Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Vita. I'm one of the many guys that have expressed intrest, great intrest in fact, in the proposed CAI for the redline. The problem is that several guys, besides myself have asked about the water issue. Someone mentioned using a "filter wrap", but would'nt that also cut down on air flow?? If ya got any insight into this please let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
i would also like to know what filter you plan on using...

and and cyrix i notice your from the dayton area, i live in Brookville, do you happen to drive a blue redline, i saw one the other day. but its cool now we both have someone to compete against at the track ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Dayton here too! That's 2 Blacks and 2 Silvers I know of.

Cyrix(Seth)-Silver
Josh-Silver
Aeain(Andrew)-Black
BlackLine(Brad)-Black

Edit: Mbhmustang is from the Dayton area and is getting a Red Line sometime. I believe he is getting a blue one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
then we need to find somebody to buy a red one..... cool cool looks like lots of competition

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys worried about water getting sucked into the intake? Thousands of w-body guys like myself have a FWI(fender well intake) on our Regals,GTPs,SSEI's and none of us have ever got hydrolocked! If you make sure your K&N is oiled properly then you will not have any problems. Going through a mud puddle or sluch in the winter will do nothing. I have seen test that your intake actually has to be almost completely submerged to hydrolock your engine. If a drop or two of water actually does get into your intake its not gonna matter because by the time it gets into the cylinder with the air its gonna already be evaporated. So go ahead and make a FWI and show off the new sound of your blower. You'll like it! ;)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the thing is, with ANY cold air intake, you risk hydrolock, you just have to be more carefull. we're going to have a short ram intake, and offer an upgrade to the cold air, that way you can just run the short ram at times when you don't want the risk of a cold air, but from what i've read, if you worry about water that much, you shouldn't ever get a cold air, you need to be carefull not to drive through massive puddles that will submerge the filter. the filter wrap is made by K&N i believe, and have heard great things about it.

the filter i want to use is one of the "x-treme" K&N filters, i'm still working on a price, although i can get them significantly cheaper than list price, once i make an order, we can bargain it down a little more than what i've already been quoted

·
Registered
291 Posts
You have to completly submerge the filter head to hydrolock your car, i used to have a honda del sol with a cold air and used to forget i had it and accidently ran through some nice puddle too the point were my filter head would be soaked

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had a full fenderwell CAI on my ZX3. The filter actually hung below the body, and I never had any problems.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
there you go, also i had a tiburon GT with a CAI, and it was as low as it could be, no problems, ever, not even accidentally going through some deep puddles

·
Registered
767 Posts
Vita said:
there you go, also i had a tiburon GT with a CAI, and it was as low as it could be, no problems, ever, not even accidentally going through some deep puddles
Exactly. As long as you arnt at full throttle all the time when there are small bodies of water, you will be fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks a lot for the input, guys...guess I'll shut-up now. ;) By the way Aeain, any get-togethers coming up??

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
cyrix said:
Well, thanks a lot for the input, guys...guess I'll shut-up now. ;) By the way Aeain, any get-togethers coming up??

Nah, the weather is holding us back. As soon as it gets nice I'll post on here when the first SRD Cruise in starts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts