Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone pursued this yet?

It was pretty effective on SC 3800 vehicles. With this owners were able to get rid of all of their KR, and reduce SC outlet temps considerably. One problem was noted though, the guys that ran Water Injection for a while noted that when they pulled their superchargers off the rotors looked like they were polished and sand blasted. As pleasing to the eye that may seem... there is supposed to be teflon coating on the rotors. Eaton coats the rotors to protect them from heat and for longevity reasons. It seems the rotors loose their coatings because water injection is like sand blasting the rotors. Now there are plenty of people out there running without coatings on their rotors and havent suffered a supercharger failure..... in fact I ahvent heard of any failures.

some believe that the water injection has this effect because of the water sprayer nozzles.... they beleive that if it sprayed a finer mist that we wouldnt have this problem.

Anyone with a RL think about this yet? Discuss.....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My buddy did that on his Eclipse. Not sure if it helped too much but I don't think he does it anymore. He's actually the only person I've seen do it so I wouldn't want to try it until I see it done effectively.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
are the gtps intercooled? I know water injection works great on turbo vehicles I used it before myself. But that adds the water/alcohol mix in stream of the intake after the turbo so the mixture isnt ran through the turbo. In theroy it would work but we have a larger intercooler already so the gains wouldnt be worth any damage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTPs are not intercooled.

Like I said it strips the Teflon coating off the rotors, but haven't actually seen any failures because of this.

I think the gains on a SC IC'd car would be great, it would lower the SC outlet temps before the IC.

What are the KR readings like on a RL? You almost never find a GTP without KR. Seems to me that GM Knock sensors are extra sensitive...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SporkLover said:
GTPs are not intercooled.

Like I said it strips the Teflon coating off the rotors, but haven't actually seen any failures because of this.

I think the gains on a SC IC'd car would be great, it would lower the SC outlet temps before the IC.

What are the KR readings like on a RL? You almost never find a GTP without KR. Seems to me that GM Knock sensors are extra sensitive...
Perhaps someone could enllighten me a little more on the specifics of water cooling like that. I've heard of it before, but never really seen it done.

·
Registered
674 Posts
SporkLover said:
No one here has been able to find a scan tool that has been able to read KR on these cars. Well atleast not yet. Knock is a killer, I'm very curoius to find out where we sit in this respect. You are right also, GM knock sensors are notorious for picking up false knock. This, in the past, has been worse for the motor than the knock its self. If the ECM starts backing off timing under full boost it can damage the motor just as much as spark knock. Backing off the timing when seeing false knock can create uneven loads on the crank under full throttle and full boost, causing harmionics to build through the rotating assembly and cause flexing and pre mature of even catastrophic main bearing failure.

I just wish we could find out what we have for KR. Hopefully there will be a scan tool or software available soon to monitor this.

SpOOner, take a look at THIS FORUM, it has a ton of good info and is dedicated specificly to water injection.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
but we still have water/air intercooler. The temp drop wouldnt be as great as a non intercooled motor. Alcy injection may help but it would have to be direct injection not a fogger in the intake path.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Info

we sell some awesome custom water alcohol injection kits that are controlled by the powerpaq piggyback. we can also set up kits that are triggered by a boost or TPS reference.

our kits utilize Aquamist components with a higher flow higher volume pump that can handle methanol or ethanol. we have 3 kits

basic- 2 jets switched by either tps a pressure switch or the power paq
Basic+ injection-2 jets controlled via PWM-pulsed like an injector via a custom tuned injection map in the power paq
direct port-4 direct port jets controlled via PWM-pulsed like an injector via a custom tuned injection map in the power paq

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark... are you referring to my SRT or the RL?

Have you seen if htere are any negative effects on the Teflon coatings of the Supercharger rotors?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
SporkLover said:
Mark... are you referring to my SRT or the RL?

Have you seen if htere are any negative effects on the Teflon coatings of the Supercharger rotors?

I run water injection preblower on the twincharged mini. absolutely no problems. The kits will work on an srt or a redline.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run water injection preblower on the twincharged mini. absolutely no problems. The kits will work on an srt or a redline.
Yeah most GTP people don't have problems either, but have you actually pulled the supercharger and looked at the rotors?

Not trying to argue that you dont have problems, I am just curious if it has the same effect on cars without the M90. Im not too sure of the importance of the teflon coatings anyway.... because plenty of GTP guys run without the coatings... but because of the coatings being eaten away alot of people have stopped using the WI kits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts