Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking into upgrading the factory speakers. for now i am sticking with the stock head unit. these are the speakers i'm looking at for the front, pioneer ts a1681r 6 1/2 and polk audio db 650 also 6 1/2. for the back speakers i'm looking at alpine sps 170a 6 1/2. any info on these speakers or any input would be great
thanks

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Polk is better for sound they the ones Im going with too ;)
not sure which ones thoe :confused:

here is two types, the cheaper ones seem to be better 92 db for bass not vocals thoe, so if you want volcals get polk/momo's :cool:

these are the 199.00 ones
2-way crossover network (4,000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
tweeter protection circuitry
frequency response 40-23,000 Hz
recommended power range 10-100 watts RMS
peak power handling 300 watts
sensitivity 92 dB

and the 269.99 normally 299.99
frequency response 43-25,000 Hz
power range 10-125 watts RMS
peak power handling 250 watts
sensitivity 90 dB

gl and tell me how is goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
out of the two i would go for the momos, i am not a huge polk fan sorry to say. i use image dynamcis myself and oz audio in my wifes car, she listens to more hip hop and rap i listem to mostly metal and blues things like that, the oz's seem to like the lower end of stuff i can hardly ever make them break up, and i have 300watts rms on each side. i know you may think this is a joke , but theres a speaker set by a company called powerbass (very well known for their huge subs) they have a component set called evolution the es6cv.2 and they are just over 100$ usually online and they sound awsome!!! i was very skeptical when the rep brought them into us to listem to in his car i was blown away that a speaker that cheap sounded that good, not they are not your 600-1000$ top line speakers but ill say they could go head to head with most any brand in the 300-400 price range i was amazed!!, another great speaker is the cdt's on zeb.com they have the 6.5's ef-61's on sale for 199 these are normally over 350 for the set they sound really awsome also

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
heres a pic of the powerbass's they dont look as nice as the momo's but they sure sound it!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
o shit man i know that company there subs are louder then JL's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking hard for a while then grabbaed my local magazine ( street trenz )
they sell em in there great everything :D

Im going to look into them thanks Zfactor

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
thing i like is you cant beat the shit out of em and they just keep going and going, out of the many many set we have installed we have seen only two mids come back blown and no tweeters, thats a better track record than even some of the bigger companies!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
were can i find these power bass speakers :( i did searching aka as Ebay cant find em, but i know for a fact they good, i just need specs any sites you know of zfactor?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
hmm ill have to check to see who the dealers are where are you located?? you should be able to check on the website powerbass.com and see, ill see if i can find them im out of 6.5's right now in the components, ill have more soon but sometimes powerbass gets backordered on them thats the only bad thing about them so far but that doesnt affect the sound of them. you say you searched online not just ebay??? let me see if i can find out.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
if you google for the powerbass evolution there are many dealers. if they dont list the components call them they should have them. the evolution series as i was told by powerbass is an exclusive line for each territory. so you only have a few dealers in a set area. call them up if they have the subs they should have these. i can call tomm to see when i will have more in stock, i ordered more last thursday and they are in cali so im not sure how fast they will get here. i will check; if you cant find em let me know. i could sell then for 129$ plus shipping for the whole set. they have coaxials also if you need for the rear.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
If your going to use the stock headunit to power the units get something with a high Sensitivity so it can use as much power as possible. If you get a heavy driver with low Sensitivity it will sound low all the time unless you drop in a amp. Mostly high end sets will have a low unfortunatly.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
these sound ok off a aftermarket head. they could definatly use an amp and i would as goofy said not advise running them with the stock deck. they do play pretty decent of a good head like alpine or clarion. not to their full potebtial but good.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I run a sony headunit to a sony 2 channel amp to run the door speakers. No rears.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i use a clarion flip out tv/dvd with image dynamics chameleons components in the front and the image coaxials in the rear of a zapco amp running 2 ohms per channel (4 channel), the image's can be bought either 2 or 4 ohm. so these get about 300 watts each channel of the car. 1 oz audio 12" with zapco on it at about 2000watts. image dynamics 30 band eq's one for each front channel. i love it sounds great

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. You ever compete with it or just a hobby? I can usually bang out a decent 540+ on sq and a 143 spl. Not bad but I need more. The biggest problem Im running into is the stock door location has no imaging at all.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
yeo mine are going in the kicks ( fiberglass ) as soon as i have time. i used to compete for team florida in db drag i dont have time really anymore. i do 155.4 spl wise with the 12" haven't broke out the rta yet to check the sq setup right now all by ear. also making a center channel in the dash as well. i am a master certified mecp tech. i have done car audio for almost 14 years

have you tried bring the tweeters up a little higher in the doors or try a dash location it should bring the soundstage up some. also try wiring the tweeters out of phase this gives them a slight delay over the mids and opens things up sometimes works real well. if nothing else since we have the center mounted gauges why not relocate the nid and tweets to the flat spots on top of the dash. you can make a slight (very slight since they are up so high at that point) angle and aim them foward just a bit this would sound awsome. im doing three ways soon in the front the 5.25 will go in the kicks the 4" and tweeter will be up at the top like i said

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I dropped the tweeters firing into the windshiled about 7 inches up to bring up the stage some. But the woofers are just faced so poorly. I love the SQ world driving around with the greatest sound possible. I like to hear what the artist intended. I have self taught on most of what I know. But my S-10 won tons of crap so Im pretty confident in what I know. Master MECP nice and 14 years is a long time to install. Im sure you have seen all kinds of crap.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
it sounds possible my JL speakers are too good for my stock headunit and arent hitting to there max potental.

keith-

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
goofyguy said:
I dropped the tweeters firing into the windshiled about 7 inches up to bring up the stage some. But the woofers are just faced so poorly. I love the SQ world driving around with the greatest sound possible. I like to hear what the artist intended. I have self taught on most of what I know. But my S-10 won tons of crap so Im pretty confident in what I know. Master MECP nice and 14 years is a long time to install. Im sure you have seen all kinds of crap.
you have no idea of some of the stuff i have seen (sarcasticly) you would not believe what some do to thier cars and what some think sounds good.

when i get around to it ill be 'glassin the trunk for 2 12" id max's just may take me a while with everything else to do and everyone esles car to work on
i actually like the dash idea i think i will try that this week to see how it sounds, not permanent yet but just to get an idea. i have been in this for almost to long. i just got done handmaking voight pipes for someone's living room of of 1" apple ply. using focal , dynaudio, and audax in them with a 24 db slope hand made x-over, so you can see im always busy

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
no kidding man. O well Id love to see what happens in the trunk when your done..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts