Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

washing, buffing, n polishing, etc.

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  stealthredline2 
#1 ·
what kind of cloth or material do you all use for cleaning the exterior?

i.e.
what do you use for washing?
do you dry, or chamois?
do you buff?
do you just give it a light dusting?
etc

#2 ·
I use mother or Mequires wax depends on who has the nicer bottle at the time. It meguires right now shiny red car. I used Ajax dish soap for the car in my Mr Clean Gimmic so my car is Lemon fresh and completly wax free. I use ,icrofiber for cleaning and dusting and for cleaning I use a super soft sponge and a special brush on the wheels.

#4 · (Edited)
I was the car with Mr. Clean AutoDry and with diaper cloths. Including the rims. I use Meguires Hot Rim Cleaner for the soap on the rims with the diaper cloth and for the interior I just use ArmorAll wipes for the dash and panels. ArmorAll leather wipes for the seats. Sofar I've had a shop wax it once and I asked them to use Touch of Class (that really old looking bottle). It works great!

With the Mr. Clean Autodry.... you don't have to dry! :D

#5 ·
Washing

Just use a wash mit with a good Car wash soap and then use a chamios to dry. I have used the Mr Clean wash system it works well you can get it at Wal-Mart for $25.00 of so. Just make sure you wash in the shade.
Wax is up to you. You can use anything such as a cleaner wax, or carnuba wax. You only need to use a heavy cleaning product if you have a lot of scratches or tar/sap on your paint. The car has a base/clear paint on it. you do not need any special cleaners just because it has plastic panels

#6 ·
i used to paint for a living, i use only mother's first off. second off i use no creams or liquid polish. i will only use 100% carnuba wax in the tin. is it hard to put on ; so so, is it hard to get off, yes , is it worth every second of it when you are done absolutly. and using the hard wax it will last a real long time. i have noticed the paint on the r/l to be a little "softer" than some other manufactures. it seems to scratch a little easier if you have any dirt on your cloth. keep whatever you use CLEAN you should be fine. anything will work good as far as cloth goes like t-shirt with not wrinting or patches on it. but i prefer cheesecloth myself.

#7 ·
I really like the Mr. Clean AutoDry system. Makes washing a breeze and no spots left on the car! I've been trying different wash mitts for the exterior. Currently it's microfiber.

I like Stoner Invisible Glass for the windows. Microfiber cloth to clean and terrycloth towel to buff off.

On the interior, I use a microfiber cloth and plain water to wipe down the door jams and plastic trim, seats, dash, etc. I try not to use any type of cleaner. I will absolutely NOT use Armor All or other protectant on the interior. I don't care for the 'shiny' look and I hate the 'slimy' feel.

Wheels: Armor All Low Gloss Formula. Again, don't care for the 'shiny' look on the wheels.

#8 ·
I use PS21 wax it's 100% carnuba easy on easy off. I can't say enough about this wax. I also use PS21 tire cleaner it does good job. I also would recommend The Mr. Clean system it does a great job if you use it in combo with microfiber towel. Armor All on everthing. For glass I use Invisible Glass.

#9 ·
Me I dp auto body, So I use a cheese cloth with soap on it, No dish soap it takes off wax. Also I use 3M Industrial Fine Cut Buffing Compound, Also after I buff I use a 3M Machine Glase finish for that fresh wet paint look. Claybars are good too just use the fine putty ones.

"Stoner" LOL :D

#14 ·
:armed: i use liquid ice car wach, clay bar, and wax, all by turtle wax. I like the wax cuz it doesnt "dust" when removing and it doesnt "stain" plactic parts its easy to remove. nothing is worse than spending all that time cleaning the car then waxing it and having it covered in wax dust. makes it look like shit. i have the black redline so everything shows... the clay bar works very well to. i go over the whole car with that before waxing. last time i washed my car it took me 4 hours to do inside and out.... im kinda anal about cleaning my car.... lol but it looks so good when done.... i only use the hand mit to wash and i rinse the mitt every few min. then quigee the water off very lightly. then hit it with the clay bar wash again then wax

#15 ·
04redracer said:
:armed: i use liquid ice car wach, clay bar, and wax, all by turtle wax. I like the wax cuz it doesnt "dust" when removing and it doesnt "stain" plactic parts its easy to remove. nothing is worse than spending all that time cleaning the car then waxing it and having it covered in wax dust. makes it look like shit. i have the black redline so everything shows... the clay bar works very well to. i go over the whole car with that before waxing. last time i washed my car it took me 4 hours to do inside and out.... im kinda anal about cleaning my car.... lol but it looks so good when done.... i only use the hand mit to wash and i rinse the mitt every few min. then quigee the water off very lightly. then hit it with the clay bar wash again then wax
pffft i hate the ice brand. i used it and believe that meguires is waaay superior. i still use the ice soap. i actually like it.

#18 ·
zfactor said:
i used to paint for a living, i use only mother's first off. second off i use no creams or liquid polish. i will only use 100% carnuba wax in the tin. is it hard to put on ; so so, is it hard to get off, yes , is it worth every second of it when you are done absolutly. and using the hard wax it will last a real long time. i have noticed the paint on the r/l to be a little "softer" than some other manufactures. it seems to scratch a little easier if you have any dirt on your cloth. keep whatever you use CLEAN you should be fine.
My thoughts exactly. I've scratched a couple areas because of the "softer" finish. NuFinish and Meguiars have worked well for me, although I'm starting to lean toward Zaino's stuff, but its really pricey.

I usually wash, wax, rewash, when I'm doing a full wax. My biggest problem is getting the tar specks off the rockers and front grill. Once that's done the rest is relatively easy (but lots of buffing) And a 4 hour wash and wax is a quick one, IMO!

Also always wash and wax in the shade with the engine cool.

#20 ·
I haven't used any wax or polish on my 06 RL yet. I was 4x a week clear water on once with 1oz of saturn car wash to 5gal of water. I will use for the first time this weekend claybar to remove some fine scratches and the wax it but I have heard it is better to use polish only, what do u guys think? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.