Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my first good look under the hood this evening, and I couldn't help but notice that the intercooler lines just seem to run through the radiator. Is that right? Is there a seperate radiator for the intercooler, or does it just work like an automatic trans cooler in most older cars? Would there be anything to gain from seperating the intercooler into its own small radiator, like an oil cooler type set-up or something?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I was taking my first good look under the hood this evening, and I couldn't help but notice that the intercooler lines just seem to run through the radiator. Is that right? Is there a seperate radiator for the intercooler, or does it just work like an automatic trans cooler in most older cars? Would there be anything to gain from seperating the intercooler into its own small radiator, like an oil cooler type set-up or something?
It has it's own radiator. It's the front most unit. The larger rear one is the actual Radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
If the front aluminum one is the intercooler and the bigger black one is for the cooling system, where is the A/C rad, if there even is one? :confused:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Canadian GP said:
If the front aluminum one is the intercooler and the bigger black one is for the cooling system, where is the A/C rad, if there even is one? :confused:
There is one, I have been told it is inbetween the two near the bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Order from front of car to back;

*A/C Condensor (radiator)
*CCHE or Charge Cooler Heat Exchanger (the radiator for the air 2 water intercooler)
*Engine Radiator
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
I believe it is the other way around, I have never in my limited car experience seen a AC Condenser that is as big as the first radiator. I will have to make a not to take a look at a Regular ION sometime and see if this is the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
MotorMouth said:
Order from front of car to back;

*A/C Condensor (radiator)
*CCHE or Charge Cooler Heat Exchanger (the radiator for the air 2 water intercooler)
*Engine Radiator
You are correct sir!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
i've looked at it plenty of times and i believe that it's

A/C condensor
oil cooler
radiator (the intercooler lines go into the radiator)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Interesting modification note involving the intercooler - Apten Performance in Illinois has modified bunches of Eaton blowers on Mustang Cobras - they enlarge the openings at the bottom by nearly twice the area, and netted a little more noise at 38 hp at the wheels. I can't help but think this would give us 15-20 hp.

I contacted them right after getting my Redline, and offered to drive over several weekends in a row, or lend them my car for a week to do research on the blower, but the guy was kind of a jerk - he wanted me to BUY another Eaton blower and bring it to him, and he'd "see what he could do.."

I was more than a little bit shocked that he expected a consumer to provide financial support for his R&D....but I'd still be interested in the modification. If anyone knows anyone at Apten, please contact and see what we can cook up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
The intercooler is a large aluminum unit that for the most part wont need to be replaced or moved its in a good location as long as you are moving. If not you get a ton of heatsoak from the radiator behind it. Once a mod comes along to keep the fans running to keep air moving over the unit itll be better. Port ing the supercharger may net some power if the opening on the manifold is bigger than the superchargers outlet. We need to get a bigger supercharger rather than modify this one to much. To my numbers this one is going to kill us around the 300hp to the wheel mark. The unit will run out of breath or will be spun to fast creating failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I was talking about porting the supercharger, by the way - my post sounded like I was talking about the intercooler.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
i know its the superchager outlet you are talking about. But you would most likely wanna gasket port match it to the manifold and polish them both.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Along this same idea... I was flipping through my new Summit catalog and saw an intercooler/intake charge cooling system. Is anyone familiar with these? I have seen people using nitrous oxide to cool the intercooler(s) in racing applications plenty of times. The system that I was just looking at uses liquid CO2 to fill an metal plumbing system that either attaches to the intake, or can be used in a spray manner to jet right on to the intercooler it self. Thoughts?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I've seen these in use, connected to a full-throttle solenoid, and they can reduce intercooler air exit temps by 80-100 degrees, often dropping the temps down into the 50-80 degree range - that makes for one heckuva cold charge hitting your combustion chamber and is easily good for 25 hp (on an EVO, for instance) at WOT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Along this same idea... I was flipping through my new Summit catalog and saw an intercooler/intake charge cooling system. Is anyone familiar with these? I have seen people using nitrous oxide to cool the intercooler(s) in racing applications plenty of times. The system that I was just looking at uses liquid CO2 to fill an metal plumbing system that either attaches to the intake, or can be used in a spray manner to jet right on to the intercooler it self. Thoughts?
These are only for air to air set ups. In an A2A the air is passing directly through the intercooler radiator in the front of the car. On these CO2 systems they spray on to the intercoolers core surface improving the latent heat transfer of the intercooler and reduce air charge temps. Our cars use an air to water exchanger where the air passes through the intercooler cores inside the intake. These cores are filled with coolant and this coolant is pumped out of the core and into the CCHE (Charge Cooler Heat Exchanger) where the fluid is cooled and sent back into the Laminova core. The cooling affect would not be great enough to affect charge air temps on an air to water cooler car.

Translation=waste of time and money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
my buddy has a 8 sec turbo charged Trans Am. current second place fastest LS1. but anyway they have a air to water set up but before it hits the intercooler it runs though a ice bath like what you see carbed boys use to cool the fuel down. this gives them air temps of around 50-60 degrees on a nice 75-80 night. just a thought since we got all that space on the pass. side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
I have been actually thinking about a set up like that.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Banned
Joined
·
572 Posts
i know some dude that seperated the two and put it in front of everything (ex the condenser radiator) to his millenia s and it gave him 25 hp to the wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Has anyone thought about adding some water wetter to our intercooler? I hear it does wonders for the standard cooling system, but what if we syphoned out some out of the system and replaced it with a bottle. Is the stuff worth a sh*t or what? Any one have any suggestions or comments about it. If the stuff actually works, and helps dissipate heat faster then why not??
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top