Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some 3" mandrel bent pipe cut it close to where i need it and did a little test fitting today. Later this week I'll have to get the Air Box out to do the rest of the test fitting. Im doing it the right way im not hacking up the air box. I'll be one of the few to take off the radiator hose to pull it out.

If i don't go to the track this friday Ill start to do more work with it. I know I said i was going to do a short ram with leaving the box in but then when i looked at it there would be a gain just not as great of one, So i am just going to make a full CAI.

Oh yea btw does anyone know why my Check Engine light came on all i did was take out the tube in the fender and the one that attaches to the box. Then i drove around for 20min it was fine, went to take my fiance home 2min away and the check engine light came on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My airbox is already gone, cut into 3-4 pieces, so I'll have to figure something else out.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
korax123 said:
Got some 3" mandrel bent pipe cut it close to where i need it and did a little test fitting today. Later this week I'll have to get the Air Box out to do the rest of the test fitting. Im doing it the right way im not hacking up the air box. I'll be one of the few to take off the radiator hose to pull it out.

If i don't go to the track this friday Ill start to do more work with it. I know I said i was going to do a short ram with leaving the box in but then when i looked at it there would be a gain just not as great of one, So i am just going to make a full CAI.

Oh yea btw does anyone know why my Check Engine light came on all i did was take out the tube in the fender and the one that attaches to the box. Then i drove around for 20min it was fine, went to take my fiance home 2min away and the check engine light came on.
For what it is worth here. SFPH will be carrying the New K&N FIPK Intake System for the Redline's shortly. check out the picture attached, as simple installation instructions will come with each kit:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what its worth that kit has way to many bends in it you see where it starts bends roughly 80 degrees down cause the TB is angled. Goes down about 6 or so inch's and does a 90 degree bend into your fender thats where my CAI is gooing to stop. The K&N bends all the way around the Winshield Fluid Resivior I think that may be a little un-necessary.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you do have to understand that they put R&D into making it, they didn't just throw some tube on the car and toss a filter on and call it a day

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Man, I just had the stock box cut out, and an AEM intake from a WRX put on-works like a charm too. Intake was only $159.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Tek said:
Judging by the looks of it, id say that was questionable.
Too bad you can't judge it based on looks alone...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed K&N CAI Saturday.Kit puts air filter at the same position as the OEM air tube inlet.Presumabily to lessen the risk of water induction. Supercharger whine is impressive above 4000 rpm, also doesn't seem to hit the rev-limiter as hard.
Would like to figure out how the Oak Leaf got into the airbox though.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G4Redline said:
Presumabily to lessen the risk of water induction.
It's a crappy drawing but thats where the Filter will go, from that opening into the Fender right next to the Wiper fluid bottle. There is very very very little risk of water induction. And to make a ram air setup the filter would be completly exposed.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
korax123 said:
For what its worth that kit has way to many bends in it you see where it starts bends roughly 80 degrees down cause the TB is angled. Goes down about 6 or so inch's and does a 90 degree bend into your fender thats where my CAI is gooing to stop. The K&N bends all the way around the Winshield Fluid Resivior I think that may be a little un-necessary.
I must agree, bends cause air to just circle itself, vortex I think it's called. Therefore, you just lose flow and in this case you want the air to get to the SC as fast as possible with least heat transfer.

On the note of creating a custom intake what about just adding something like this to the air box and a K&N filter.

maybe even a gate for those rainy days

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
IeatRice said:
Man, I just had the stock box cut out, and an AEM intake from a WRX put on-works like a charm too. Intake was only $159.

What did you do about the MAF???

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For my intake we are going to fabricate a new mounting bracket thats the hardest part about the whole thing. And finding the stupid silicone boot..but i did and the place wants like $15 for it. Also My intake is going to be 1 piece as long as it can go in as 1 piece. We will test fit it clamped together first and see if it will slide down as 1 whole tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts