Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Actually it is done but I'll mention the one problem I'm having at the end...

Had to relocate the cruise control bracket slightly for added length for the cable, for the new throttle body position.

The inlet pressure sensor location on the ion is a perfect spot for your stock GM Map sensor. Even the bracket to hold the sensor fits on the map sensor, although you do have to extend the wiring.

And yes the hood closes

Now onto the current problem. I had the car running and all was well. I had not driven it but it idled and ran smoothly, all was well. While I was adding coolant I had the car running for about 10 mins trying to get it to circulate. I started hearing a ticking noise which happened to be one of the ribs on the drive belt comming loose. Well I did notice some small damage to the belt before putting it on. I let it run to see how badly it would affect the belt and it shredded itself all at once.

The cause/problem is that everything on the Ion enging uses a 5 rib pulley. I used all the parts I could including the ion alternator. So my A/C compressor and Crank pulley are 4 rib belts, so they are cutting the belt. I would assume that the GM S/C kit belt is a 4 rib version of this belt but I doubt I can order it. Autozone and murrays cannot get these belts either because it is a dual sided belt.

So I either have to use the crank pulley off the redline (no big deal) but also manage to change a/c compressor or just use the clutch/puelly off the redline engine or find a 4 rib belt. I don't have the A/C pump so I'd rather get the 4 rib belt.

In any event that's the only thing holding me up....

Things left to install are:

Later once it's up and running I'll make it intercooled... water pump has been ordered (one on the engine I bought was damamged).

·
Registered
366 Posts
damn, very nice. i can't wait to see hp/tq numbers

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Wow, thats even more of a sleeper than us. Sort of. I mean there are turbo cavis out there, but I've never seen a blown 2.2 cavi. It'd be a fun race thats for sure, come on man get that thing running and waste some people...lol.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
very nice. how long did it take you to do? Does the cavalier have a drive by wire throttle body as well? I don't see a wire going to it. Did you use the Redline fuel injectors?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
That, is awesome. Good looking job man, good luck on gettin it up and running. Keep us posted. We always like to see what our blowers can do, apparently wherever (or whatever) they're doing it in. Keep up the good work bro. :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Super-sleeper action, and that supercharger just tucks RIGHT in the engine bay of your Cavi. Very nice, can't wait to hear what kind of numbers it puts out once you get everything set up. Awesome! Thumbs up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clownhair,

I made an adapter plate for the throttle body, mine is cable unlike yours.

The adapter plate was the hardest part.... Aside from that it's all the little things. Re-routing of coolant lines, getting all the right bolts. Etc etc..

I don't have the injectors installed from the redline engine but I intend upon using them. I will install them once I'm ready for the emange so it can compensate fuel. Mine are 248 cc and I think yours are 370 or so.

I'll keep you guys updated. I did take other pics of things as requested but I don't have time to post them right now.

Not sure what to do about the belt just yet, it's frustrating that it's all that's stopping me.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
airtonics said:
Clownhair,

I made an adapter plate for the throttle body, mine is cable unlike yours.

The adapter plate was the hardest part.... Aside from that it's all the little things. Re-routing of coolant lines, getting all the right bolts. Etc etc..

I don't have the injectors installed from the redline engine but I intend upon using them. I will install them once I'm ready for the emange so it can compensate fuel. Mine are 248 cc and I think yours are 370 or so.

I'll keep you guys updated. I did take other pics of things as requested but I don't have time to post them right now.

Not sure what to do about the belt just yet, it's frustrating that it's all that's stopping me.
The belt problem sucks. It seems everything on these cars is slightly overcomplicated. Your not going to run the car with the 248cc injectors are you? They are almost definately maxed out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have seen/raced a 2.4 cavy w/the GM blower. Same #'s and everything we were side by side untill 4th gear as i pulled ever so slowly. Real fast car i might add he works at my mall. I guess the top end isnt so great but it sur as heel freaked me out seeing this cavy next to me. We pulled over and i was gunna start looking for spray . He poped the hood and i see my S/c under his hood. It was sweet. We gave each other props and headed our sep ways.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I think SFPH offers a 4 groove pully in their pully system
You might want to PM user SFPH and ask
Great Job BTW
WopOnTour

PS> For the time it would take, I would swap the injectors ASAP
Better rich than lean
WOT

PS> I wonder if you could convince your local GM dealer to program it with the "kit" calibration?? All they need to do is call TCSC and ask for the VCI number, it's supposed to make the stock box good with the boost (and masks off various DTCs that might set otherwise) Worth a Shot IMO
If you get no satisfaction, PM me - I can help :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts