Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've never really owned a car worth modifying performance wise (until now). I was just wondering if someone can give me some general info on the twin charger kit, what it is, how much do they usually run etc. And if it would work with the Psi-Fi kit. Thanks in advance.

Louballs

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the components in the PSI kit are going to be usable with the twincharger, at least if you get it from them. probably will cost the same as a normal turbo kit (hopefully 3-5000 depending on what's used, 5000 would probably have a bunch of extras involved.)

so buying the boost upgrade kit should cut down on future costs with the twincharge, (again if you go with them) since you're using some of the components they'll include already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's the general idea of the twin-charger kit.

Right now we have a supercharger. Great for getting boost right from the get go, but eventually as you go to higher and higher boost levels you have diminishing return. With a turbocharger, it's easy to get high boost at high RPM, but it takes a while for that boost to build (known as turbo lag). Well, if you have both a turbocharger and a supercharger, you can have some boost right when you hit the gas and until the turbo spools up, and after that, you can have a LOT of boost from the turbo. Essentially it is the best of both worlds.

That being said, i have a question for those that know more about the M62 than me. The M62 has a bypass valve that can open and let air into the intake without going through the supercharger, correct? Now, i'm assuming that the bypass valve is also used to keep the boost below 12psi? I'm guessing it works like a wastegate and actually recirculates the extra boost back into the intake pre-supercharger. If that is the case, then shouldn't the bypass valve start opening at 12 PSI, and, if the turbo is spooled, shouldn't that valve actually let more boost in, without going through the supercharger? If so, that valve is really awesome, as some people (i think) were talking about the air having to go through the supercharger even after the turbo was spooled. With the bypass valve (if it works like i think it does) it don't have to!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
[DeVo] said:
Here's the general idea of the twin-charger kit.

Right now we have a supercharger. Great for getting boost right from the get go, but eventually as you go to higher and higher boost levels you have diminishing return. With a turbocharger, it's easy to get high boost at high RPM, but it takes a while for that boost to build (known as turbo lag). Well, if you have both a turbocharger and a supercharger, you can have some boost right when you hit the gas and until the turbo spools up, and after that, you can have a LOT of boost from the turbo. Essentially it is the best of both worlds.

That being said, i have a question for those that know more about the M62 than me. The M62 has a bypass valve that can open and let air into the intake without going through the supercharger, correct? Now, i'm assuming that the bypass valve is also used to keep the boost below 12psi? I'm guessing it works like a wastegate and actually recirculates the extra boost back into the intake pre-supercharger. If that is the case, then shouldn't the bypass valve start opening at 12 PSI, and, if the turbo is spooled, shouldn't that valve actually let more boost in, without going through the supercharger? If so, that valve is really awesome, as some people (i think) were talking about the air having to go through the supercharger even after the turbo was spooled. With the bypass valve (if it works like i think it does) it don't have to!
it does still go through the s/c, as well as the bypass valve. the bypass valve is a means of letting more in though (which is good as boost levels rise, it'd be harder to shove the air through the s/c).

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
There's like 100 posts about it on here.. you'll have to search to get the most info. The way I understood it, is that the supercharger is simply moving the already compressed air from the turbo into the intake... it's moving the same volume of air, just compressed more...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool this helps me....anyone know when the release of this twincharge kit is said to be?? don't feel like searching

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
No idea, I don't think that they know... but unless someone here is doing it completely on thier own... It might be right around the corner...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
D3XXFR said:
theres a thread that the twin charge kit should be put on the PSI-FI shop car in about 2 weeks. :D :D :eek:
totally custom turbo shipped to us today we WILL have it on the car for mockup and prototyping this week :eek:

we will also be recieving a few pulleys this week as well and want to do a few of the local guys interested in our boost upgrade package to verify the tune etc. we are really sorry for the delay in release but we want to make sure everything is right.

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
totally custom turbo shipped to us today we WILL have it on the car for mockup and prototyping this week :eek:

we will also be recieving a few pulleys this week as well and want to do a few of the local guys interested in our boost upgrade package to verify the tune etc. we are really sorry for the delay in release but we want to make sure everything is right.

What size/trim is this turbo?

·
Registered
762 Posts

DANCING RIGHT NOW :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.