Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've never owned a Saturn before in my life, and thus have never washed and/or waxed a plastic-bodied car before. And I am a FREAK for keeping my car clean, from the first day it's 50 degrees I'll wash my car once or twice a week & wax it once a month or so. HOWEVER, I don't know if the procedure is any different for a plastic car. Can you use the same wash & wax? I figured it's all the same PAINT so it wouldn't matter, but I don't want to screw up the car. Anybody?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aeain said:
It's the same as with any other car.
One day last summer while waxing my old saturn, my neighbor made the comment "I've never seen someone wax plastic before". :rolleyes: I told them there's still automotive paint ontop of that plastic.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
i spent a whole semester on detailing cars. if you have swirl marks in your clear be careful! the swirls only show up on the darker color cars, but be careful when buffig. plastic cant hold as many mils (thickness used for paint) of paint therefore they have about half as much paint on them as a metal car. so when buffing buf at a low rpm and at a quicker pace because when you buff you heat up the paint. over heat the paint and warp your paint and pissible your pannel. because our cars are plastic they put a flex additive in out paint, alowing it to bend some. no exta care is needed when washin your car. hope this makes sense and heps you guys out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You guys are on drugs. You wax the PAINT, not the plastic. And paint is paint.

And the paint Saturn uses has no more flex then othe auto paints. Why? Because ALL modern cars use some sort of plastic on the car (like the bumper facias) and all these parts get painted together. Just like your Ion decklid and roof (both metal) get painted at the same time, on the same fixture, and cured in the same oven as the pastic panels do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts