Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is thinking of putting a 25 dry shot right before the throttle body to help with intake temps. He was told nitrous is much better than w/a injection. Two questions: Is this true and would the nitrous do anything detriminal to the s/c screws and the coating on them? Thanks for the help and info.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
There is not one person that I've talked to that says spraying before the blower is a good idea. My boss with his sick truck LOVES N20, and told me DO NOT spray before my blower if I want to keep the car trouble free. I also heard something about it messing with the intercooler's internal fins. I even read one artice that said a few months of N20, and you're blower rotors will look chromed...

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I had heard as well. The people at the shop who will do the work told him it would be fine, but I thought they were full of shit. Does anyone out there think this is a good idea? I told him he w'a injection would be better and safer. Any other tips?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else want to get into this? ***, Goofy, Vita, anyone? Some of my mechanics at work are saying you really don't need the finish on the screws, and some are saying that alchy can dissolve piston rings so neither are good ideas. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just got done talking to a few local lightning/cobra guys. They have been spraying pre blower since 03 and aslong as its b4 the MAF w/ colder plugs and on a dry kit your fine.
A 50 or 75 shot wouldnt hurt, its allmost like water injection w/the 50 shot and the 75 shot would be like methinal injection.
Make sure you have a window switch or a WOT switch depending on what you like.
Allso get a bigger injector set for more spray.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What do they say about the coating on the rotors? Most of the people I have asked said that you COULD do it, but it would hurt the lifespan of the blower. Also, when I explained to them the type of intercooler that we had, which most people are not familiar with, even the ones that said you could spray-preblower then suggested against it.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about an intercooler nitrous ring vs. w/a injection? Personally I would think that w/a injection would be a better idea since our s/c cooler is so efficient. They said that the ring would give 30 hp to the wheels, and I have heard that w/a is supposed to give 20. He's talking about a 35-50 shot on the cooler and then putting a 50 shot on the motor. Should net him about 80 whp. I just wonder if the w/a would be better than the ring. Ideas?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The ring only works on air-to-air intercoolers... not ours... I'm thinking a different shop might be in order....

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's Wes at SMS telling him this would work. He said to start with a 35 shot on the intercooler and then boost it to 50 once he gets used to the increased torque pull on acceleration. I remember seeing that intercooler ring in the SMS catalog stating that it was for s/c or turbo'd applications awhile back.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Is he aware that it's an Air-Water intercooler on the Redline??? At best, you could get the temp to drop SLIGHTLY, at worst you could freeze the water in the intercooler heat exchanger. Makes no sense to me at all.

From my reading, SMS is VERY experienced with turbo applications, typically Air-Air in those, perhaps he's not thinking clearly about the Redline's intercooler system.

With an Air-Air intercooler, you can safely freeze the entire intercooler. The extreme cold of the heat exchanger makes it act like a block of ice that the air is flowing through. You would need MUCH longer of a spray to get the liquid in the intercooler to chill... Plus, you have the air conditioning in front of the intercooler heat exchanger. So anything that you spray, is gonna have to go through that exchanger first, and then to the intercooler's. My guess, is that the A/C heat exchanger is NOT going to like that abuse for long... just a guess...

·
Registered
46 Posts
nitrous

im putting a spraybar at the air inlet box nos says i should receive up to 30hp boost.. and on the motor im going with a 35hp wet system, they will install the intercooler spraybar on my car wed i will post dyno thrusday , friday they will install nitrous on motor will post dyno sat..

·
Registered
118 Posts
rlinbatonrouge said:
How about an intercooler nitrous ring vs. w/a injection? Personally I would think that w/a injection would be a better idea since our s/c cooler is so efficient. They said that the ring would give 30 hp to the wheels, and I have heard that w/a is supposed to give 20. He's talking about a 35-50 shot on the cooler and then putting a 50 shot on the motor. Should net him about 80 whp. I just wonder if the w/a would be better than the ring. Ideas?
Do you know what you are talking about? NOS give you HP by increasing the amount of oxygen in the intake charge,this is done by lowering the intake air temperature. more oxygen more power! cooling the air makes increased HP, and cooling off already cold air does not really add power. i'll be shooting a 75 hp wet shot, direct port. if not that then in the TB.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Ford guys spray dry before the blower all the time. Nitrous isn't corrosive. I'm pretty sure that what is recommended against is spraying a wet shot before the blower because the fuel will take the finish off of the rotors. We're spraying a 50 shot pre blower before the MAF without any problems.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DarricksZ28 said:
The Ford guys spray dry before the blower all the time. Nitrous isn't corrosive. I'm pretty sure that what is recommended against is spraying a wet shot before the blower because the fuel will take the finish off of the rotors. We're spraying a 50 shot pre blower before the MAF without any problems.
Just the info that he was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I'm still looking into the alchy injection to drop intake temps. Granted, it looks like it will give 20 whp while nirtous is saying 30 whp, but when you compare it to cost it is just so much more effective. Now to find a new washer reservoir and add it to the other side of the car for the alchy tank.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SCAP said:
Do you know what you are talking about? NOS give you HP by increasing the amount of oxygen in the intake charge,this is done by lowering the intake air temperature. more oxygen more power! cooling the air makes increased HP, and cooling off already cold air does not really add power. i'll be shooting a 75 hp wet shot, direct port. if not that then in the TB.

Did you actually read what I typed or just went straight to commenting? I was asking if an intercooler ring would be a good idea since the cooler is already so efficient. Not to mention the fact that it is air to water, so there is a possibility of freezing the entire unit and causing some major problems. From what you have typed, this thread may help you out some. Wet shot of nitrous is corrosive to the coatings of the s/c and will dissolve it if sprayed before.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SCAP said:
People also use it on Air-Air intercoolers to chill the intake charge... very common.. CO2 is a much cheaper, and just as effective method.

·
Registered
196 Posts
rlinbatonrouge said:
Just the info that he was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I'm still looking into the alchy injection to drop intake temps. Granted, it looks like it will give 20 whp while nirtous is saying 30 whp, but when you compare it to cost it is just so much more effective. Now to find a new washer reservoir and add it to the other side of the car for the alchy tank.
No problem dude.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spoke with the tech guys at NOS about spraying nitrous before the S/C and they don't recommend it being done.

Their suggestions were to use a direct-port system in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They don't recommend doing it at all, or is a dry shot better than a wet shot?

·
Registered
411 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:

A dry spray before the supercharger would be one options since a dry shot uses the MAF to increase fuel. However someone advised me to not even try to compress fuel in the supercharger even for safety reasons, so a wet shot before the blower would not be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts