Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I brake at the speed of 50 or 60 my steering wheel vibrates like mad. Is this an alignment issue? I only have 2.9k miles on my car. I am taking it in tomorrow. This should be something under warranty right? I haven't seen grooves in the rotors yet, but could this be related?

·
Registered
767 Posts
there were a lot of cases where peoples brakes vibrated when braking from high speeds. I took mine to the dealer because they vibrated when braking from 80, and they replaced them for free.

·
Registered
524 Posts
shaneathan said:
When I brake at the speed of 50 or 60 my steering wheel vibrates like mad. Is this an alignment issue? I only have 2.9k miles on my car. I am taking it in tomorrow. This should be something under warranty right? I haven't seen grooves in the rotors yet, but could this be related?
Your tires are probably out of balance. Take it back to the dealer, they should balance them for you for free and you should be good to go. It's not hard to knock this size tire out of balance, so watch out for the potholes...

Tom

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my car into the dealer today and they are replacing the rotors. I am assuming there were grooves, and he said it wouldn't be fair to turn it once since then I would have to get new rotors on my own that much sooner. I know I'm not the first one to get new rotors for this. The squeak was from the back seat thing they are saying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like warped rotors, I used to warp them on my old SL2 every 10,000 miles easily, and they're warped on my SRT-4 now.

If you haven't put a ton of miles on it, they may replace them under warranty. They should not warp that quickly.

Question: Is this your first stick?

My SRT-4 was my first stick, and I didn't start braking in gear until I had already warped my rotors, didn't realize how important that is to brake life.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
srt4evah said:
Sounds like warped rotors, I used to warp them on my old SL2 every 10,000 miles easily, and they're warped on my SRT-4 now.

If you haven't put a ton of miles on it, they may replace them under warranty. They should not warp that quickly.

Question: Is this your first stick?

My SRT-4 was my first stick, and I didn't start braking in gear until I had already warped my rotors, didn't realize how important that is to brake life.
Never had anything but stick cars. What do you mean by braking in gear? I usually do a combination of downshifting and then braking. Do you mean not braking with the clutch in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts