Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

went to the drag strip

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  clownhair 
#1 ·
So I made the journey out to Stanton this past Sunday. I think every ricer car club in Michigan was there. Usually the place is filled with a bunch of older cars that are so loud they make your eardrums explode. Well they were there in minor numbers, but at least half of the cars were civics,cavaliers, etc... you know what type of cars I am talking about. They had there stickers and expansive wings and there mighty 17 second passes. I would venture a guess that they had never been to a dragstrip either. None of them could figure out how to stage. I think the guy working the lights was about to maul someone. We even seen BOTH lanes stage up with there REAR tires. So some of my races of note, 2nd run had me pitted against a MKII supra. I had seen him cut a high 17 second qrtr earlier and wasn't to concerned. I was however concerned with his spikey hair, I figured if he got mad at me he would charge me like a rhino and impale me. Well we stage up, I notice he has his gangsta lean in full effect, one hand on the stearing wheel the other stroking his chin. Lights flash and we jump, oh shit he got the drop on me maybe I am gonna lose, err wait nevermind. I barrel past him and collect my slip. 4th race had me against a newer style prelude. Not sure what model, as it had no badges and was painted primer gray, but I am sure it was fast since his tail lights and body kit were falling off (from the excessive speeds I figured) He made it a point to race me in fact, pointing at me to the lane worker while mouthing "I want to race him" Wow I felt very special. We drive up to stage , I dodge the water pit while he tramples straight on through. Staged, green, go! I have him right off the bat. Wow I think he is actually sticking with me. I check my side mirrors again, nope he is wayback now. Another easy victory. 5th run had me pitted against the supra again. Man he looks very pissed off. He keeps looking over and giving me the eye, or maybe he was winking at me ( Imagining some secret **** erotic fantasy for sure). Were staged and he keeps learing over, we take off and he is back, very far back. Later I would be amused to find out that halfway down the run he looked over again, to find me not there. A heckler in the crowd had screamed " You better start looking forward, because he is WAY ahead of you now!"

So it was a blast as usual. The Ion had a best run of 15.0 @95mph. My best 60 was a 2.3 The car definately has some 14 second runs in it if I can drive better. Some other cars of notice were an 05 mustang gt, his best that I saw was a 14.0 @ 99mph. There was a MKIV supra turbo there running high 12's, couple EVOs running low 13's high 12's. Few LS1 fbods also running low 13's high 12's. A very cool Mazda Mx3 with yellow windshield wipers runnin 20's.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice story. reminds me of my first and only time at the strip (in my old Tiburon GTv6) when i was up against a neon with more stickers than i could have hoped to count, and a big ol' aluminum wing on their. this run my fiance was in the car with me, and she said, "We'll take him!" I told her that if he had a part for every sticker on the car, we SHOULD lose (my tiburon was auto, and ran a best of 15.7 with I/H/E).

so we get to it, and we blew his doors off with my 15.8 pass with my girl in the car, i still have the slips, and he ran 18.xxx somthing. i couldn't help but laugh all the back to the lines while my fiance "told me so"

it's fun to watch the ricers race, but even more fun to watch cars you think should be fast get lower times than you thought, corvettes come to mind on that night, as well as a 350z.

i also raced a talon turbo (also an auto) and only lost by a bit, i think he pulled 15.5 or so. good times, and i can't wait to get out there in the RL which is my first car with a stick to get me to take her to the strip

#3 ·
clownhair said:
A very cool Mazda Mx3 with yellow windshield wipers runnin 20's.
Hahaha that's great. Sounds like a good time man. Where in Michigan is Stanton? I only know of the Milan dragway outside of Detroit (far outside). Post you time slips if you got em too so people on here can see what type of times we're running.

#5 ·
Next time you go to the track, if you are lined up against the supra again play with him. Going down the track stay relitivly close to him then at about halfway down, just floor it and kick his ass. He'll be all "Wow, my mods are working, I might beat him this time...wait...where'd he go :confused: ...WTF!!!!...RAAAAAAAAA"

#6 ·
jpapa said:
Hahaha that's great. Sounds like a good time man. Where in Michigan is Stanton? I only know of the Milan dragway outside of Detroit (far outside). Post you time slips if you got em too so people on here can see what type of times we're running.
Stanton is just about dead in the middle of the lower peninsula. The Track is called Mid Michigan Motorplex. I will get the slip scanned later this week and get it to you fellas. Maybe even by tonight.

#8 ·
quick4dr said:
That makes me want to go to the track but cant until I get new tires. :(
you drive an srt4 right? Got any advice on how to launch this thing? I am used to rear wheel drive cars. A 1.9 60 ft. time would help alot. BTW there was a red SRT-4 there running about 13.7@99mph. His BOV was loud so maybe it was upgraded? Seemed pretty stock otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.