Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am eventually planning on a few upgrades and was wondering what order they should be done in? This is a plan for about a 1 to 2 years worth of time. The car is completely stock.

-Full Exhaust
-Stage III Kit - Cobalt & Ion ---> ZZ Performance
-Supercharger upgrade - Cobalt & Ion ---> ZZ Performance
-Methanol Injection Kit (????Should i go for AEM or Snow????)

What other mods should i be doing? and whats is the approx cost?

Thanks in advance,
Tomb

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
To get into the bigger power range, upgrade blower to the TVS. More supporting upgrades are needed, but this is unfamiliar territory for me so I won't elaborate.

For a fun power range, smaller blower pulley, larger fuel injectors, and a retune. (Same thing as the stage kits, but cheaper and you can customize the computer tune) I would also get an intake to increase the sound of the blower. It's a total turn on. :) BKR7E spark plugs. These are the plugs that a bunch of us on here are running. Around $8 at advance IIRC.

Next upgrades I would do would be full header back exhaust. I recommend 2.5" all the way. No need to go 3" IMO unless you are running a turbo.

Final bolt-ons I would do are all cooling. GM Dual pass intercooler endplate. GM Option B cooling setup with 2nd resovoir on the passenger side that replaces the small skinny tall resovoir in the front by the throttle body. A second aftercooler to create a two pass heat exchanger. The cheapest route is picking up a stock new or used heat exchanger from one of the Mustang Cobra or Lightning guys.

You should be in the 250-280 hp power range will full bolt-ons, depending on the tune. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO it sounds like the best plan is to do the Methanol Kit (to gain the extra octane levels, b/c they only have 91 here) at the same time as the Stage 3 Kit and go for the smallest pully available. It looks like the Stage 3 kit listed also has the upgraded heat exchanger. Then once these are done to do the full exhast from header to the back.

Now as i under stand it the Methanol Kit when it sprays the water/methanol mixture it causes the air to cool rapidly, so is the intake even needed?, aside for the sweet sound it will produce?

Also a few more questions, are upgraded Tranny and Motor mounts a good idea? (Will they decrease or even eliminate the skipping i experience at take off?) What exactly do the upgraded spark plugs do for the car? Will the new upgraded pully from the Stage 3 kit work on the new supercharger once i do that upgrade?

Also what are these "GM Dual pass intercooler endplate. GM Option B cooling setup with 2nd resovoir on the passenger side that replaces the small skinny tall resovoir in the front by the throttle body". Is that basicly a new resovior for the S3 Heat Exchanger? I believe you are talking about these 3 items:

Cobalt & Ion ---> ZZ Performance

To get into the bigger power range, upgrade blower to the TVS. More supporting upgrades are needed, but this is unfamiliar territory for me so I won't elaborate.

For a fun power range, smaller blower pulley, larger fuel injectors, and a retune. (Same thing as the stage kits, but cheaper and you can customize the computer tune) I would also get an intake to increase the sound of the blower. It's a total turn on. :) BKR7E spark plugs. These are the plugs that a bunch of us on here are running. Around $8 at advance IIRC.

Next upgrades I would do would be full header back exhaust. I recommend 2.5" all the way. No need to go 3" IMO unless you are running a turbo.

Final bolt-ons I would do are all cooling. GM Dual pass intercooler endplate. GM Option B cooling setup with 2nd resovoir on the passenger side that replaces the small skinny tall resovoir in the front by the throttle body. A second aftercooler to create a two pass heat exchanger. The cheapest route is picking up a stock new or used heat exchanger from one of the Mustang Cobra or Lightning guys.

You should be in the 250-280 hp power range will full bolt-ons, depending on the tune. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

·
I'm bi-winning
900 Posts
Start with rotated mounts and cooling mods so you dont break/blow before you get to have fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotated Mounts? Thats the Transaxle, and motor mounts? So do those, then do the Methanol Injection with the Stage 3 kit (has the pullys, the injectors, the computer, the S3 Heat Exchanger) and make sure i install the kit with the new resovior mentioned in the previous post.....

Start with rotated mounts and cooling mods so you dont break/blow before you get to have fun.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Rotated Mounts? Thats the Transaxle, and motor mounts? So do those, then do the Methanol Injection with the Stage 3 kit (has the pullys, the injectors, the computer, the S3 Heat Exchanger) and make sure i install the kit with the new resovior mentioned in the previous post.....
look get the stage 3 kit from zzp also order there option b tank and step 2 colder plugs, go to o t t p.com and get there rotated tranny mount, then do full exhaust, gm dual pass and meth. if u decided when u buy the stage 3 to go with anything smaller then a 2.8 pulley buy the meth when u get the stage 3. with this setup u will be in a nice 260-280whp with a custom tune, the zzp canned tune would get u around 240-260whp depending on when u get the exhaust. oooo almost forgot dont forget getting a wideband u will need it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i would do as they say and get the rotated mounts from o t t p or get the stop mounts from turbo tech racing those are the ones im ordering

1 - 8 of 8 Posts