Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one at the shop a few months back with a blown motor. They look nice as hell. Better than the regular Vue. I almost asked if it was for sale.
But what steers me away is the Honda motor.

Did anyone of you guys ever have one?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think the 03-07 AWD models were the only ones that used the honda motor. I owned an 05 for about 2 years. Had about 160k miles on it before I traded her in for my FJ cruiser. Its a very nice DD with lots of space. The motor itself was strong, but there are a few things to keep an eye on. They need to have the valves adjusted every so often and cleaning the EGR ports is something you wanna do along with that adjustment. From what I was told, the rear diff goes out pretty easily if you don't change it roughly every 15k miles. Aside from those minor maintenance requirements, its a real nice vehicle. The interior doesn't feel as cheap as the ions (much less rattling). It's actually the only car that I've traded in and actually miss having. If you're considering getting one, I would say go for it. As long as what I mentioned above are things that were maintained, I'm sure you will have a hard time running it into the ground.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my dad had a 04 2.2 Vue that I actually learned how to drive on. I thought it rode beautifully. I do want a Vue RL at some point in the future, when Im a little better off financially.
Those do seem like minor things. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've read the 6T70 Transmission has serious 3-5 wave plate issues. I was considering getting an '08 Vue RL for my wife but after I saw all the problems GM has had with that transmission, I decided to pass. We presently have an '06 Ford Freestyle that we had to buy a new $4000 CVT for in 2011, so I don't want that ordeal repeated with another vehicle.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May be why we don't see to many of them.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That actually reminds me of another issue regarding the v6 vues with the Honda engine/trans. The torque converter is one of those things that a few people had problems with. Not sure what exactly the issue is, but it seems like a handful of them have this issue multiple times while others never had an issue with it. But its something to look out for if you plan on getting one. Usually a transmission shudder leads to the torque converter failure.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Traded my 06 Vue Redline in to get the Ion. Like above it is one of the only cars I miss. Was red with black suede interior and upgraded sound. It was a blast to drive. It handled like a car being lowered and big tires. The motor was a honda motor they traded for large truck designs. Mine ran like a champ but it only had 6k on it when I got it. I really want another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts