Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if you didn't see the 'Vette thread in the General forums, maybe you'll see this one. Long story short, my dad brought home a captured fleet 2006 Corvette, and I was asked to write down my thoughts on it after I drove it. Here they are:

OK guys, I well, I just got back from my drive in the 'Vette, with several things to report!

First of all, I was wrong, it wasn't a Z06, I couldn't tell in the dark, HOWEVER, it was an impressive show. Also, I was unable to get pictures; it's a pre-production model with options that even the media doesn't know about, so I was told explicitly by my father that I couldn't take photos.

As for what the car was, it was a 2006 coupe, and it had a few new things; the first was the XLR-borrowed lack of door handles & keyless ignition system, which was pretty cool. It had navigation, the Z51 suspension (magnetic shocks), upgraded brakes w/ drilled rotors, and a few other options.

The "Top Secret" part, which I PROBABLY shouldn't be writing about here, was the transmission. It was a 6-speed automatic with the paddle shifters, a la Ferrari. Oh yeah. The transmission was strong, and INCREDIBLY smooth - even at WOT, shifts were nearly imperceptible and it just kept going and going. The numbers on the heads-up display seemed like they were having a hard time keeping up with the acceleration numbers that this thing put down.

It was way too fast, even with just (I say JUST like it's not impressive) 6.0L LS-2. I definitely kicked the rear end out coming onto the freeway, hit about 110 before my dad made me shut it down. In manual shift mode, which I tested out on the windy road home, it was a whole lot of fun to just click down 2 gears and wail up an S-curve. The lack of a clutch was a little unnerving while selecting my own gears, but it definitely felt like I was in a damn race car, and it was lightning quick and also smooth. I felt like I was playing Michael Schumacher.

It handled flat, and smooth, and soaked up Michigan road bumps like a Caddy. Turns I would have taken at 50 and been a little concerned about in the Redline were good for 60 in the Corvette, and I didn't even feel like I was at the limit.

The brakes were good, but I didn't dig into them too hard for the sake of my dad's heart; the forays into the acceleration & handling were coronary-inducing enough.

The cockpit was EXTREMELY nice; all of the bits felt really good in your hands, from the short shifter to the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The seats held you in during the fun maneuvers, and still felt like they'd be comfy for a long haul. A few too many buttons for me though, and I'd probably have to own the car for a while before I'd figure out what they'd all do. The best part was the view from the cockpit; the fenders and hood are clearly visible from your seating position. The view out the front was good, aided by xenon head lamps, but I was a little leery changing lanes on the interstate because the mirrors on the sides didn't afford me a very good view, and when I checked my blind spots I'd find the B-pillar in my line of sight. I'm sure with a little more seat time, I'd get used to it.

The best part? It gets gas mileage comparable to the Redline. The average for the 500 miles on it was 23.1 (apparently, before my dad got it, the average economy was 24.7 ) Not too bad for a 6-liter 8 cylinder. I have a feeling the 6-speed automatic played a part, because at 70 mph it was humming just above idle.

All in all it was great, sorry for the exasperatingly long post!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
The best part? It gets gas mileage comparable to the Redline. The average for the 500 miles on it was 23.1 (apparently, before my dad got it, the average economy was 24.7 ) Not too bad for a 6-liter 8 cylinder. I have a feeling the 6-speed automatic played a part, because at 70 mph it was humming just above idle.

All in all it was great, sorry for the exasperatingly long post!
Well its kinda of disappointing that it wasn't a Z06, but paddle shift...cool. And for the mpg...DAMN!, just above idle and 70mph...nice. God I wish I had money or good good connections.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe the good gas mileage can be attributed to the ability to shut off 4 cylinders. I remember reading somewhere that the new Vettes had that ability. But still, that is awesome. Some turns I can barely take above 40, like certain on-/off-ramps marked for 15. I'm sure the Redline can take them quite easily and no doubt the Vette can rip those on ramps like an F1.

·
Registered
366 Posts
new vettes are not DOD (displacement on demand)

only the v8 LS4 is (grand prix gxp, monte ss, impala ss)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
I believe the good gas mileage can be attributed to the ability to shut off 4 cylinders. I remember reading somewhere that the new Vettes had that ability. But still, that is awesome. Some turns I can barely take above 40, like certain on-/off-ramps marked for 15. I'm sure the Redline can take them quite easily and no doubt the Vette can rip those on ramps like an F1.
My Firebird gets better gas mileage than my Redline as well. It dosn't have DoD on it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i wish i was in your shoes!!! that must've been killer!

·
Registered
487 Posts
its not ala ferrari FYI, Ferrari uses an SMG not a tiptronic auto like chevy is making.........cool, but SMG's are waaaaaaaaaaay better

sounds nice and like alot of fun though!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Way to leak that info Urban about the paddle shifter. Magazines haven't even said anything about that. It looks like a month and a half ago, it got leaked onto Corvette forums, and there's some pictures up of it. I hadn't heard anything about it, but that's pretty cool that GM's putting that in there.

Now how exactly do they shift? It seems like a lot of people are confused on that, as the pictures on other websites have buttons visible from the front of the steering wheel, that both have plus signs on them. And it looks like those buttons are connected to paddles behind the steering wheel to flip with the fingers, instead of the thumbs like Grand Prixs. Are there actual paddles behind the steering wheel? And does one flip to shift up, and the other flips to switch down? Or do they both have the ability to shift up and down by either flipping in or out?

·
Registered
710 Posts
hmm

I'll be watching out for those on the road... If i ever come up to one ill just say "you should beat me, if i do beat you then you need a little more practice." I think ive gotten pretty good at launches. I'm able to get very little wheel spin, but with fast acceleration.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The C6s are really nice, a definate improvement over the C5 overall. I got to check out a black C6 Z06 last week, that car is absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpapa said:
Way to leak that info Urban about the paddle shifter. Magazines haven't even said anything about that. It looks like a month and a half ago, it got leaked onto Corvette forums, and there's some pictures up of it. I hadn't heard anything about it, but that's pretty cool that GM's putting that in there.

Now how exactly do they shift? It seems like a lot of people are confused on that, as the pictures on other websites have buttons visible from the front of the steering wheel, that both have plus signs on them. And it looks like those buttons are connected to paddles behind the steering wheel to flip with the fingers, instead of the thumbs like Grand Prixs. Are there actual paddles behind the steering wheel? And does one flip to shift up, and the other flips to switch down? Or do they both have the ability to shift up and down by either flipping in or out?
The way it works is you can use either one for up & down shifts, you push it forward (with your thumb) to upshift and pull it towards you (with your other 4 fingers) to downshift. It's really smooth. I liked how it worked, it'd take a little bit of getting used to it to be really fast with doing it, but it's really cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts