Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm I'm just kind of wondering how badly I should be beating things like Turbo Diesel's and Grand prix GTP's and what not. Seems like the rest of you are blowing things away while i'm working to inch past these things. Are you guys exaggerating a bit or are you really spanking these people with your car? I didn't expect to only have 3/4 of a car length on a turbo diesel to 60mph. But maybe my expectations are a little far out. Who knows please advise :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Cynic said:
Hmm I'm just kind of wondering how badly I should be beating things like Turbo Diesel's and Grand prix GTP's and what not. Seems like the rest of you are blowing things away while i'm working to inch past these things. Are you guys exaggerating a bit or are you really spanking these people with your car? I didn't expect to only have 3/4 of a car length on a turbo diesel to 60mph. But maybe my expectations are a little far out. Who knows please advise :D
I only inched on a GTP... I wasnt expecting anything much out of my redline...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
On a newer GTP, I'd expect to pull a TAD, but not a lot; the older body style, I could put about a half car. As far as a turbo diesel, I raced my buddy's Dodge Ram 2500 5-speed with a cummins, and I simply annihilated him, the race was over by the time I was off the line. Our Redlines are fast, but not SUPER fast.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, what kinda turbo diesel are you talking about? A car or truck?

A turbo diesel truck can LAUNCH off the line at times, depending on how exactly they're set up. The torque on one of those things is amazing...

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
His diesel truck, he launches in 2nd gear, the top of 2nd is 20 mph, and he gets there about the time I'm getting good boost in 2nd gear, going probably 45 mph; it's got incredible torque but it's just too huge and has the wrong gearing for acceleration. It could probably accelerate just as fast hauling a lawn trailer, though; it's great for towing.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't get a good look at his truck cuz (luckily) he stayed behind me. All I know is that I heard something spooling under his hood. Didn't look like a lightning or an SRT-10 though as I would expect to be beat by those. I thought we should be able to annihilate the GTP but then I forgot they have a 6 cyl to our 4 which nullifies the weight difference. Thanks for the info.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, and those new GTPs are 270hp stock. You're running about even... trucks are another story... most can't even go over 100mph... if you're Redline topped at 100, could you imagine the accel?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think part of it was that I just finished the 24.99 intake mod lol and the computer had been acting crazy on me too. I noticed that when we met at the next light though the guy wouldn't even look at me heh. Hopefully I got the bugs out of Barry's intake mod. :: prays for no limp mode::

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
reset your battery next time your home!(then drive slow for 100 miles) youll see a nice performance boost, you will set the sensors up to the intake ;) and get rid of that boost mod! Saturn sees that :rolleyes: "shakes head" plus not beneficial unless you got bigger pulley like clownhair!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No boost mod or anything. Just cut a hole in the rubber piping and shoved the MAF sensor in there and added the big cone to the end. Sounds very nice. I threw a couple codes...101,103, 174 I think was the last one. MAF problems (surprise surprise) and running too rich. Cleared the code and readjusted the MAF sensor and now not having any problems.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yea, and those new GTPs are 270hp stock. You're running about even... trucks are another story... most can't even go over 100mph... if you're Redline topped at 100, could you imagine the accel?
You ought to come up here to Bandimere on Diesel Drag Days. Some of these trucks are amazing!! Beating the hell out of LS1 vettes, stock vipers, porshes, and all. Most trap at 125-130 in a truck, but they're reaching trap speed like 3/4 of the way down the track!! Diesels built right are nothing to laugh at. Granted most of the trucks have between 8-11k invested in making them faster, but anything that HAS to be 4X before they can get traction is somthing to look out for!! :)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I think I was sitting next to a 'drag dumptruck' the other day... was crazy painted and detailed, chrome everywhere... and had pretty bald tires for a HUGE truck like that... had some racing numbers on the side...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Don't underestimate turbo diesel trucks. There's a wide array of power tuners, chips, turbo uprages, etc. out there for them that release lots of power. With a few mods they can annihlate most street cars.

·
Registered
541 Posts
matt said:
Don't underestimate turbo diesel trucks. There's a wide array of power tuners, chips, turbo uprages, etc. out there for them that release lots of power. With a few mods they can annihlate most street cars.

Don't forget goodies like propane injection, nitrous, waste-gate actuators, etc...And on a side note: If anyone on this board has a 98 or older Ram with a Cummings, watch for surging or loss of power. I have recently seen the waste-gate on these things glowing red hot. Reason being was the vacuum actuator was not opening at the set psi and causing over loading on the turbos. These things run HOT!!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
My uncle had a Ram, just like you described, 2 years ago or so he had to have MAJOR work done to the engine. Something about recall/warranty, etc, etc... said he needed a whole new turbo system or something. He dosen't know anything about cars, so it was a vauge description at best. Sounds like what you're describing....

I used to watch him come out of the driveway and hit 60 like it was nothing. I pulled out behind him in my old SC2 and couldn't catch him at all up to 70...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sp00ner said:
My uncle had a Ram, just like you described, 2 years ago or so he had to have MAJOR work done to the engine. Something about recall/warranty, etc, etc... said he needed a whole new turbo system or something. He dosen't know anything about cars, so it was a vauge description at best. Sounds like what you're describing....

I used to watch him come out of the driveway and hit 60 like it was nothing. I pulled out behind him in my old SC2 and couldn't catch him at all up to 70...

Man I just need to be adopted by your bosses. I'd have the CTS-V w/ SC, a badass Dodge Cummins pulling 130 in the 1/4, and of course a bitchen RL. I do love the diesels the most though, after the RL

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
my buddy with his sub 10second 02 ta

has a 3 speed ratchet shifter (converted from his 6 speed)

anyway he tops out at like 120 but gets there fricken quick, his revs barely drop between shifts and thats even without his 100 shot. only prob is with the race tranny he lost his speedo and there is no getting it back, his daughter in her srt4 had to follow him one day and match his speed and see him approx top end.

crazy shit

keith-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts