Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here tried flushing the radiator and then replacing with a 75/25 distilled water and water wetter/anti-freeze mix? And can I put straight water and water wetter in the intercooler? I've heard you can't do 100% water even in summer since if you use ac it could be bad. Can someone help on this one? I think the water wetter and water mix with a small amount of antifreeze would really help heat issues. and much cheaper then alcohol injection. Which is another topic I suppose.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
cheaper than alcky injection, it is nothing like alcky injection, that is like saying a headers are cheaper than a turbo. water wetter is just a different type of coolant (if i remember correctly) and it is gonna cool down your engine,intercooler coils but not nearly as much as alcky injection will and it will not have any of the other benifits of alcky injection.

i think i am correct on all this rambling and i dont mean to come off like i am screaming but antifreeze is not gonna come close to alcky injection no matter how good it is.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I have watter wetter in my intercooler. The bottle says NOT to use the combinations that you're saying. I think. It's pretty specific about what to do, and how much to add. You're basically improving the heat transfer to the liquid in the intercooler system. I don't believe water wetter has any temperature resistant properties on its own, like anti-freeze. I don't think it raises the boiling point of water. So if you're pulling MORE heat from the air, and providing LESS of a temp buffer in the coolant... I'm almost positive it dosen't include the lubricants that antifreeze does, which keep the heat exchanger from corroding, and the pump impeller lubed.

Check the bottle, if you haven't already, and see what it says, I'm pretty sure that it advises against what you're saying. If the coils in the intercooler corrode, that's a big chuck to have fly into your manifold.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i've got a bit in the intercooler, and some in the engine. my temp stays a sliver below where it used to after running for a while on the freeway.

not a major difference.

i also would recommend reading the bottle to use it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vita said:
i've got a bit in the intercooler, and some in the engine. my temp stays a sliver below where it used to after running for a while on the freeway.

not a major difference.

i also would recommend reading the bottle to use it
Of course I read the bottle before posting. I know some people in hot climates like mine reduce the percentage of antifreeze because it doesn't cool as well as pure distilled water. So that's why I say 80/20 or 75/25 mix which I have heard. Water wetter and pure water is ideal, but I don't think any manufacturer would allow that. Would it matter if I did pure water in the intercooler?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
dickjones said:
Of course I read the bottle before posting. I know some people in hot climates like mine reduce the percentage of antifreeze because it doesn't cool as well as pure distilled water. So that's why I say 80/20 or 75/25 mix which I have heard. Water wetter and pure water is ideal, but I don't think any manufacturer would allow that. Would it matter if I did pure water in the intercooler?
If you live in a very hot place, unless you have a car in which the cooling system is not working right, you shouldn't add less antifreeze. It also makes the boiling point drop WAY down. I mean, a little playing around isn't going to make a big deal, but WaterWetter dosen't change your boiling point, so your gonna blow steam when it hits 212, and the WatterWetter is going to make that happen faster. You also don't have the corrosion inhibitors in there, so that's another strike. Pure water will allow the intercooler, pump, and heat exchanger to 'rust' much faster.

WatterWetter is good stuff, so I hear, but it's not gonna be a savior or anything, there's better routes to go with the intercooler. You need to look at cooling it, rather than increasing the heat transfer. As it is, you have a limited amount of time at full intercooler efficincey. It's acting like a big heatsink, and if its hot out, and you're racing, it's going to heat up. Once it's hot, it's not going to work as well. Cooling it is the key... and you need to cool it a decent amont.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts