Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I grew up in a chevy house (father was an engineer at GM) and we've always bought GM untill recently, and this Ion Redline is the first GM car we've bought in 5 or 6 years. Recently we've bought a Hyundai, a Mitsubishi, and a VW.

Well, I hate to say it, but this car is a dissapointment. GM quality isn't there yet. My first problem was the fit and finish of the dash. Gaps are very uneven and the different pieces don't line up well at all. Now that we are 3 months and 5,000 miles into it, the little things are starting to get to me. The vinyl on the door is peeling off by the window, the panel with the power window switches keeps popping off, the plastic engine cover decided to fall off and disappeared somewhere along the way, and the reverse wired IC pump is just stupid. Now today we get in and the driver's side seat belt is locked up and refuses to come out. So the car is at the dealership, which happens to be out of rental cars, and we have to wait for a new seat belt to come in.

If percieved quality is everything, our Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and VW all blow this car away. I hate to say it growing up in a Chevy house, but this was me giving GM a second chance and so far it isn't doing well at all.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yikes man, that's too bad. Mine has held together great so far. The only thing that bothers me on a daily basis is the noises that the tranny makes when you're driving slow through a parking lot or something. My trim is all good, so far. I hope they get it taken care of for you. I hate to say it, but I knew going into this that I was going to be sort of a 'test mule' for this type of car. It's why I was going to wait for the Cobalt, but patience is not one of my stronger suits....

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i have had none of the problems you stated. only one trim issue was trim along the window was popped out a bit. shoved it back in, and no problems. and i'm a far cry from someone who babies their car....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
how old is it remember saturn takes them back within 30 days an will give you a new one!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
sorry i reread the first post i saw the 3 months now.... i would see about talking to the dealer if they woln't do anything for you call gm and saturn headquarters and complain all the time every day if you have to they usually will do something for you.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Man make that son of a bitch sit in their repair bay. Make a nucience of it. Everytime anything happens like a noise of any sort drop it off.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
goofyguy said:
Man make that son of a bitch sit in their repair bay. Make a nucience of it. Everytime anything happens like a noise of any sort drop it off.
That's easier said than done, who has the time to sit at a stealership all the time or be without a car while they look at it

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
true, but it's the only way to get things done if they don't work with you on their own...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we need the car. This has been my experience with every GM car our family has owned. Engine/transmisison wise, they've all been great, but the little things like panels falling off and buttons breaking or not working anymore, cheap plastics ect. just made them feel like crap. I sold my old integra and at 160,000 miles, every button, handle, switch still worked great and all the interioir pieces were still solid as the day it was built. My evo, with its admitadly ugly interior, has held up great over the last two years. Even my mother's Hyundai, three years old, is as tight as the day it was built.

I have all the faith in the world that in 5 years the Ion RL will still run like a champ, but I've come to expect that as a GM, all the interior doodads will start falling apart (ie panels coming loose, shifters falling off)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I agree with SLT, the interior to our cars is not good at all by any standards.

My interior is all wack too.

Panels popping off, shift knob popping off (recently fixed after 3 tries), the lines are not flush at all.

Hey SLT, keep me updated on the seat belt thing. Mine does the same exact thing but on the passenger side. My girlfriend hates it. I want to bring it in but only if they have a solution. Sometimes it will lock for 2-3 minutes straight and wont let go.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have a lot a creeks and squeks in mine and it makes a wierd noise under the hood now every once and awhile.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i have no problem as i said except for the trunk scratching the crap out of the bumper, im supposed to go in soon to see what they are going to do about it. i know they will install the bumper things but what to do about my bumper they said they would try to "buff" them out and them touch them up i said yeah right you will be painting it if you cant get them out. there will be no touch up paint here not on a month old car!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
But you must take in account. We have the cheapest car saturn produces. Its a Ion by birth right. Like the srt-4 big engine shitty car. Hell the srt doesnt have power windows in the back.

I dont remember the Evo much I drove 1 once and from there I was dreaming. But the Evo has it roots too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
max_boost said:
That's easier said than done, who has the time to sit at a stealership all the time or be without a car while they look at it

I have that kind of time. lol Come to think of it I may do that today. I am posting at 430 in the AM. Only cause I haven't gone to bed.

I ussually sit and wait for my car. They tend to want you the hell out of there. Especially when you keep asking if they are done yet. Become a nuisence and they will fix everything just to get rid of you. On the other hand. I have had very few problems and when I bring my car in it is fixed, fixed right, and with a smile. But that is just me.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
dipolley said:
I have that kind of time. lol Come to think of it I may do that today. I am posting at 430 in the AM. Only cause I haven't gone to bed.

I ussually sit and wait for my car. They tend to want you the hell out of there. Especially when you keep asking if they are done yet. Become a nuisence and they will fix everything just to get rid of you. On the other hand. I have had very few problems and when I bring my car in it is fixed, fixed right, and with a smile. But that is just me.
I'm on my way up there right now. I hope Lakeside has internet access like Ann Arbor does.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dL_RL said:
Hey SLT, keep me updated on the seat belt thing. Mine does the same exact thing but on the passenger side. My girlfriend hates it. I want to bring it in but only if they have a solution. Sometimes it will lock for 2-3 minutes straight and wont let go.
Yep, same thing. It was locked up for the 45 minute drive to work and then to the dealership. It even stayed locked up so the person checking us in could see it was locked up. But then it unlocked itself by the time a saturn tech could take a look at it so they couldn't find anything wrong. I'll take it in again next week and make them replace it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just remember i drive an gm econo car. Yes, it should still not squeak and such. But minor visual flaws are going to come in any cheaper car. But the problems you are having are bs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts