 50 people will buy one!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
very nice whiteknight, they are very clean, let me know if and when you decide on these and how much they will be i might pick up a few of these from you for the people at the shop that are looking, here in fl where we are no inspections yet so no cat is a good cat

1 - 20 of 80 Posts