Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tranced and I attended CartCT's Lime Rock Park track day event. Unfortunately, I was the only one actually driving. This is my second time on a track (the first was two years ago at New Hampshire Motor Speedway) and the second of four 20 minute sessions for the day. I tried to get video of the fourth session, but the camera batteries quit just as I was leaving the pits.

Later in the day, I did pass that gray Audi A4 2.0T. he claimed 300 whp. I also passed an e39 BMW M5 and I was all over a Porsche Carrera 4S in the curves, but he wasn't about to let me pass him on the front straight!

I was cutting 1:10-1:12 second lap times pretty consistently, with a fast unofficial time of 1:09 in this session. I was officially timed at 1:10 during a 3-lap time trial after session 3.

watch for the early apex at the downhill onto the front straight that leads to a pretty dramatic drift about 4:30 into video 2!

Part 1:

Part 2:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow GC, there is so many great things to say about this! First of all - major KUDOS to you! I just finished watching both vids in their entirety and they were great.

First of all, what a great circuit. A good amount of difficulty but certainly drivable by a wide range of skill levels. That right-left complex really gives your tires a run for their money, I could hear them screaming from up here in Canada! And that little upward hump where there is slight decompression looks like fun, it by the sound of your engine it seemed like you took a slight bit of air a few times!

Camera work was brilliant, not sure how you have it set up but it felt like a true onboard race cam. It would be cool if they had some external cameras so we could see your RL diving and leaning into the turns, especially that right-left complex.

I also like the mix of cars that were racing. Not sure what the class requirements were, seeing as all the cars racing seemed to be all over the map. Found myself cheering for you, URGING you to get past that damn Miata! Impressive though, out of all the passing you did, you only got passed once and it was right after your back end stepped out. Kind of surprising though, didn't think a vintage Mustang would be able to outhandle the suspension of a modified RL.

And finally, I have to thank you because you've made me truly proud to own an ION QC (even if it isn't a RL). To see what this car is capable of is just astounding. And as for your driving style, it was beautiful - great lines, and very smooth (just like Speed Racer in the 2008 movie!). You approached the turns with excellent angles and could hold closer than everyone I saw in front of you. Being a HUGE F1 fan (I just came back from watching the Canadian Grand Prix last weekend) I am so stoked to see a RL duking it out on a road course. No disrespect to the many here that drag or street race, but for me, road course racing is the most elegant and sophisticated form of racing. To see the top line of the car I am driving perform like this was amazing!

Well, I may eventually have to deviate from being a poser and actually begin performance mods in the future. Keep up the good fight GC, show the world what RLs can do! :D

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
good job. love lime rock.. i know a few of the guys who are the head of the club committee.

by the way, the 4s ya were chasing down.. did it have NY plates?

·
Registered
270 Posts
And one other thing: even though you were passed by that red vintage Mustang, you totally lapped that white 80s gaystang - so everything balances out! :)

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I love 1:50 on the second video.

the mustang was getting winded it on the straits. I was surprised as it didn't have much body roll. the absolute only reason the mustang passed was because GC easily lost 20mph in the most strategic corner of the track.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have some pics that tranced took that i haven't loaded up yet.

thank you for the compliments. practice group C was actually a novice group. there were 12-14 of us. i feel like i was really hanging with anything that still had street tires on it. there were a few guys in the run group that had r-comps that i wasn't going to catch.

that white miata was like my counterpoint. he slipped away as i fought through the turns, but my horsepower down the front straight would reel him back in. i never got close enough to pass him completely, though, so whenever i ended up behind him, i slowed a little to give him space. he drove the line better than i did too, so it was nice to follow him.

i was setting up to pass that white mustang at the end of video two when they black flagged us to come in.

the 4S DID have ny plates. it was fun to be behind him, looking at those massive steamroller 305 series tires, but he was clearly a little bit cautious of going over the curbing (that i know actually helps you turn) and a little cautious of careening into the corners with as much abandon as i did. i felt faster than him until we hit that front straight and then off he went, opening up probably 5 car lengths. we caught up to a e36 M3 and the three of us dueled for a lap very evenly and then i pitted to give those two some space. clearly the 4S was not going to let me pass him on the straights and i was being held up behind him in the curves. when they let me back out onto the track, i ended up behind that gray A4 with the left taillight out that you see pit in the video. i passed him.

i wonder what i would have done with R-comps and better brakes!

oh, and the camera is mounted to a suction cup GPS mount. i bought a RAM mount for my GPS, so it's bolted into the useless shallow cupholder where i have easy access to the screen, it's not blocking any windshield, and it is less likely to be stolen.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
are you on stock brakes?
I was going to ask how the brakes felt through all that...
Your on a 2.9 right? What about iat2's with all that slowing and wot?
Im actualy going to try to get into this as i have my brakes up to par i hope.

·
Registered
270 Posts
^That's what makes this all the more sweeter. To perform as he did somewhat close to stock makes me even more stoked to be driving my car!

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go: K&N Typhoon, 42#ers, GM Stage 2 Pulley (3.1") and a custom tune. 240 whp, 210 wtq

Slow: stock brake rotors (fronts replaced with NAPA premiums, o.e. rears) and HAWK HPS pads

Turn: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires in 235/40/17 on stock wheels, inflaetd to give me 39 psi front and 41 rear when hot. B&G lowering springs, JS front strut brace, Progress rear sway bar

and that's it! it's really not any more or less than your average RLF street setup.

i would go with better pads next time, like EBC yellow. going down the front straight at 115-120 in fourth, i had to quit and start braking WAY at the beginning of the numbers (the 6) where a lot of the other, more dedicated, cars were braking as late as the 2!

session 3 i was seeing steady 160 IAT2s about halfway through the session. i noticed as i was heading down "no name straight" at WOT and the car hiccupped as if i hit the rev-limiter, but i was only at 5500-6000 rpm. i was worried my IC pump quit, but I took a few 90% laps and saw temps come back down to 150 fairly quickly and then down to 120 rolling through the paddock at the end of the session.

all the other sessions did not see quite as high IAT2s, so i never had that hiccup again during the day, but i'd consider at least option B before heading out to lime rock again.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
unfortunately, no. hadn't seen the need for one with just simple stage 2...

·
Registered
270 Posts
So did Darth Redline use the FORCE(d induction) to turn good Redlines to the dark (tinted tail lights) side to gain unlimited power(band) and use their light(weight) sabers and bring down the rebel (ricer) scum?

(Ow....my nerd brain hurts now from thinking up such terrible puns.) :cowsmile:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
heh. it ended up being too cloudy to run the tinted/mirrored shield. i took it off for the day...

until we left! it started to clear up around 5 pm, just as we were leaving. i put my helmet and gloves back on and drove an hour and a half with it on, waving at anyone and everyone who'd look over! i completely confused the girl at the last toll booth, too!

hahaha.

i bet it was pretty intimidating to see my car come up in the rearview with the red taped headlights. everyone else had blue masking tape over theirs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts