Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
SatredL said:
Does anyone think a vortex generator would work on the RL, why/why not ?
You mean the little wingy things on comercial air liners, dont think they will help until we get above 200mph :D :D j/k

Seriously though, no, they would not. Putting something in the intake stream of any motor is not a good idea. In the case of our cars, any remote benifit it may produce would be cancled the second that air passed through the roots supercharger and was turned up by the rotors

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I meant like on the Mitsu EVO MR. It's like a row of little wind dividers that create downforce on the rear wing. There by keeping your rear tires better planted on the ground.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SatredL said:
I'm sorry, I meant like on the Mitsu EVO MR. It's like a row of little wind dividers that ceate downforce on the rear wing.
I know what you're talking about, I think there some other car out there too, maybe it is just the Evo, you're talking about those little fins on the back of the roof, right?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm stupid with any kind of aerodynamics, not my thing. My brother in law is a aerospace/rocket engineer, I could ask him, but he's kind of an ass! He likes to hear himself talk more than I do...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry, I thought you were talking about those things that people put in the intake. Guess my crude attempt at a joke posted above was closer to what you were looking for.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
MotorMouth said:
Sorry, I thought you were talking about those things that people put in the intake. Guess my crude attempt at a joke posted above was closer to what you were looking for.
Sarcasm always echos truth!

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as those other generators go, I would'nt put one in my lawn mower, let alone my car. Oh one other question, if I was going to swap out the spark plugs for some others, which ones would you recommend?

·
Registered
141 Posts
SatredL said:
I'm sorry, I meant like on the Mitsu EVO MR. It's like a row of little wind dividers that create downforce on the rear wing. There by keeping your rear tires better planted on the ground.
Provided that the downforce calculation was done right on that rear wing it would work, but the design of vortex generators would have to be pretty exact to make any difference. They may have calculated the rear wing angle to give optimal force...but I doubt it. I think most of the time the ancle is visual more than anything else. Remember: Too much downforce=bad thing. Also, this is only going to help at very high speed. Also note that the MR is AWD, so rear downforce helps it apply power.

All that being said, I would love to get something that would make the car stick better. High-speed stability really is a weak point of the car I think. Really gets wandering with any cross wind. I do alot of highway driving, usually at too high a speed, and I found my old car would sit right down at about 150km/h but the RL will walk all over the place. Perhaps alowering would help, maybe someone else could add to that point.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I think I'd just leave the stock ones if for a while longer, plugs seem to last forever now, and I've never been sold on any of the 'power-increasing' plugs. I've tried about every one too, never could tell a difference. For what it's worth, I do hear people say good things about the Denso Iridium plugs, but who knows...

·
Registered
141 Posts
MotorMouth said:
I read a test where in a Bike mag where they said they finally broke down and tested some of those. They best ones didn't do anything and the worst robbed close to %8hp! You could tell by reading the article that they had a really hard time writing it and sounding even a little unbiased. It was actually pretty funny!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I've used the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my old car (woot, cavi..lol) and noticed it ran cleaner and seemed to start better and give better gas mileage. I did not notice any real power difference, granted it was a cavi. For me, they weren't really worth it, but that car was at the end of its life so ya never know, maybe some of these "power" ones will increase our hp..who knows.

·
Registered
141 Posts
XeroState said:
I've used the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in my old car (woot, cavi..lol) and noticed it ran cleaner and seemed to start better and give better gas mileage. I did not notice any real power difference, granted it was a cavi. For me, they weren't really worth it, but that car was at the end of its life so ya never know, maybe some of these "power" ones will increase our hp..who knows.
You have to watch too that there is the power there to generate enough spark. I worked with a guy that had a beauty of a Camaro with a twin charge on it. He put in those "Splitfire" or whatever (It was the new thing at the time) and there was so much air going in it would blow out the spark. This is his word, not mine, but if you saw the car you would believe him.

Not sure our cars push that kind of air but something that has been in the back of my head ever since.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hey man, I want enough downforce to pull a wheelie when I get going down the straights! That would be great...

I gotta agree though, the stock spoiler or batman wing would make all the downforce we should ever need. In terms of aerodynamics, dropping the car a little lower would help the whole car suck down to the road rather than pushing the back down. It seems pretty balanced at high speed, if you do a hard lane change at 80mph, nothing sways or drifts.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
campbell said:
You have to watch too that there is the power there to generate enough spark. I worked with a guy that had a beauty of a Camaro with a twin charge on it. He put in those "Splitfire" or whatever (It was the new thing at the time) and there was so much air going in it would blow out the spark. This is his word, not mine, but if you saw the car you would believe him.

Not sure our cars push that kind of air but something that has been in the back of my head ever since.
I've read alot of information and misinformation on those things. I ran them in my 500+ horsepower TransAm, and they worked great. I wouldn't say that they gave me horsepower, I would have never noticed it anyway. As soon as I took it into the guy that built it, and he chewed me out! Told me that it would scorch/burn the tops of the pistons by using those plugs. Then the guy at Pep Boys told me it would cost me horsepower, and finally I was told by a guy I used to hang and watch the races with, that they were worth 2hp per cyl and that's a tested fact boy!

Just depends on what you want to believe! I can say that I've read a few things lately that seem to indicate that the best spark is a small, VERY hot and concetrated one. So if that's true, you would want to avoid those things, since the kinda have a double/jumping spark.

I ran +4's in my Saturn SC2 with no issues, I can also say that it seemed a little smoother and had a better start/idle. I think I had put in the K&N the same day though...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
campbell said:

Yea, with my cavi, I never really had to worry about that problem (woot for stocker) but I wonder if they would make any difference in the RL. Personally I don't want to spend the moeny to find out as my car is 1.2 months (yes, I am a math/computer nerd. The real number is around 1.1986 months, lets leave it at that) and won't be needing plugs for some time....hopefully.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, in order for vortex generators to provide a benifit, you first need a functional spoiler for them to work on. If you notice on the evo, the spoiler is positioned very high and far back on the trunk and is reinforced with carbon fiber to make it very strong. It's not just a plastic wing for looks, it's actually functional and provides downforce. On a RL with a cosmetic wing, VG are a waste.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts