Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I am a new member here & wanted to share my brake pics. They are painted dodge viper red & I used chrome decals for the (ION).They were sanded smooth & painted with 3 coats of Dupont clear coat.The decals are under the clear. My redline is silver but I only took close ups so far. I plan to take other pics. later. I also put a grill in the bumper which I will take pics. of & post later.
Rebecca

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
bec said:
Hey everyone...I am a new member here & wanted to share my brake pics. They are painted dodge viper red & I used chrome decals for the (ION).They were sanded smooth & painted with 3 coats of Dupont clear coat.The decals are under the clear. My redline is silver but I only took close ups so far. I plan to take other pics. later. I also put a grill in the bumper which I will take pics. of & post later.
Rebecca
Damn! That is show stuff. Nice job!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow man, that looks sharp! Nice job.

.....and welcome :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Man that is sweet!!! :eek: I love it. Do you want to do mine.LOL

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks great. Did you do any prep to the calipers before tha painting? I ask because I removed some paint from mine and found that theremust be some sealeant on them from the factory, as where I removed paint, I have developed some rust spots. I have to take them back off this next week and clean them and coat them.

Looks good though. I've done a grill also, what did you use?

Sorry, missed the post about the grill. It was left unfinished though, it just begs for something to be in there. Not to mention that times I have had to straighten cooling fins from road debris...

·
Registered
289 Posts
blkturbo said:
lol.....hey yall, I'm also a new member with just a few posts.....I joined when Rebecca bought her RL a few months back.

I'm the b/f that painted her calipers, haha (I used to paint cars). I'm normally found in supraforums.....so I've been giving Rebecca some influence to her and her RL ;)

Thanks for the compliments.....she's so excited to have a new car...and one that has freshly painted calipers :D

edit: Oh yeah.....her RL is silver. She's going to take more pics from further back to see the full effect :)
I also installed a grille in the front bumper to "finish" what Saturn didn't. Just some basic mesh painted black, and fixed to those plastic pins you see in the back-side of the bumper's mouth.

sean
Damn! All the chicks painting rotors have boyfriends! :eek: Nice job! Look forward to seeing more mods in the future. Welcome.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kirtsky said:
Looks great. Did you do any prep to the calipers before tha painting? I ask because I removed some paint from mine and found that theremust be some sealeant on them from the factory, as where I removed paint, I have developed some rust spots. I have to take them back off this next week and clean them and coat them.

Looks good though. I've done a grill also, what did you use?

Sorry, missed the post about the grill. It was left unfinished though, it just begs for something to be in there. Not to mention that times I have had to straighten cooling fins from road debris...

Yes....definitely did some prep work. I dont paint anything without prepping it first ;) I don't know that the calipers have any sort of "sealant" on them, but I imagine they will rust easier if you sanded yours and left them bare (like a rotor's face). I used a dremel with a grinding stone to remove the majority of the rough cast, then sprayed with etch primer, painted red, applied the decals and then cleared everything. Just be sure not to touch the bare sanded metal before painting.....keep them free from hand oils and get them primed and painted (after wiping them down with laquer thinner or other general cleaner).
You cant really see from the pics, but I also removed the rotors and painted them silver to really bring out the entire job. For the grille I used a basic mesh that most everyone uses. The galvanized looking "xxxx" pattern mesh....painted it black to match the inserts at the corners of the bumper.
Hey, I saw that grille you were working on in your thread....looks very nice. Where did you get all the aluminum for yours?

sean

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, I used a dremel, with the polishing stone, to knock the roughness of the casting down and that is what was left bare. Still thinking about machining at least the face of the caliper and then refinishing. Either way, they are coming off again and getting redone. Just need to find a day that I can have it all up and off.

Thanks for the grill comment. Actually, all the materials ended up coming from Lowes, except the spacers. The bar stock is in the isle with the fasteners. I also used stainless threaded rod to go through each piece and hold it all together. The spacers between each are actually stops from an aluminum stop and ferule kit. I found a box of bags that was being thrown out and behold, they worked. I need to go and look to see if they can be purchased at Lowes or HD, and what they run. I am about to try another, but may use thinner stock in the aluminum this time. That was 1/8 thick, so much thinner will be too thin for structure, but I'll see.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
OK, I might be the only one, but where did the pic go. This sounds like something I want to see.

Sorry for the confusion....she didn't post the grille pics mainly because the pics were a little dark --> overcast day + black grille. So there's not a whole lot to see untill she gets a better shot of it.

By the way...I also sanded the calipers smooth after the dremel stone treatment (with 80 then 180 DA paper).

Blue04redline - where did you get your supercharged emblem?

Kirtsky - Thanks for the info....I didnt realize that stuff was at Lowes or HD.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
blkturbo said:
Sorry for the confusion....she didn't post the grille pics mainly because the pics were a little dark --> overcast day + black grille. So there's not a whole lot to see untill she gets a better shot of it.

Ok, no confusion at all, it's just that when I was bringing up the first page, it said that there were attached thumbnails (I'm assuming the calipers) and it just didn't show the picture. And I got the supercharged emblems on eBay. I just did a search for "supercharged emblems" and found one that was shorter than the badging we had. I think it's 4 inches, and the Ion and Redline badge thing are about 5.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
blkturbo said:

There are a few different kinds on Ebay. I bought the one for the Chevy Cobalt. It was like $20 shipped.

blkturbo - Maybe I missed it but where did you get the ION letters that you used on the calipers?

·
Registered
487 Posts
blkturbo said:
You cant really see from the pics, but I also removed the rotors and painted them silver to really bring out the entire job. ....looks very nice. Where did you get all the aluminum for yours?

sean
please tell me you didnt paint the braking surface......

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Man, that's alot of work for calipers, looks great though!

·
Registered
128 Posts
geokots said:
That's looks sharp. What colour is your RL? I'd love to try that with my blue RL with Blue callipers.

Her car is silver. Looks very nice with the viper red color :)

Jeepin79 - I had the decals cut at a local sign shop. I traced the size and shape of both the ION emblem and the face of the calipers (front and rear). From there, the shop can cut them to fit the calipers correctly. I had the "O" stretched to match Saturn's "O" in ION.
You can do this for whatever color decals you want....and also to actually paint the lettering if you want (in which case, you'd order a "stencil"), rather than just a decal. I used decals because we wanted the chrome (since there's no chrome paint).
Search your area for a local sign shop and have them cut them. It's very easy and worth it!

sean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts