Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Unknown sound

1K views 20 replies 2 participants last post by  Aapoo 
#1 ·
The only thing that's happened recently is that I had a good size nail in my tire and I plugged it. I can't say that this happened immediately after but I have a sound that I can't locate it's not coming from the engine because it depends on the speed but it sounds like there's a motorcycle running somewhere around me and not a Harley more like a deeper motor than a crotch rocket it kicks off at about 30 or 40miles an hour. In the pits just changes the faster I go I think the piece of plug that stuck out as long since worn away no other symptoms that I can tell

#6 ·
Probably the best first step. Then both sides.
If you have a helper it may make it easier. But moving both wheels to check the steering rack as well.

Have you done axles recently?

#7 ·
Thank you for responding but no I did do a intermediate CV shaft bracket bearing though... On another note my engine's stuttering again on acceleration I replace my spark plugs and it helps but not for very long maybe a week. But I did notice that I'm not hearing my supercharger anymore.... I'm wondering if this is the cause. The only thing I've done with that is add some coolant still not sure how much the ad is it seems to disappear or something but there's no puddle on the ground

#11 ·
Not super common. But not unheard of. They usually make a ticking noise of some sort when the needle bearing fails. Could also be the coating is gone on the rotors and npt compressing air as efficiently. I take it no codes?

#14 ·
Manually checked the injectors this weekend, spray pattern and everything looks good. Pulled the iridium plugs, some of them had a grayish residue on them as apposed to black. Not sure if that's anything significant. Seen a post on here about a guy who had similar issues and his finding was a cam position sensor. Replaced it and ßymptoms subsided. Have to check codes again to see if I have that code or what. Engine light goes on but doesn't stay on all the time. Fuel filter and lines are replaced when I bought the car.

#17 ·
Brief rundown, you have to set cylinder 4 on tdc compression stroke if I remember correctly. And theres markings on the sensor housing that need to line up with the sensor. Can check the wiring as well

#21 ·
Ok Mo, had codes read again, as the light popped up for me. Whether they are related or not is for someone else to decide but they are p0304 which is cylinder 4 misfire and p0326 knock sensor 1 circuit range / performance (Bank 1). Gonna get cracking and try to makes sense of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.