1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
they've also got some pretty impressive numbers being made by some staged upgrades offered by some overseas company

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yes a turbo gets more power not from being turbo'd in gerneral like you think. A turbo car has no parasitic loss like that thing on the front of the motor. O yeah the supercharger. The supercharger needs power to make power. It takes 30hp spin it at full power and boost. you drop the supercharger and make 12psi with a turbo you would have 235hp. Ya Dig?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but you see engines with turbos running 50 more pounds of torque. the saab, my buddies 2.2 eco with 8 psi gets 240ish. they say for every 100 hp a FI makes a Supercharger eats up 10hp and a turbo takes 5hp

so for every 100 hp added a turbo with give you 5 more hp

·
Registered
487 Posts
postive displacement superchargers like Redlines have are notorious for LOW END TORQUE

Turbos make more power on top, depending on the size of the turbo

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
that's obviously simplifying things to a great extent, i'm sure there are countless variable to consider, i.e., type of turbo, type of s/c, etc.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
haunter said:
postive displacement superchargers like Redlines have are notorious for LOW END TORQUE

it's not a positive displacement blower, and suprisingly we build power all the way to redline with no end in sight, its just that it's easier to get a turbo spinning WAY faster up in the RPMs as opposed to a S/C which will only spin so fast at a certain RPMs.

if you wanted turbo, you should've got an SRT, but i'll be happy with my S/C, don't even think i want to twincharge anymore

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
also take in account for the engine size. a 2.2 is bigger so more cubes more torque as well as the 2.4 more cubes more torque. As well engine design, cams, and so much more goes into it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont want to own a dodge, and im sure with a turbo at 12psi i could smoke a srt-4 considering my buddies 2.2 eco cavy with 8psi ran a 13.75 at 104mph in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
416 Posts
haunter said:

The opposite is true for our redlines and srt-4s. Our cars are building power still at redline, whereas an SRT-4's power curve goes down well before the redline.

The peak torque for an srt-4 is like 2200 rpms. for us it is much higher.

With regards to the battle of hp v. torque, some would say that torque gets the car going, and hp keeps it there. An oversimplification, but hp is still just as good as torque, depending on the circumstances. For a drag racer you do want torque first, hp second.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and the cam shafts in our 2.0 are still for the turbo charger set up in the saab.

·
Registered
487 Posts
shaneathan said:
With regards to the battle of hp v. torque, some would say that torque gets the car going, and hp keeps it there. An oversimplification, but hp is still just as good as torque, depending on the circumstances. For a drag racer you do want torque first, hp second.

HP = Torque/5250 X RPM's

HP always comes second, as the torque has to be there to make it ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
shaneathan said:
For a drag racer you do want torque first, hp second.
Torque is what moves a drag car down the track, HP is a number that goes along for the ride.

Question for you. You have a 1968 Camaro with a 396/4speed/4.65 rear gear and M&H 13x30 drag slicks. Interior is gutted and the car and driver weigh about 3300 lbs. The engine has closed chamber oval port heads, torker manifold with a Holley 750 cfm double pumper, and a moderately high life hydraulic cam. The driver runs this car like everyone he has ever seen drive a Camaro on the street. Leave the line at 6500 and shift around 7000 RPM in each gear. The car sounds good and it produces time slips of 13.0X to 13.2X depending on the humidity of the day. He was most likely shifting on that cam's HP curve by the way it felt and sounded. The question: Was he driving the car correctly? ie: the proper shift points for that type of engine

Answer: No he was not driving the car correctly. An adjustment DOWN in the shift points to leaving at 6000, second gear @ 5000, third & fourth gears @ 5500 RPMs yielded ETs in the 12.70 range with a best of a low 12.60. The car was being driven in the peak of the torque band at the lower RPMs, not the higher Horsepower RPMs. Torque moved the car down the track better than HP. We did the same mindset on a 400 cu in small block and got similar results. This wasn't too surprising as the bore and stroke on the 2 engines were almost identical.

·
Registered
144 Posts
BlackLine said:
i dont want to own a dodge, and im sure with a turbo at 12psi i could smoke a srt-4 considering my buddies 2.2 eco cavy with 8psi ran a 13.75 at 104mph in the 1/4 mile.

stock for stock the srt would win in the scenerio obviously.

But turbocharging the cavy makes it a beast. But only drawback to it is longetivity and Higher compression. I have seen locals blow their cavys up on our dyno just cause they wanted just a bit more.....no matter how safe the tune is, if the motor is not made to handle it then it won't.

Forged internals with 9.0:1 Je pistons would help keep power up and yet be able to withstand the power levels. SRT-4 is a boost happy motor as it has a low 8.0:1 compression ratio.

Now the red line would be nice once Psi-Fi gets their gear out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts