Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so at the local car get together today, we went around taking pics and what not. one of our friends traded in his 350z for an early 90's vette. not sure what model exactly, i just know it was the LS1 type. :rolleyes:

anyhoo, we get out of town/traffic, and slow down to about 20ish, and drop i drop it into 2nd, while he is in an auto. it was a 3 honk start, and i hung with him till the top of 2nd, after that, he proceeded to wax my ace. we shut it down around 100ish or so, with me being ~3ish cars behind him. he had 1 passenger, and i had 2.

while i didnt expect to remotely keep up with a somewhat newer vette, i am not dissappointed about the death :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Keebler said:
so at the local car get together today, we went around taking pics and what not. one of our friends traded in his 350z for an early 90's vette. not sure what model exactly, i just know it was the LS1 type. :rolleyes:

anyhoo, we get out of town/traffic, and slow down to about 20ish, and drop i drop it into 2nd, while he is in an auto. it was a 3 honk start, and i hung with him till the top of 2nd, after that, he proceeded to wax my ace. we shut it down around 100ish or so, with me being ~3ish cars behind him. he had 1 passenger, and i had 2.

while i didnt expect to remotely keep up with a somewhat newer vette, i am not dissappointed about the death :D
That is surprising i have a friend that had a mid 90s auto vette with the zr-1 wheels and side pipes and some sort of body kit, the car was beautiful, his best at the track was a [email protected] I used to race him with my supra and from a roll i kept right with him and probably would have pulled him past 100mph. I would think from a roll an SRT-4 would keep right up with an auto C4 vette but then again you did have an extra passenger and that makes a big difference.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Some of the C4's are alot less fast than some people think too. Not all of course... but there are some that are not the pavement monsters you'd think. Mid-80's, I think, were a terrible year for them. I have to check my books again, I wanna say 84-85. Somewhere in there... Seems there's quite a few musclecar folks here lately... my '77 would get killed by a Redline or an SRT-4 stock. It had a neck snapping 180 hp stock.... Now it's in the 250-275 range, but it's still pretty heavy then... they got much lighter..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Keebler said:
CORvette vs. "SRT-4"
I don't think you needed to specify the "CORvette". It's not like when people hear the word "vette" they immediately think of the Chevette. "Vette" is synonomous with the Corvette. By the way, I'm glad to see SRT-4 owners can take a loss in stride and not immediately deny it and make up 40 billion excuses about "no traction", "boost leak", "extra passengers" and other BS excuses.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ just being a smart ass :D :D no harm intended.

and yes, i, like a few others around the boards, can accept the fact the srt-4 has its limits. i had in no way expected to keep up with him, it was just for fun :)

and his quote: well, i have twice the engine, that means you were working twice as hard to keep up. i have to give those lil engine props.

however, i have a friend with a black srt-4 that i think should have a go with the vette, might be a lil closer race ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D true true..but i was able to take an stock c4, like spooner mentioned above. why not try for a bigger fish ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
if it was a ls1, you absolutely will get waxed after about 80-85mph.

ls1's are monster's up top, and that's about where the average srt4 will run out of steam, so to say.

nice runs. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keebler said:
^^ just being a smart ass :D :D no harm intended.

and yes, i, like a few others around the boards, can accept the fact the srt-4 has its limits. i had in no way expected to keep up with him, it was just for fun :)

and his quote: well, i have twice the engine, that means you were working twice as hard to keep up. i have to give those lil engine props.

however, i have a friend with a black srt-4 that i think should have a go with the vette, might be a lil closer race ;)
Are talkin about that kid we ran into at Taco Bell? Bradon was it? I would like to run that vette. I should be getting my MBC this week. I will see if it works better than the bleed on the AGP WGA. Oh, almost forgot....

BS, THE SRT4 WASN'T RACING!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I thought this was going to be one of those "I totally smoked a Vette's ass with SRT4" or "I barely lost by a few feet to a Vette with my SRT4" stories. At least you were honest about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
matt said:
I thought this was going to be one of those "I totally smoked a Vette's ass with SRT4" or "I barely lost by a few feet to a Vette with my SRT4" stories. At least you were honest about it.
Exactly what I was thinking. Good story though. Oh, just FYI, if it was an "early 90's Vette" it wasn't an LS1. LS1's didn't appear in Vettes until 98. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i was referring to brandon. but hell, i think you could hang pretty well with him too brent :D

and fastest, i didnt know that...thanks for clearing up my confusion..if i find the details of his vette, ill post them up in here. i only have pics of it, no powr ratings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Keebler said:
yeah, i was referring to brandon. but hell, i think you could hang pretty well with him too brent :D

and fastest, i didnt know that...thanks for clearing up my confusion..if i find the details of his vette, ill post them up in here. i only have pics of it, no powr ratings.
If it was an "early 90's" vette you suck at driving and should turn your keys over to someone who can put your car to good use. I hope you meant to type "late 90's".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fastest1 said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Good story though. Oh, just FYI, if it was an "early 90's Vette" it wasn't an LS1. LS1's didn't appear in Vettes until 98. ;)
Actually the LS1 came out in '97 for the all-new C5: in '98 was the first year for the LS1 in the FBodies.

If it was an "early early" '90's Vette ('90-'91), it woulda been the TPI motor: about 270 hp and mid 14's in the 1/4; "early-mid '90's" ('92-'96) woulda been the LT1 motor (or LT5 if it was a '90-'95 ZR1, or LT4 if it was a '96 CE 6-speed): about mid-high 13's in the 1/4.

I could see you beating a TPI, but not an LT1 Vette. But that's in "all the right conditions": I wasn't there, and just about anything can happen on the streets.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
blab10 said:
If it was an "early 90's" vette you suck at driving and should turn your keys over to someone who can put your car to good use. I hope you meant to type "late 90's".
damn..wtf is your problem?

·
Registered
221 Posts
TransAm52804 said:
Actually the LS1 came out in '97 for the all-new C5: in '98 was the first year for the LS1 in the FBodies.

If it was an "early early" '90's Vette ('90-'91), it woulda been the TPI motor: about 270 hp and mid 14's in the 1/4; "early-mid '90's" ('92-'96) woulda been the LT1 motor (or LT5 if it was a '90-'95 ZR1, or LT4 if it was a '96 CE 6-speed): about mid-high 13's in the 1/4.

I could see you beating a TPI, but not an LT1 Vette. But that's in "all the right conditions": I wasn't there, and just about anything can happen on the streets.
absolutely true about what the "stock" info, but I highly doubt the vette
was stock. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts